Negative impact of too many Tourists, immigrants etc.

Malcolm

‘Go f*cking home’: The European cities where locals are fighting back against overtourism

Picturesque but troubled: A view of Malaga's centre

Copyright  Yuliya Matuzava via Unsplash
Published on 15/03/2024 - 15:29Updated 18/03/2024 - 10:09
Share this articleComments

Millions of holidaymakers visit the Costa de Sol and Málaga, one of its most popular destinations, every year, but now locals are saying enough is enough.

Málaga locals are frustrated by the growing influx of tourists and now they’re expressing their feelings in no uncertain terms.

The Spanish city’s centre has been hit with a wave of stickers, posted on walls and doors, telling visitors what residents think of them.

Walk the streets of Málaga and you’ll see these daubs, ranging from the fairly mild “this used to be my home” (antes esta era mi casa) and “this used to be the city centre” (antes esto era el centro) all the way to “go f*cking home” (a tu puta casa), “stinking of tourist” (apestando a turista).

Malaga is becoming ever more popular thanks to recent business investments and the pleasant climate Malaga is becoming ever more popular thanks to recent business investments and the pleasant climateJonas Denil via Unsplash

Why are Málaga locals so irate with tourists?

The city on the Costa del Sol has long been a popular destination for visitors, thanks to its sunny climate and relatively low cost of living. However, it’s recently become an even more desirable destination for holidaymakers and digital nomads alike.

Many locals have simply had enough. Bar owner Dani Drunko runs a much-frequented bar in Málaga called Drunkorama. He started the ‘sticker initiative’, having favourite anti-tourist phrases given to him by bar regulars printed and posted around the city.

Speaking to a local newspaper Diario Sur, Drunko explained that he began the campaign after he was apparently “kicked out” of the home he’d lived in for a decade.

He claimed that the landlord refused to negotiate the rent or even sell him the property. The reason? They wanted to turn it into a short-term rental for tourists.

“There’s a lot of hype because locals are tired of the situation; I just suggested the idea of the catchphrases, I offered the spark, and now others have joined,” Drunko told Diario Sur.

“Málaga city centre has been going downhill for a long time, so much so that if for example something in my bar breaks, I don't have a hardware store on hand to buy anything, since the tourist who comes doesn’t need to buy screws,” he added.

Local politician Dani Pérez took to X - formerly Twitter - to add his voice to the growing discontentment.

“You walk the streets of Málaga and it is practically impossible to find a residential building that does not have a lockbox [for tourist rentals],” he wrote, going on to accuse the city’s mayor, Paco de la Torre, of “not lifting a finger for the people of Malaga” and “expelling them from the city where they were born.”

Last November, a local reporter for news website The Local Spain reported that Málaga is “definitely busier than before during low season,” while confirming the existence of lockboxes “everywhere” and commenting that restaurant prices have seen huge hikes in recent months.

What makes Málaga so popular with foreign visitors?

Spain’s Costa del Sol, home to Málaga, has been hugely popular with tourists for years. In 2023, a record 14 million holidaymakers from Spain and abroad visited - and a fair few visitors decided to make the city their home.

Recent data from Spain’s National Statistics Institute (INE) shows that eight out of 10 new residents moving to Málaga are currently foreigners.

It’s not just individuals changing the face of the city, though. Some 630 tech companies, including Google, have opened offices in Málaga, turning it into a quasi-Silicon Valley of Europe.

That has the knock on effect of drawing thousands of international remote workers and digital nomads, attracted by the heady combination of a pleasant work environment and warm climate.

Málaga locals, though, think enough is enough, believing they are being priced out and alienated from their own home city.

Which other European destinations have fought back against overtourism?

Earlier in March, the Canary Islands - a territory of Spain - saw graffiti pop up ordering tourists to “go home”.

With its year-round sun and warm weather, the Canaries are an always-popular destination for foreign visitors - and tourism is seen as the island group’s largest money maker.

One of the most popular islands, Tenerife, recently declared a water emergency. That added more fuel to the fire for locals, as some tourist areas there use up to six times more water than residential areas, putting pressure on reserves crucial for drinking water and farming.

In February, nearby Gran Canaria saw walls emblazoned with the message, 'tourists and digital nomads go home', something newspaper the Canarian Weekly reported as 'tourismphobia'.

On the Balearic island Mallorca last August, residents put up fake signs along a number of beaches, reading: “beware of dangerous jellyfish” and “caution, falling rocks”.

All written in English, the signs also featured, in smaller print, explanations in Catalan informing locals that warnings are not real. Instead, the text read: “the problem isn’t a rockfall, it’s mass tourism” and “beach open except for foreigners (guiris) and jellyfish”.

Overtourism isn’t just a problem in Spanish territories, though.

Many European nations have been putting tourist taxes in place, including Venice which has also banned cruise ships from entering its endangered canal system.

In Amsterdam, authorities and locals alike have been trying for months to encourage - mostly British - drunken tourists to stay away and in Kyoto, Japan, roads have been sealed off to ensure the city doesn't become a ‘theme park’.

Other top tourist destinations are begging people not to visit, with many simply not having the infrastructure to accommodate them.

Hawaii is on many people’s bucket lists, but continues to struggle with hospitality worker shortages, congested roads and 90-minute restaurant waiting times as tourists still arrive in droves.

While the problem does appear to be a global one, it is Spain that is leading the grassroots fight back.

Graffiti in Barcelona last year read: “We spit in your beer. Cheers!” - yet tourists continue to flock there. 

Euronews Travel reached out to the Málaga tourist board for comment but have yet to receive a response.

TRAVEL
I'm a native Hawaiian. Locals are tired of tourists treating the island like a theme park – here's what to know before you visit.
Pooja Shah Nov 9, 2023, 3:44 AM MST

Keani Rawlins-Fernandez grew up in Hawaii and has seen tourism increase over the years.
Now a local council member, Rawlins-Fernandez says locals can f

This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Keani Rawlins-Fernandez, a vice chair of the Maui County Council, about how tourism has affected her life in Hawaii. The following has been edited for length and clarity.

The tropical islands of Hawaii have long been a dream destination for tourists, drawn by the pristine beaches, vibrant culture, and an "aloha" free spirit. But for me it's home.

Many economic, social, and financial issues arise with unrestricted tourism, and I don't know how Hawaii will continue to cope with these numbers.

I grew up in Molokai, the only island of Hawaii where the economy is not reliant on tourism. Here, agriculture and farming are our main industries.

As a policymaker, I use my platform to fight against unrestricted tourism, counteract our current housing crisis, and campaign to protect our ocean and reef health.

It's my responsibility to advocate for my local community
When I was growing up, big corporations fell in love with the white-sand beaches, canoes, and divers and transformed our land into a shoreline of resorts like Waikiki in Oahu. They attempted to do this in Molokai, but the community fought it.

I went to law school to become a policymaker because it was my kuleana — responsibility — to advocate for my community the same way my elders did.

I was inspired by the work of Uncle Walter Ritte, a Native Hawaiian activist and educator who protested the military bombing practices on Kaho'olawe and won its eventual return to Native Hawaiian control from the US military.

I hold the County Council seat for the Molokai residency area and am part of the Efficiency Solutions and Circular Systems Committee, where I can discuss high-level budgets and allocation of resources to solve economic inequality that has been around for generations.

Keani Rawlins Fernandez, Maui County Council Vice-Chair
Rawlins-Fernandez is a vice chair of the Maui County Council. Keani Rawlins-Fernandez
Tourism has displaced Native Hawaiians by driving up costs
The number of tourists in Hawaii is overwhelming the local population and threatening the islands' cultural heritage.

Native Hawaiians, already displaced from their lands during colonization, are experiencing a housing crisis. When houses become available, they are bought by tourists instead of locals.

I lived in Bali for 2 months. These 7 popular tourist spots were not worth the hype.

People are buying our land as investment properties, so our Kanaka 'Ōiwi — locals — are forced to move further out, and they can't maintain their local traditions or routines. Basically, they need to start over and make a new place their home.

The cost of living has skyrocketed as demand drives up real-estate prices. Residents of islands like Maui and Oahu, where tourism is at peak levels, rely on resorts and hotels for jobs to support their livelihood.

During COVID, there was no tourism, and their jobs were the first to go. My island in Molokai fared better because the model is to cater to local businesses and local patrons instead.

We can't commute easily because tourists are getting their sunset pictures
A large part of Hawaii's economy is reliant on tourism, but in popular tourist areas, overtourism is placing huge strains on the infrastructure and environment — especially when the number of visitors exceeds the resident population.

For example, famous sights like Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head on Oahu draw crowds of tourists for sunrise or sunset views. This clogs up our highways during the hours when locals are trying to commute or drop their kids off at school.

The state Department of Transportation wants to create more parking spots or widen highways. Instead, people should consider group trolley systems like the ones in Zion National Park in Utah, which I recently visited, to manage tourists. This makes more sense than allowing tourists to rent their own car for the duration of their visit.

Locals feel like their home is a theme park — and it can be dangerous
Our locals feel like their homes are treated like a theme park and there's no more privacy.

We've heard stories of tourists trespassing on properties for photo opportunities. But they need to understand that unlike television or social-media posts, this is real life.

There aren't always safeguards and railings at places like our waterfalls or volcanoes. Tourists have passed away or become severely hurt. It puts our emergency responders at risk if tourists are trespassing in dangerous places.

Advertisement

Our beaches and reefs are being degraded for the sake of tourism
Excessive tourist activity is also taking a major toll on Hawaii's fragile island ecosystems.

For instance, the natural sand dunes in Hawaii enable a cyclical restoration of the white-sand beaches. However, the construction of resorts and hotel chains on the dunes disrupts this cycle, preventing the beaches from replenishing lost sand. With the dunes unable to supply fresh sand, the beaches steadily erode away.

I've seen temporary seawalls being built in front of condos and resorts which interrupt the natural cycle of sand migration. We see how degraded our coral reefs, essential for marine wildlife, are in the face of pollution, sunscreen toxins, and careless snorkelers.

We are islands, and we don't have that much land to bury trash in landfills, so excessive rubbish ends up in our waters and damages the ecosystem.

Advertisement

Tourism has perks, but it needs to be managed better
There are some positives to the steady increase in tourists, like those tourists who volunteer with the Red Cross. However, extractive tourism needs to stop. I also want our community to rely on other jobs, because tourism ebbs and flows.

My message to tourists is to visit responsibly, respect local culture, and minimize one's footprint. Support local businesses over chain restaurants, go on tours instead of taking your own or a rented vehicle, make sure you're staying at a legitimate Airbnb or VRBO, and come with respect and gratitude, not entitlement.

Step by step: Will anti-foreign sentiment impact Phuket’s tourism?

Phuket, the ‘Monaco of the east’, shines with its beautiful beaches, hedonistic nightlife and a culture renowned for its welcoming smiles. However, a recent surge in anti-foreign sentiment fueled by incidents like the Urs Fehr controversy and tensions with Russian tourists, raises a critical question: could this lead to a rise in nationalism and populism, and have a deep impact on Phuket’s tourism industry, the lifeblood of the island’s economy?

opinion
By The Phuket News

Sunday 17 March 2024 10:00 AM

Local residents hold aloft the Thai flag at a protest at Yamu Beach earlier this month. Photo: The Phuket News

Local residents hold aloft the Thai flag at a protest at Yamu Beach earlier this month. Photo: The Phuket News

Nationalism and Populism: A Recipe for Division

Nationalism and populism, though often intertwined, have distinct characteristics. Nationalism emphasises a strong sense of national identity, often tied to common ancestry, language and culture. It can manifest in a desire for national unity and a sense of superiority over other cultures. Populism, on the other hand, positions itself as the voice of the "common people", often against a perceived elite or establishment. This is often achieved by scapegoating minority groups, including foreigners, for social and economic problems.

Nationalist and populist rhetoric frequently plays upon anxieties about national decline and economic hardship. In Thailand, it is more about inequity. Foreigners become convenient targets, blamed for stealing jobs, suppressing wages and diluting cultural values. This can lead to policies affecting immigration, limiting foreign ownership of businesses and stoking social division.

Thailand’s Whispering History

While Thailand prides itself on its warm hospitality and reputation as the ‘Land of Smiles’, its history reveals a less rosy past regarding nationalism. In his book ‘Siam Mapped’ Thongchai Winichakul spends the first chapter discussing the Thai obsession with what is Thainess, the starkest conclusion is that most experts cannot define what Thainess is but only what it is not, by simply listing characteristics of other nations’ failings and how they are the opposite of ‘Thainess’. 

Early last century, the ‘Asia for the Asians’ sentiment, a reaction to Western imperialism, underscored the desire for self-determination and national pride. However, this also fueled anxieties regarding Chinese immigration, leading to policies that restricted their economic and social mobility. These historical currents highlight the potential for nationalism to resurface in Thailand, particularly during times of economic uncertainty and perceived threats to national identity.

Exacerbating tensions in Phuket

It’s not only recent news stories that have led to rising tensions. Several factors could also be in play exacerbating anti-foreign sentiment in Phuket. 

NEW ARRIVALS: The recent surge of Russian arrivals fleeing the war in Ukraine presents both opportunities and challenges. While their presence can potentially inject new capital and diversify the tourist base, their cultural differences and potential language barriers may create a sense of alienation if not managed effectively. Integrating these newcomers into the local community is proving difficult. Stern demeanors and scant bikinis in areas not on the beach are often read as rude and disrespectful.

ECONOMIC ANXIETY: The scars left by the COVID-19 pandemic still run deep. The tourism industry, which heavily relies on foreign visitors, suffered immensely. Whilst tourism is recovering well, the economic hardship of the period plus the global cost of living crisis has left people poorer than ever before. Wages have risen but are far below real-life inflation. This leaves them susceptible to influences that play into the hands of any wannabee populist.

THE BURMESE CONUNDRUM: Burmese migrants, a significant part of Phuket’s workforce, are often accused of accepting lower wages, putting downward pressure on salaries for Thai workers. While their work ethic can be seen as an asset, it also highlights the skills gap and lack of training opportunities for some Thais. Unless these issues are addressed and locals are pushed into learning skills, it’s hard to see how resentment won’t grow. 

Nationalism, a potential enemy of Phuket’s tourism success

The consequences of a nationalist turn in Thailand would be particularly devastating for Phuket. Tourism, the island’s economic engine, thrives on its reputation as a welcoming and inclusive destination. Anti-foreign sentiment, coupled with policies restricting foreign investment which Thailand is already well known for, could scare away visitors. This would lead to a decline in hotel occupancy rates, restaurant closures, and a crippling loss of revenue for local businesses. The ripple effect would be devastating, impacting livelihoods across various sectors. For an island that lacks a plan B, the implications could be devastating.

Phuket wouldn’t be alone in facing such consequences. Countries such as Greece and Hungary, which have seen a rise in nationalist populism, have also witnessed a decline in tourism, demonstrating the economic perils of xenophobia.

A Brighter Future: Fostering Harmony

The future of Phuket, and Thailand as a whole, hinges on today’s choices. Will the country succumb to the siren song of nationalism, or will it embrace its multicultural identity and chart a course of inclusivity? The answer will determine whether Phuket remains a paradise or withers on the vine of resentment. The smiles of Thailand are not just a facade; they are a symbol of the country’s welcoming spirit. By fostering understanding and embracing diversity, Thailand can ensure those smiles continue to light the way for a brighter future.

Simon Causton is a long-time Phuket resident, founder of Citadel Phuket and author of ‘The Phuket Periodical’ newsletter. X (Twitter): @SimonCauston

[14/24]

Protest against the introduction of the registration and tourist fee to visit the city of Venice

People protest against the introduction of the registration and tourist fee to visit the city of Venice for day trippers introduced by Venice municipality in a move to preserve the lagoon city often crammed with tourists in Venice, Italy, April 25. REUTERS/Manuel Silvestri

The fee is charged for day visits between 8.30 a.m. and 4 p.m. For 2024, it's a flat 5 euros ($5.45) per person per day. For 2024, the city has exempted the fee for those traveling to most of the lagoon islands, including visitor hubs Murano and Burano, as well as the Lido, home to the city's beaches.

Venice entry fee: How to pay and what to do if you’re staying in the city? | CNN

Fullscreen button

To fend off tourists, a town in Japan is building a big screen blocking the view of Mount Fuji

To fend off tourists, a town in Japan is building a big screen blocking the view of Mount Fuji© Provided by The Canadian Press

FUJIKAWAGUCHIKO, Japan (AP) — The town of Fujikawaguchiko has had enough of tourists.

Known for a number of scenic photo spots that offer a near-perfect shot of Japan’s iconic Mount Fuji, the town on Tuesday began constructing a large black screen on a stretch of a sidewalk to block the view of the mountain. The reason: misbehaving foreign tourists.

“Kawaguchiko is a town built on tourism, and I welcome many visitors, and the town welcomes them too, but there are many things about their manners that are worrying,” said Michie Motomochi, owner of a cafe serving Japanese sweets “ohagi,” near the soon-to-be-blocked photo spot.

Motomochi mentioned littering, crossing the road with busy traffic, ignoring traffic lights, trespassing into private properties. She isn't unhappy though — 80% of her customers are foreign visitors whose numbers have surged after a pandemic hiatus that kept Japan closed for about two years.

Her neighborhood suddenly became a popular spot about two years ago, apparently after a photo taken in a particular angle showing Mount Fuji in the background, as if sitting atop a local convenience store, became a social media sensation known as “Mt. Fuji Lawson,” town officials say

The mostly foreign tourists have since crowded the small area, triggering a wave of concerns and complaints from residents about visitors blocking the narrow sidewalk, taking photos on the busy road or walking into neighbors’ properties, officials said.

In Europe, concerns over tourists overcrowding historic cities led Venice last week to launch a pilot program to charge day-trippers a 5-euro ($5.35) entry fee. Authorities hope it will discourage visitors from arriving on peak days and make the city more livable for its dwindling residents.

Fujikawaguchiko has tried other methods: signs urging visitors not to run into the road and to use the designated crosswalk in English, Chinese, Thai and Korean, and even hiring a security guard as crowd control. None worked.

The black mesh net, when completed in mid-May, will be 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) high and 20 meters (65.6 feet) long, and will almost completely block the view of Mount Fuji, officials said.

Dozens of tourists gathered Tuesday taking photos even though Mount Fuji was not in sight due to cloudy weather.

Anthony Hok, from France, thought the screen was an overreaction. “Too big solution for subject not as big, even if tourists are making trouble. Doesn't look right to me," he said. The 26-year-old suggested setting up road barriers for safety instead of blocking views for pictures.

But Helen Pull, a 34-year-old visitor from the U.K., was sympathetic to the local concern. While traveling in Japan in the past few weeks, she has seen tourism “really ramped up here in Japan from what we've seen."

“I can see why people who live and work here might want to do something about that," she said, noting many were taking pictures even when the mountain was not in the view. "That's the power of the social media.”

Foreign visitors have flocked to Japan since the pandemic border restrictions were lifted, in part due to the weaker yen.

Last year, Japan had more than 25 million visitors, and the number this year is expected to surpass nearly 32 million, a record from 2019, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization. And the government wants more tourists.

While the booming tourism has helped the industry, it has triggered complaints from residents in popular tourist destinations, such as Kyoto and Kamakura. In Kyoto, a famous geisha district recently decided to close some private-property alleys.

Locals are uncertain about what to do.

Motomochi said she cannot imagine how the black screen can help control the flow of people on the narrow pedestrian walk and the road next to it.

Yoshihiko Ogawa, who runs a more than half-century-old rice shop in the Fujikawaguchiko area, said the overcrowding worsened in the past few months, with tourists gathering from around 4-5 a.m. and talking loudly. He sometimes struggles to get his car in and out of garage.

“We’ve never thought we'd face a situation like this,” Ogawa said, adding he is unsure what the solution might be. “I suppose we all just need to get use to it.”

• 3 weeks later...

We can't have nice things! Japan imposes new rules to climb Mt. Fuji to fight overtourism, littering

/content/dam/ctvnews/en/images/2024/5/20/mount-fuji-1-6893723-1716216371909.jpgMount Fuji appears behind a Torii gate, an entrance gate to a Shinto shrine, in Sagami Bay, April 6, 2022, in Zushi, south of Tokyo. (AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato)
Mari Yamaguchi
Published May 20, 2024 8:48 a.m. MDT
TOKYO -

Those who want to climb one of the most popular trails of the iconic Japanese Mount Fuji will now have to reserve ahead and pay a fee as the picturesque stratovolcano struggles with overtourism, littering and those who attempt rushed "bullet climbing," putting lives at risk.

The Yamanashi prefecture said in a statement via the Foreign Press Center of Japan Monday it introduced new rules for the climbing season, starting July 1 to Sep. 10 for those hiking the Yoshida Trail on the Yamanashi side of the 3776 metre- (nearly 12,300 feet-) high mountain, designated a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site in 2013.

Only 4,000 climbers will be allowed to enter the trail per day; 3,000 slots will be available for online booking at a fee of 2,000 yen (about US$18), and the remaining 1,000 can be booked in person on the day of the climb.

RELATED STORIES

Climbers can book their slots via Mount Fuji Climbing's official website, jointly run by the Environment Ministry and Mt. Fuji's two home prefectures Yamanashi and Shizuoka.

Mt. Fuji is divided into 10 stations, and there are four "5th stations" halfway up the mountain from where the four trails -- the Yoshida, Fujinomiya, Subashiri, and Gotemba -- start to the top.

Under the new system, climbers need to choose whether they will do a day hike or stay overnight at the several available huts across the trail. Once they input their information and the day of the climb, they are given a QR code to be scanned at the 5th station. Those who have not booked an overnight hut will be sent back down and not allowed to climb between 4 p.m. and 3 a.m., mainly to stop climbers who rush to the summit without adequate rest, raising safety concerns, authorities said.

Yamanashi Gov. Kotaro Nagasaki thanked people, in a statement, for their understanding and cooperation in helping conserve Mt. Fuji.

The Shizuoka prefecture, southwest of Mt. Fuji, where climbers can also access the mountain, has sought a voluntary 1,000-yen (US$6.4) fee per climber since 2014 and is considering additional ways to balance tourism and environmental protection.

The number of Mt. Fuji climbers during the season in 2023 totaled 221,322, according to the Environment Ministry.

The announcement came just as a town in Shizuoka was to set up a huge black screen on a sidewalk to block a view of Mt. Fuji because of tourists overcrowding the area to take photos with the mountain as a background of a convenience store, a social media phenomenon known as "Mt. Fuji Lawson." This has inconvenienced locals and disrupted their businesses and road traffic.

Over-tourism has also become a growing issue at other popular tourist destinations such as Kyoto and Kamakura as foreign visitors have flocked to Japan in droves since the Coronavirus pandemic restrictions were lifted, in part due to the weaker yen.

Last year, Japan had more than 25 million visitors, and the figures in 2024 are expected to surpass nearly 32 million, a record from 2019, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization.

Fullscreen button

Warning for tourists visiting Italy as locals are fuming over popular activity

When we think of Italy, we may think of sparkling coast, colourful buildings on cliffs, and dining outside on cobbled streets, an Aperol Spritz in hand.

But it seems Italians aren’t too happy with our love of alfresco dining on holiday, with some branding outdoor seating areas — where people chow down on pizza and pasta — ‘monstrous’.

So if you’re visiting soon and plan on enjoying a meal with a view, be warned you might find yourself the recipient of a few disapproving looks.

In recent years, it has become much easier for businesses across the country to apply for outdoor seating licences, and as such, around 180,000 temporary licences have been granted since 2021.

But these licences won’t be expiring anytime soon, as the Italian government recently announced plans to extend them indefinitely, much to the outrage of residents.

‘We have worked tirelessly on a new regulation, taking into account the different urban characteristics of the city,’ she said.

Carlo Rienzi, head of consumer group Codacons also berated the announcement, branding outdoor seating with plastic tablecloths ‘monstrous’ and claiming that umbrellas, platforms, tables, and chairs on streets cause ‘enormous damage to citizens’ and ‘ruin the image of cities in the eyes of foreign visitors’.

And it’s not hard to see why they’re fuming, as in the past three years alone the amount of space in Rome taken up by alfresco dining has more than quintupled, going from 21,000 sq m to 112,000 sq m.

Do you enjoy alfresco dining while on holiday in Italy?Comment Now

But it’s not just Rome that’s experienced issues with outdoor tables.

Those living in Milan have suffered through years of noise complaints and even lawsuits over loud noise caused by tourists eating and drinking outside late at night.

As such, the stylish city has had to implement limits on the sale of takeaway food and drink after midnight and outdoor seating also has to end by 12:30am on weekdays, and by no later than 1:30am on weekends. People who want to stay out later have to head indoors.

Despite the backlash, restaurant owners across Italy are hopeful they’ll be able to keep their outdoor seating areas, which many say are ‘fundamental’ for the survival of their business, as they attract so many tourists.

And of course, tourists will be keen to see alfresco dining continue across Italy, because let’s face it, a plate of bruschetta and a glass of wine consumed on a grey UK street just doesn’t hit the same, does it?!

Menorcan resort chains up streets to prevent tourists taking selfies

Story by Taryn Pedler
  1d 

popular Menorcan resort known as 'Spain's Mykonos' has chained up its streets to prevent holidaymakers taking selfies on them in the latest attack on tourists.

The 195 homeowners of Binibeca Vell have said they do not want any visitors before 11am and after 8pm as anti-tourist signs attached to thick rope and chains have been hung up throughout the holiday hotspot.

Locals have complained of rowdy tourists disrespecting the private properties by climbing stairs, scaling picture perfect balconies and even entering doorways as they hunt down the most Instagrammable spots.

Known for its whitewashed cottages and twisting walkways, Binibeca can only accommodate 500 permanent residents in the summer, but every year some 800,000 tourists pile into its pristine alleyways.

But recent images show the idyllic town almost completely deserted as several alleyways have ropes and chains hanging between the entrances with round signs indicating no trespassers.

A popular Menorcan resort known as 'Spain's Mykonos' has chained up its streets to prevent holidaymakers from overcrowding them as they take selfies 
A popular Menorcan resort known as 'Spain's Mykonos' has chained up its streets to prevent holidaymakers from overcrowding them as they take selfies © Provided by Daily Mail

Binibeca Vell is a popular holiday hotspot because of its winding alleyways and whitewashed homes
Binibeca Vell is a popular holiday hotspot because of its winding alleyways and whitewashed homes© Provided by Daily Mail

Angry locals have attached no trespassing signs to ropes and chains around the town n a bid to deter visitors
Angry locals have attached no trespassing signs to ropes and chains around the town n a bid to deter visitors© Provided by Daily Mail

The new blockades are Binibeca's first anti-tourist measure before residents take a vote on whether to ban holidaymakers altogether in August, The Telegraph reported.

Óscar Monge, president of the residents association, blamed Menorca's authorities for failing to regulate tourism in the area and leaving locals to take matters into their own hands.

He said: 'Binibeca is promoted by the administration and tourism companies, but what benefit do we get out of it?

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: Balearic Islands bans late night alcohol sales in Mallorca and Ibiza (Dailymotion)

'We pay dearly for being the most potent tourist attraction in Menorca'.

The residents organisation receives €25,000 annually to repair and touch up the outside painting of the town's houses but Monge believes the amount is insufficient and has demanded a plan to manage the area sustainably.

He said: 'It's outrageous that the politicians who run local tourism are telling us that the only alternatives we have to keep the place clean are to close it, privatise it or start charging.' 

In a post on Binibeca's website, locals asked visitors to refrain from 'entering homes' and 'climbing balconies'.

The message included a series of pictures showing one tourist splayed out on a stairwell and another sitting in a chair belonging to one of the locals.

There are 1.2million permanent people in the Balearic Islands, which are home to Menorca, the smaller neighbour of popular tourist destinations Majorca and Ibiza.

Recent images show the idyllic town almost completely deserted
Recent images show the idyllic town almost completely deserted© Provided by Daily Mail

Óscar Monge, president of the residents association, blamed Menorca's authorities for failing to regulate tourism in the area and leaving locals to take matters into their own hands
Óscar Monge, president of the residents association, blamed Menorca's authorities for failing to regulate tourism in the area and leaving locals to take matters into their own hands© Provided by Daily Mail

Binibeca can only accommodate 500 permanent residents in the summer, but every year some 800,000 tourists pile into its pristine alleyways
Binibeca can only accommodate 500 permanent residents in the summer, but every year some 800,000 tourists pile into its pristine alleyways© Provided by Daily Mail

In 2023, the islands saw about 18million tourists arrive, hitting a record for the archipelago.

And 14.4million of these were foreign visitors, the majority of whom were Germans and Brits.

It comes as Brits headed to Majorca this Bank Holiday weekend faced major disruption as thousands of people took to the streets in anti-tourist protests.

The protests were held on Saturday evening, starting at 7pm, and were centred on the capital of Palma.

Organisers said they were astounded by the number of groups and organisations which had pledged their support.

'Initially, we thought there would be about 2,000 people but now it is going to be considerably more,' said a spokesman for the organising group, Banc de Temps de Sencelles.

Last week, a group under the slogan 'Més turisme, menys vida', which translates to 'More tourism, less life' said it intended to cause chaos at Palma Airport over the coming weekend.

Mes is calling for a reduction in the number of flights at Palma airport, saying: 'Majorca is no longer overcrowded, Majorca is experiencing collapse. You cannot have airports that, year after year, break records.'

The Balearic government says it is willing to change the tourist model and has started a round of talks with the public. As yet, no concrete measures have been agreed.

Banc de Temps de Sencelles has labelled its campaign 'Majorca is not for sale!' and is so surprised by the promised support that it has asked the government to lay on more buses and trains so people from all over the island can attend.

'The demonstration aims to highlight the problem of access to housing in Mallorca, a general problem, but not isolated, because it cannot be separated from tourist saturation, the purchase of properties by foreigners,' said Carme Reynés of Banc de Temps de Sencelles.

The group says the protest will be followed by 'other actions' over the coming weeks.

Protesters flood the streets of Tenerife last month (pictured), calling on local authorities to temporarily limit visitor numbers to alleviate pressure on the islands' environment, infrastructure and housing stock, and put curbs on property purchases by foreigners
Protesters flood the streets of Tenerife last month (pictured), calling on local authorities to temporarily limit visitor numbers to alleviate pressure on the islands' environment, infrastructure and housing stock, and put curbs on property purchases by foreigners© Provided by Daily Mail

'Tourist Go Home' is seen scrawled in English over a wall underneath a real estate promotion billboard in Nou Llevant, Majorca, a neighbourhood that has seen a massive influx of foreign buyers over the past few years. It is one of many instances of anti-tourism graffiti
'Tourist Go Home' is seen scrawled in English over a wall underneath a real estate promotion billboard in Nou Llevant, Majorca, a neighbourhood that has seen a massive influx of foreign buyers over the past few years. It is one of many instances of anti-tourism graffiti© Provided by Daily Mail

Protests in Majorca come after more than 50,000 people took to the streets of Tenerife back in April to protest against tourism on the island in the Canaries.

Demonstrators were seeing brandishing 'you enjoy, we suffer' placards, claiming that the huge influx of tourists to the island is causing major environmental damage, driving down wages and squeezing locals out of cheap affordable housing, forcing dozens to live in tents and cars instead.

British visitors to Tenerife are also set to be hit with a controversial 'tourist tax' from next year, local authorites recently confirmed.

The proposal is part of the island's new tourism strategy and is seen as an eco tax, but the level of charge and the formalities are yet to be agreed by Parliament.

It will apply to all of Tenerife's most famous protected sites, including the volcano Mount Teide and several rural parks and hamlets like Masca.

A spokesman for the Tenerife government said the introduction of this eco tax was necessary due to the vast increase of people visiting protected sites, visitors and locals alike.

Travellers aged 16 and over already pay a daily charge of up to €4 (£3.45) when visiting the equally popular Balearic islands, such as Majorca, Menorca and Ibiza.

Read more

Visitor attractions closed, abandoned, or overrun by tourists (msn.com)

The ubiquity of travel has led to overcrowding by tourists at some of the world's best-known vacation destinations and visitor attractions. Huge crowds are causing environmental degradation, dangerous conditions, and the pricing-out of locals who feel overrun and overlooked as their communities splinter under the weight of foreign footfall. Historically, bad planning and economic recession has led to the closure or abandonment of a number of fine buildings. And at the lowest end of the scale, wanton vandalism has been blamed for the destruction of several natural landmarks. So, what's going on?

Browse this gallery and find out more about the consequences of unsustainable tourism.

Cities being overrun by tourists©Shutterstock

The great personal enrichment that comes from absorbing other people’s cultures around the world has no doubt led a huge number of individuals to be more tolerant, open-minded, and adventurous. The fact that such trips are so accessible is also something to be celebrated. But when it goes too far, real problems start to occur.

Click through this gallery to find out what happens when cities actually suffer from “overtourism.”

Cities being overrun by tourists (msn.com)

Looks like a certain tourist / visitor will not be welcome.  😀

What countries don’t allow convicted felons to enter?

1. Argentina
  2. Australia
  3. Canada
  4. China
  5. Cuba
  6. India
  7. Iran
  8. Israel
  9. Japan
  10. Kenya
  11. Macau
  12. New Zealand
  13. South Africa
  14. Taiwan
  15. United Kingdom
  16. United States

What countries will deny entry if it’s discovered you are a convicted felon?

1. Brazil
  2. Cambodia
  3. Chile
  4. Dominican Republic
  5. Egypt
  6. Ethiopia
  7. Hong Kong
  8. Indonesia
  9. Ireland
  10. Malaysia
  11. Mexico
  12. Morocco
  13. Nepal
  14. Peru
  15. Philippines
  16. Singapore
  17. South Korea
  18. Tanzania
  19. Tunisia
  20. Turkey
  21. Ukraine
  22. United Arab Emirates

• 3 weeks later...

Monday, Jun 17th 2024

Popular tourist hotspot goes to war with Airbnb guests over booming music, fireworks at 1am and wild hot tub parties

By WILL POTTER and JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 

PUBLISHED: 21:50 EDT, 15 June 2024 | UPDATED: 01:26 EDT, 16 June 2024

A popular vacation spot in Minnesota is clamping down on rowdy Airbnb guests after receiving a slew of complaints from local homeowners. 

Otter Tail County, a picturesque area around two hours from Minneapolis, is known for its breathtaking waterfront views in a county that boasts of being home to 'more-than-1,000 lakes'.

But in recent years, it has slowly become a hotbed for rowdy lake parties and riotous bachelor parties that go on long into the night.

Following backlash from homeowners who miss their lost sense of peace and quiet, the Otter Tail County Board of Commissioners voted this week to crackdown on rental occupancies and noise levels. 

Minnesota's most lake-filled county is cracking down on large, loud vacation rental homes

On the popular rental site Airbnb, stunning lakeside homes are available to rent for up to $1,000 a night, with many featuring hot tubs and piers for jet skis and boating. Overall, Otter Tail County boasts more than 300 vacation homes through the app.

However, the upscale accommodations are in stark contrast to the social media footage showing revelers drinking on many of Otter Tail County's lakes, reports the Star Tribune

Local homeowner Steve Eriksson told the paper that his next door neighbor put their home up for rental, which brought a fleet of unruly guests that partied into the early hours of the morning. 

'It's sort of in the back of my mind, anytime any place goes up for sale, I am concerned that it becomes an Airbnb,' he said. 

Eriksson's neighbor garnered the most complaints of any of the hundreds of vacation homes dotted around the lakes, and he said guests would routinely party on the water and set off fireworks as late as 1 am. 

Following a barrage of complaints, this week the Board of Commissioners pushed through a host of new regulations. 

This included mandating quiet hours from 10 pm to 7 am, prohibiting the use of RVs, tents or fish houses for extra guests, and restricting the number of occupants by the number of beds or size of the home's septic systems. 

The maximum number of guests is also stipulated throughout the day, instead of just at night, to bring the number of people out on the lakes down. 

Chris LeClair, the board's land and resource manager, said of the changes: 'Those vacation rental owners need to be cognizant of disturbing the peace of the neighbors, so we're trying to make sure that these can coexist.' 

However, some locals feel the move is overkill. 

When the new measures were voted on this week, only one member of the board, Commissioner Dan Bucholz, voted against the moves, fearing it could scupper the town's summer tourism boom with the new laws set to come into effect July 1.

Bucholz said if the ordinance was to be instated, he would want to wait until at least January 2025, as he felt the measures could impact Airbnb users who already had bookings for the summer and who may have to uninvite guests to fit the policies. 

'It's like moving the 40-yard line,' he told the Star Tribune. 'And I don't think that was fair.' 

Another local resident who owned a rental home on the lakes, Chris Buttke, added that the vote 'seems to me like it's more ammunition for the angry neighbor that doesn't want it.'

'Not all guests are good guests, but you don't know that until you're there,' Buttke said. 'It's just no different than somebody's kids throwing a party when they're gone. I mean, you don't have a lot of control over that.' 

Only a fraction of the hundreds of on vacation homes that go online end up being problematic - but it's those few that have resulted in the need for regulations.

Neighbors living next to vacation home rentals are hoping a new law to be instituted on July 1 will bring some reprieve after years of large, loud parties

'Those vacation rental owners need to be cognizant of disturbing the peace of the neighbors, so we're trying to make sure that these can coexist,' LeClair said.

Noncompliance with any of the restrictions could result in license suspension or revocation.

One couple rent out their lake cabin with only seven guests allowed at their two-bedroom property.

'There's a lot of things that we don't allow on our own vacation home rental anyway, so most of it won't impact us,' Franci and Dan Gleason said.

However, their main concern is that they could beheld liable for any civil or criminal penalties that are incurred on behalf of renters.

'Somehow or another I'm going to be responsible and someone can come sue me and take my property because of some stupid frisbee or that the dog got loose,' she said.

I'm a native Hawaiian. Locals are tired of tourists treating the island like a theme park – here's what to know before you visit.

Keani Rawlins-Fernandez grew up in Molokai, Hawaii, and now is a local council member. Keani Rawlins-Fernandez
Keani Rawlins-Fernandez grew up in Molokai, Hawaii, and now is a local council member. Keani Rawlins-Fernandez© Keani Rawlins-Fernandez
  • Keani Rawlins-Fernandez grew up in Hawaii and has seen tourism increase over the years.
  • Now a local council member, Rawlins-Fernandez says locals can feel overrun by tourists.
  • She said her advice for tourists is to be respectful and not entitled. 

This as-told-to essay is based on a conversation with Keani Rawlins-Fernandez, a vice chair of the Maui County Council, about how tourism has affected her life in Hawaii. The following has been edited for length and clarity.

The tropical islands of Hawaii have long been a dream destination for tourists, drawn by the pristine beaches, vibrant culture, and an "aloha" free spirit. But for me it's home.

Many economic, social, and financial issues arise with unrestricted tourism, and I don't know how Hawaii will continue to cope with these numbers.

I grew up in Molokai, the only island of Hawaii where the economy is not reliant on tourism. Here, agriculture and farming are our main industries.

As a policymaker, I use my platform to fight against unrestricted tourism, counteract our current housing crisis, and campaign to protect our ocean and reef health.

It's my responsibility to advocate for my local community

When I was growing up, big corporations fell in love with the white-sand beaches, canoes, and divers and transformed our land into a shoreline of resorts like Waikiki in Oahu. They attempted to do this in Molokai, but the community fought it.

I went to law school to become a policymaker because it was my kuleana — responsibility — to advocate for my community the same way my elders did.

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: Maui Love (Lavendaire)

Unmute

View on WatchView on Watch

I was inspired by the work of Uncle Walter Ritte, a Native Hawaiian activist and educator who protested the military bombing practices on Kaho'olawe and won its eventual return to Native Hawaiian control from the US military.

I hold the County Council seat for the Molokai residency area and am part of the Efficiency Solutions and Circular Systems Committee, where I can discuss high-level budgets and allocation of resources to solve economic inequality that has been around for generations.

Rawlins-Fernandez is a vice chair of the Maui County Council. Keani Rawlins-Fernandez
Rawlins-Fernandez is a vice chair of the Maui County Council. Keani Rawlins-Fernandez© Keani Rawlins-Fernandez

Tourism has displaced Native Hawaiians by driving up costs

The number of tourists in Hawaii is overwhelming the local population and threatening the islands' cultural heritage.

Native Hawaiians, already displaced from their lands during colonization, are experiencing a housing crisis. When houses become available, they are bought by tourists instead of locals.

People are buying our land as investment properties, so our Kanaka 'Ōiwi — locals — are forced to move further out, and they can't maintain their local traditions or routines. Basically, they need to start over and make a new place their home.

The cost of living has skyrocketed as demand drives up real-estate prices. Residents of islands like Maui and Oahu, where tourism is at peak levels, rely on resorts and hotels for jobs to support their livelihood.

During COVID, there was no tourism, and their jobs were the first to go. My island in Molokai fared better because the model is to cater to local businesses and local patrons instead.

We can't commute easily because tourists are getting their sunset pictures

A large part of Hawaii's economy is reliant on tourism, but in popular tourist areas, overtourism is placing huge strains on the infrastructure and environment — especially when the number of visitors exceeds the resident population.

For example, famous sights like Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head on Oahu draw crowds of tourists for sunrise or sunset views. This clogs up our highways during the hours when locals are trying to commute or drop their kids off at school.

The state Department of Transportation wants to create more parking spots or widen highways. Instead, people should consider group trolley systems like the ones in Zion National Park in Utah, which I recently visited, to manage tourists. This makes more sense than allowing tourists to rent their own car for the duration of their visit.

Locals feel like their home is a theme park — and it can be dangerous

Our locals feel like their homes are treated like a theme park and there's no more privacy.

We've heard stories of tourists trespassing on properties for photo opportunities. But they need to understand that unlike television or social-media posts, this is real life.

There aren't always safeguards and railings at places like our waterfalls or volcanoes. Tourists have passed away or become severely hurt. It puts our emergency responders at risk if tourists are trespassing in dangerous places.

Our beaches and reefs are being degraded for the sake of tourism

Excessive tourist activity is also taking a major toll on Hawaii's fragile island ecosystems.

For instance, the natural sand dunes in Hawaii enable a cyclical restoration of the white-sand beaches. However, the construction of resorts and hotel chains on the dunes disrupts this cycle, preventing the beaches from replenishing lost sand. With the dunes unable to supply fresh sand, the beaches steadily erode away.

I've seen temporary seawalls being built in front of condos and resorts which interrupt the natural cycle of sand migration. We see how degraded our coral reefs, essential for marine wildlife, are in the face of pollution, sunscreen toxins, and careless snorkelers.

We are islands, and we don't have that much land to bury trash in landfills, so excessive rubbish ends up in our waters and damages the ecosystem.

Tourism has perks, but it needs to be managed better

There are some positives to the steady increase in tourists, like those tourists who volunteer with the Red Cross. However, extractive tourism needs to stop. I also want our community to rely on other jobs, because tourism ebbs and flows.

My message to tourists is to visit responsibly, respect local culture, and minimize one's footprint. Support local businesses over chain restaurants, go on tours instead of taking your own or a rented vehicle, make sure you're staying at a legitimate Airbnb or VRBO, and come with respect and gratitude, not entitlement.

I'm a native Hawaiian. Locals are tired of tourists treating the island like a theme park – here's what to know before you visit. (msn.com)

Alaska city puts limit on how many cruise passengers can visit after being overwhelmed by tourists last year

The capital city of Alaska will set new limits on how many cruise ship passengers can visit every day after a post-pandemic deluge of tourism.

Last year the roughly 32,000 residents of Juneau weathered hordes of hikers, schools of whale watchers, and swarms of overflying helicopters as roughly 1.6m visitors in total – or up to 21,000 per day in peak periods – disembarked at the docks.

Now the city government has signed a voluntary agreement with the cruise ship industry that caps the number of vessels allowed to dock each day, starting in 2026.

The agreement limits daily docking to ships with a cumulative 16,000 beds on Sundays through Fridays and 12,000 beds on Saturdays, although the number of actual visitors will sometimes be larger because cruise ships often exceed their listed capacity.

"The city’s position is that we do not have room for cruise growth with our current infrastructure, and we have negotiated the daily passenger limits to bring down our busiest days," city tourism manager Alexandra Pierce told The Guardian.

"Cruise tourism is important for our local and regional economies, and we need to be good neighbors while also finding the balance between concerned residents and the local livelihoods that depend on the visitor industry."

A cruise ship dwarfed by nature as it rests beside the Juneau docks in June 2017 (AP Photo/Becky Bohrer)
A cruise ship dwarfed by nature as it rests beside the Juneau docks in June 2017 (AP Photo/Becky Bohrer)© Provided by The Independent

But some locals believe the new limits are insufficient, and are pushing for a ballot measure that would reduce the limit to 250 beds on Saturdays and July 4, effectively banning most passenger ships on those days.

"All we are seeking is one day a week, plus the Fourth of July, when locals can go downtown, visit the glacier, hike on our trails, and go fishing without competing with thousands and thousands of cruise passengers," said supporter Steve Krall last week, according to The Juneau Empire.

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: "We spent $150k on a 'gap year' nine-month cruise around the world - visiting 65 countries" (Dailymotion)

"This is a modest and reasonable request: a simple day of rest for everyone."

Other residents have opposed the ballot measure, arguing that cruise ships bring in enormous amounts of consumer spending and tax revenue that the city and its people cannot afford to pass up.

Juneau, a former gold mining town shielded from the Pacific Ocean by the rocky labyrinth of the Alexander Archipelago, bills itself as the single most popular whale-watching destination in the world and has a tourist season lasting roughly 22 weeks.

Between 2022 and 2023, the number of cruise ship passengers visiting Juneau rose by 44 percent, according to The Alaska Beacon, which Pierce said was "shocking" and sometimes "suffocating" for many residents.

The new agreement is reportedly intended to keep tourist numbers roughly steady, giving the city more time to expand its infrastructure while incorporating enough of a delay that cruise lines can adapt their future schedules.

The Independent has always had a global perspective. Built on a firm foundation of superb international reporting and analysis, The Independent now enjoys a reach that was inconceivable when it was launched as an upstart player in the British news industry. For the first time since the end of the Second World War, and across the world, pluralism, reason, a progressive and humanitarian agenda, and internationalism – Independent values – are under threat. Yet we, The Independent, continue to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona is not for sale': Mass anti-tourism protests erupt as living costs go into a tailspin

'Barcelona is not for sale': Mass anti-tourism protests erupt as living costs go into a tailspin
'Barcelona is not for sale': Mass anti-tourism protests erupt as living costs go into a tailspin© Provided by The Times of India

Protesters in Barcelona have taken to spraying water on tourists as part of a demonstration against mass tourism. Demonstrators marched through tourist-heavy areas, chanting “tourists go home” and using water pistols, while others held signs saying “Barcelona is not for sale,” CNN reported.

Thousands of people joined the protest in the latest outcry against mass tourism in Spain, which has seen similar demonstrations in the Canary Islands and Mallorca. Protesters argue that mass tourism drives up living costs and diminishes the quality of life for locals.

The protest was organized by the Assemblea de Barris pel Decreixement Turístic (Neighborhood Assembly for Tourism Degrowth), a coalition of over 100 local organizations. They argue that these tourists increase prices and strain public services, while the tourism industry profits are unfairly distributed, exacerbating social inequality.

The group has put forward 13 proposals to reduce visitor numbers and transition to a new tourism model. These proposals include closing cruise ship terminals, increasing regulation of tourist accommodations, and ending public spending on tourism promotion.

The discontent in Barcelona mirrors similar protests in other parts of Spain. In April, residents of the Canary Islands protested against excessive tourism, blaming it for making housing unaffordable and causing environmental harm. These issues are common in many popular tourist destinations worldwide, which have seen record visitor numbers as the travel industry recovers from the pandemic.

While increased tourism can benefit local economies and hospitality businesses, it also brings significant drawbacks: more noise, pollution, traffic, resource strain, a lower quality of life for locals, and a diminished experience for visitors. Consequently, many tourist hotspots have introduced measures to combat overtourism, such as new or increased tourist taxes, campaigns to discourage problematic visitors, and attendance caps at popular attractions

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: Barcelona rings with ‘go home tourists' and water pistols - Why mass tourism angers the Spanish capital? (India Today)

Several years ago I was in Barcelona while the Catalalonians were having separatists marches and voting to separate. It was one of the most peaceful events one could imagine. I actually got mixed up in a huge March while out browsing around. Families holding hands. Moms, dads, children, babies in strollers, grandparents all walking together.

There was one small incident at a voting booth and that’s all CNN international focused on for days on end. It was absolute BS reporting from the reality of the situation.

CNN = BS 

• 4 weeks later...

Crowds of tourists on Santorini and strange recommendations from the councilor
Crowds of tourists on Santorini and strange recommendations from the councilor© Canva

Vacation is in full swing. Many tourists are travelling to the most popular locations in Europe. One of these locations is the Greek island of Santorini. The crowds of visitors are so large that residents cannot live normally. A Greek councilman had a surprising proposal for them: he recommended a lockdown.

Summer is ongoing, and so are vacations. This means one thing: many people from around the world are travelling, sightseeing, and checking out the most popular places. Undoubtedly, one such spot is the Greek island of Santorini, known for its stunning location and famous blue-roofed houses, often featured on social media. Residents are not pleased. The number of tourists simply overwhelms and exhausts them. They emphasize that they are unable to function normally.

The 2024 holidays are notable for locals regularly complaining about tourists. Problems in Barcelona have been widely reported. The number of visitors is so high that everyday life has become practically impossible for residents. Visitors occupy most hotels, driving housing and rental prices to skyrocket. For many, this means moving out because they can't afford the rent. As a result, protests are ongoing in Barcelona. Residents want the authorities to solve the problem with tourists.

VideoBlue.svgRelated video: Greece's Santorini bursts with tourists as locals seek cap (Reuters)

tourists squeeze along a viewpoint to watch the Greek island
Loaded: 12.58%

PlayvideoSeekBack.svgvideoSeekForward.svg
Current Time 0:03
/
Duration 2:22

Quality Settings
Captions
Fullscreen

AAy0gvU.img?w=16&h=16&q=60&m=6&f=jpg&u=tReuters
Greece's Santorini bursts with tourists as locals seek cap
Unmute

View on WatchView on Watch

'Santorini residents upset after call for tourist lockdown'

'Santorini residents upset after call for tourist lockdown' (msn.com)

The huge number of tourists in Santorini and the surprising recommendations from a councilman

Santorini has the same problems as Barcelona. On Tuesday, July 23rd, a record number of tourists was expected to arrive on the Greek island. Authorities reported that as many as 17,000 visitors could have reached. It can be assumed this was not the most comfortable situation for residents, but they would have managed somehow. What sparked the most significant controversy was a post by one of the island's councilmen that quickly disappeared from social media.

The authorities of Santorini decided it would be a great idea to recommend that residents, on Tuesday, July 23rd, limit movement and, preferably stay indoors. All this so that tourists could move around easily and later settle into their hotels before starting their vacations. Local residents were very upset, and councilman Panos Kavalaris's post disappeared.