AMFA , CATW or ?

Guest Canmech

I was wondering what the feeling of the AME's at Air Canada regarding our current representation (or lack of with the I.A.M) and once we have our own certification (separate bargaining) with the spinning off of Tech-Ops,what unions might interest the trades groups?

The forming of separate bargaining for the trades is not a new idea with the ex-cdn mechanics ,which attempted a raid against the I.A.M. in Jan 99 with the forming of CATW .The I.A.M. like the majority of the unions in Canada are members of the CLC (Canadian Labour Congress).The CLC's constitution states that no member of the CLC shall conduct a raid on another union in the CLC.Thus the formation of CATW,a non CLC member and a tool in which the CDN mech's could conduct a legal raid against the I.A.M.Due to the labour laws in Canada we had to sell cards to the entire certification(trades groups,statio attendants,cleaners,etc..,) and obtain 50% + 1 of the total eligable membership to remove the I.A.M.CATW's support from the trade groups was overwhelming (90% to 95%) bought cards but being the minority of the union,CATW was not successful.

Where do we go from here? AMFA(pending approval of the labour board for rights in Canada),CATW(a Canadian version of AMFA) or another certified Canadaian union?Myself....I would be interested in AMFA but I am interested in hear all points of view?

Excellent question Canmech.

As you know, I too am leaning toward the AMFA, if only because I believe there's some experience there in doing exactly what we want to do... But I'll support almost any approach and am anxious to see what other AC AME's have to say....?

Marc...IMHO,from what I understand it all depends on who Air Canada applies to have included in the new Technical Services company and secondly which work groups the Labour Board approves to be included in the new certifcation.

FYI

At ACR the labour board ruled that maint and ramp services are seperate, although it included stores and shops in with maint group.

ACRs ramp and grooming staff are now part of the CSA contract.

BF

When AC opens this new company it will be for all present tech ops staff,no station people!The IAM though,has publicly stated that technical services and the station people will still be one bargaining unit.I find it very difficult to believe that a group of people from another company will get to have a say on your contract.In reality I think the IAM is blowing smoke up our collective rear ends.

As to which union to choose,well it will have to one one that is not part of the Canadian Federation of Labor as they have a no raid clause.In reality I would tend to lean towards AMFA under the condition that they change their constitution some what to reflect the needs of Canadian based employees.They have experience in battling the IAM and they only accept mechanics and related people,also they have the financial support that we may need.

The most important thing at present is that legal counsel should be retained to give us guidance with our legal rights as you can guarantee that the IAM will call in all favors owed to them by the CIRB!

Buzz

If the rumor is true that some or all of ACR maint is to be included in the tech ops spin off then a representation vote must be held ( I think)

Very good question!I will have to do some checking,but you bring up a very valid point,with ACR being CAW and AC being the IAM it would open the doors for any union or association to throw their collective hats in the ring!

Hi Farmer,

IF the ACR maintenance group is included in the Air Canada Technical Services down the road there will definitely be a representation vote held between CAW and ?. Although I highly doubt the I.A.M. will be on that ballot.The next window of opportunity through the Canadian Labour Code is reportedly this coming March.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for this 'Concerned Mechanic', but as I have watched closely for some time now the events in the USA involving the AMFA and the IAM, I have seen many situations where an IAM union member has falsely presented himself as a mechanic and attempted to dissuade mechanics from moving toward the -obviously more benneficial- AMFA...

'Strength in numbers' is in fact the rallying cry and trade mark of those who have nothing but the numbers to provide strength. We AME's have our skills and our licences as our 'strength'. We want to be represented alone by AME's for AME's. We don't want to have our numbers 'watered down' by those without those strengths, or who's interests and concerns are not our own.

I don't suppose you'd care to identify yourself so I could rule out the possibility that you may be, in fact, a concerned station attendant?

Please tell me what AMFA site you read 'entirely'... I ask because I have also noticed another 'trade mark' of those within the IAM who seek to continually hold back the skilled mechanics, is to spread misinformation and outright lies...

When I have time, if you can tell me which sites you've been looking at without finding any info, I'll post some links that will provide the info.

Here is one link that will answer some questions :UAL AMFA Organizing Page

I case you have trouble finding your answers:

'MEMBERSHIP - Members vote on all major issues including: Contract ratification, letters of agreement, amendments to local by-laws and the AMFA Constitution, and elect all officers.

LOCALS - Local Officers and Representatives are elected by the membership and can be recalled by the membership. A petition signed by only 25% of the members begins the recall procedure.

NATIONAL - The National assists the Locals throughout the system. The National hires professionals to provide CPA accounting, legal representation, labor relations advice, insurance/pension actuary and headquarters administration. National officers oversee these professionals and report to the membership. Candidates for national office need the endorsement of only one Local to have his or her name placed on the ballot. National officers are subject to the same recall procedures as local officials.'

The streanght in numbers crap may have worked in the 30's or 40's but this is 2001 and the IAM will not allow any changes after all they know what is good for you more than you yourself.We ahve asked for a seperate bargaining unit for amintenance and they laughed in our face,our general chairmoron here in yyz comes down to the ramp and tell us that we in maintenance are only for 800 votes and the rampies are a few thousand so we don't count.The only change needed is the entire union

Where does all the monet go?Unlike the IAM where your dues go to the IAM lear jet maintained by non union mechanics,the IAM golf course,the IAM credit card.

As for positions,take a look at the IAM appointments,where is the so called democracy?

RETURN BACK TO YOUR UNION OFFICE AND COME UP WITH SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE ORIGINAL

my opinion NO F***ING WAY!! This is a corrupt union that will use any means to stay in power. please excuse my language its just that I have had it with this so called union.

Archived