Use of Runway 24L & 24R

QFE

It was great to see the use of all 3 westerly runways last Sunday. My only question is why they use 24L for landing and 24R for takeoff. Maybe Murray can answer.

The way I see it by using 24L for landing there is a potential for runway incursion for every landing. Even when holding short on D4-6 you cannot see down 24R at night or in reduced visibility therefor relying only on the controller that its safe to cross. If there was an incursion the possibility of a successful rejection is doubtful.

If 24L was used for takeoff the Pilot would see his traffic fly in front of him prior to crossing 24R. Also, the lander now takes a highspeed exit into a very low traffic area which will expedite his taxi to the gate. There would also be no chance of runway incursion. Any comments?

Personally I've always thought the same myself. The only thing I can think of is the fact that the south parallel is shorter. That may restrict the takeoffs.

No reason that they can't have the heavies sequenced into the right side, with the narrowbodies launching of the left.

Food for thought.

Iceman

QFE:

Take a look at the airport layout. All the highspeed exits on 24L make it a natural for high density arrival operations. Also, if timed properly, there should be no conflict with departing traffic. If the airport controller times takeoff clearance correctly, and the aircraft rolls promptly, the departure should be just past the assigned cutoff for the lander, as the lander start to turn off. While the next departure rolls into position, you should (theoretically) be cleared across the departure runway.

If there are multiple landers waiting to cross, a wake turbulence departure hole would allow the tower controller to cross landers over the active departure runway, or simply wait for a break in arrivals.

The idea is to run spacing as tight as possible on the arrival runway, and to not inhibit the expeditious flow of departure traffic. Taxiing departures through tight arrival holes is unnecessary and inefficient.

The nice thing about the "inboard" as the departure runway means you can roll to position and never have to worry about the arrival (IFR conditions excluded).

Any time I've operated to LAX, they've done much the same, using the inner runways for departures and the outers for landings. It seems pretty efficient to me.

Another factor to consider is that if tower crosses someone at the threshold when you're on final (particularly a heavy), there could be a glide slope beam deviation. If you're autopilot is following the signal, you could be in for quite the ride. blink.gifph34r.gif

Archived