Interesting dilemma for ?

Kip Powick

Guest rattler

I wonder how the fasting + the long skirts would work out. According to the article, she was near fainting and leaves the impression that it was because of the fasting. Regarding her garb, loose clothing has always being considered a workplace hazard when working around converyor belts or other rotating machinery.

[

"They throw me out like garbage on the street," she said, covered head to toe in Muslim dress and at times close to fainting, as she testified on the eighth day of Ramadan that requires fasting from dawn until dusk.

"I was working two years and I became unsafe?" she told the tribunal.

Six of the eight women, all of whom sat through the hearing yesterday, provided UPS with a letter from the Khalid Bin Al-Walid Mosque stating that "the religion of Islam requires all Muslim women to cover her entire body inclusive of the legs, arms, head, ears and neck."

The letter stated pants would not be acceptable attire for the women.

UPS then requested Liberty Mutual Underwriters Canada to conduct a job hazard analysis and risk assessment of the jobs and concluded that "for health and safety reasons" workers' skirts should not be longer than knee-length.

Archived