Westjet @ OPF

CanadaEH

So is this how the -200s are going to be retired. Beaten up by the DEW bridges. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Can WJA sell the rights to make a couple of whacks at the old brids. It could be profitable for a donating charity like United Way. Very profitable if you decalled RM's face on the side. beer_mug.gifcool.gif

speaking of gate 40, CSA's in YVR were overheard talking about another dual boarding bridge mishap @ YVR within the last week.

I haven't heard anything.. Maybe they were refering to the fact that we can't go one week without those stupid things having mechanical problems.

I would love to hear a narative from someone who participated in the snatch, I heard the SBA version of events and they make it sound like the WJA crew were pirates and abandoned the SBA staffers in the middle of the California desert to certain death.

They were each given $100 US to rent a car and drive home. They ended up heading to the bar, laughing about the whole experience until the cash was gone, and then called their employer to come and get them.

We should all be "stranded in the desert" in such a fashion...

From one of the horses mouths (that was there, a good friend) it was $200 USD, They were asked to wait an hour before they called their company, they immediately went to a local bar, ordered a bottle of Canadian Club and were fired the next day. The airplane showed up in YXX after a day in YYC and I personally said hello for the first time to WestJet. That airplane needed (and received) some serious attention when it arrived. I miss her, she was a good ship.

So how did you guys actually get them to let you fly the plane?

was it a post-check acceptence flight?

by this time I would assume that SBA was well aware of the fact you guys were "Naughty Word",

Where did you dump them? Oxnard?

Would have SBA been privvy to the flight plan?

I'm just curious, I have never been involved in snatching an airplane

The Airplane was taken up for an "acceptance flight" on a VFR flight plan. The plane was filled with fuel on the pretext that they wanted to see if there were any leaks.

They tried to "discourage" any S.B. employees from being on board for the flight, but the chief Mechanic and an Avionics Technician insisted on being on board.

The Pilots were told by a S.B. Quality Assurance Technician (an Oxymoron if I ever heard one... but I digress) that, "It's against the law to take our people to Calgary you know.". "I don't have a clue what you're talking about." was the reply...

Once airborne the plan was to have a light "come on" and force a precautionary landing at Santa Maria Airport, where a flight plan had been filed to Calgary. As it turned out a few lights came on during the flight so there was no need to make that part up. They landed in Santa Maria, the two passengers - disgruntled employees - were told the airplane was going to Calgary and they had to get off. They said they wanted to go to Calgary.

They were given $200 and told to get a cab for Santa Barbara.

They hit the bar, drank Canadian Whiskey, toasting WestJet, and when they were sure the airplane was airborne called their bosses to come and get them. They were promptly fired, but then re-hired the next day, because Santa Barbara Aviation needed employees as witnesses to the whole thing.

That is from the book FlightPath, the current book out regarding WestJet, and the stories that I have heard in my time here at WestJet.

I remember on a flight down to Las Vegas being met by some U.S. Marshals who were very nice and wanted to look at the log book and registration papers of the -200 we had flown down there on a charter...

Speculation was they were looking for the infamous Santa Barbara machine to impound it. I think our dispatchers were smart enough not to send that particular aircraft out of the country...

Cheers.

Archived