Short Final

In The News

The following was heard as my wife and I were flying our Mooney over the northern tip of the Great Salt Lake a few days ago and communicating with Salt Lake Center ... Transient aircraft:"Center, do you have time for a question?" ... SL Center:"Sure, go ahead." ... Transient aircraft: "OK, this is the $65 question. Looking below, we can see a train track, shoreline and a reddish area with what look like waves. What is that all about?" ... Silence for a short while, then a response from an airliner:"My daughter is a PhD biologist and explained to me that the red color comes from Halobacteria growing in the salt water." ... Transient aircraft: "Thank you very much! You win the $65 prize and we greatly appreciate the explanation!" ... SL Center:"That's a whole lot better than any explanation we could come up with here at Center." ... Another short pause ... Airliner: "That PhD cost a lot more than $65." ... The exchange is somewhat paraphrased, other than the punchline. We were laughing too hard by the end for me to copy the exact dialogue. Dan Robertson

View the full article

Archived