Westjet appoves purchase of 737-600

Guest Jiminy

WestJet Converts 737-600 Purchase Option into Firm Delivery

08:30 EST Monday, November 22, 2004

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(CCNMatthews - Nov. 22, 2004) - WestJet today announced its Board of Directors has approved the purchase of one additional Boeing Next-Generation 737 aircraft by converting the second of 12 purchase options with Boeing into a firm delivery. The 737-600 aircraft is scheduled to be delivered in 2006.

WestJet serves the 24 Canadian cities of Victoria, Comox, Vancouver, Abbotsford/Fraser Valley, Prince George, Kelowna, Grande Prairie, Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, Halifax, Gander and St. John's, and the eight American cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, New York and Palm Springs (beginning January 7, 2005). The airline operates a growing fleet of 54 aircraft featuring 36 new Next-Generation Boeing 737-700 aircraft. WestJet is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol WJA.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

WestJet

Siobhan Vinish (Pronounced Sha-von)

Director, Public Relations and Communications

(403) 444-2615

(403) 444-2261 (FAX)

© CCNMatthews

Guest rattler
Anyone keeping track of what the current confirmed tally is? 600s 700s 800s? Delivery dates? I know 5 800s in 2005. and I believe 3 600s (now 4) in 2006.

What about 700s for 2005, 2006.

icon_question.gif

The other question that remains open is what will be the total fleet seat capacity after the purchases? I have lost track of the planned 200 retirements. Is the result more, same or less total capacity?

The other question that remains open is what will be the total fleet seat capacity after the purchases? I have lost track of the planned 200 retirements. Is the result more, same or less total capacity?

Right now that seems to be the question of the week. It will all depend on the market and the price of oil as to the total fleet seat capacity. We have the ability to add and remove capacity even with these aircraft deliveries by keeping or removing the -200 fleet. This is why we are announcing aircraft purchases one at a time which seems a bit unusual. It will allow us to add or remove capaicty as we go along by slowly converting the 12 options for -600's into firm deliveries. The company line about complete removal of the 200's is that in 2005 it's possible, in 2006 it's probable, and in 2007 it's definite.

Right now that seems to be the question of the week. It will all depend on the market and the price of oil as to the total fleet seat capacity. We have the ability to add and remove capacity even with these aircraft deliveries by keeping or removing the -200 fleet. This is why we are announcing aircraft purchases one at a time which seems a bit unusual. It will allow us to add or remove capaicty as we go along by slowly converting the 12 options for -600's into firm deliveries. The company line about complete removal of the 200's is that in 2005 it's possible, in 2006 it's probable, and in 2007 it's definite.

So we have a 12 options of 600's? I thought it was only 4 on the way. Can anyone tell me for sure if the 800's/700's/600's will all have the same range and abilities? (I assume the 600 also will benefit with shorter field length and lower landing fees.) The last I had heard, from WestJet's Boeing rep, is 2200 pounds of extra fuel capacity was being 'negotiated' for the 600?

Funny, how anything can be purchased on airplanes... "Oh, more crosswind limit? Sure! AND we'll throw in the extra 10 knot tailwind limit for only 40 grand more per tail."

Archived