Colin Powell quits: reports

CanadaEH

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has reportedly offered his resignation, the second high-profile member to leave the Bush cabinet since election day two weeks ago.

Mr. Powell was long rumoured to be unhappy by his marginalization at the hands of neo-conservatives surrounding U.S. President George W. Bush. His brand of diplomacy and multilateralism often seemed at odds with the “with us or against us” attitude that dominated Mr. Bush's first term.

On Monday, news outlets reported that Mr. Powell had submitted a letter to resignation to Mr. Bush.

John Ashcroft resigned as attorney-general last week, saying that he had done what he could to protect the United States from another terrorist attack.

More to come

From G&M

Mr. Powell was long rumoured to be unhappy by his marginalization at the hands of neo-conservatives surrounding U.S. President George W. Bush. His brand of diplomacy and multilateralism often seemed at odds with the “with us or against us” attitude that dominated Mr. Bush's first term.

Now there is going to be an interesting book.

Now there is going to be an interesting book.

Maybe so, but much to my disappointment, Mr. Powell showed himself to be just as much a political animal as all the rest. If he really felt as strongly as it's been rumoured, he would have offered his resignation a long time ago. To have done so would have seriously damaged GW's chances at the polls, and that's the only reason he stayed. Given the number who are stepping down now, it sure looks like there are many people who do not want to be associated with the legacy Mr. Bush is building. It will take decades to recover from the deficits alone, never mind the loss of credibility on the world's stage.

Maybe so, but much to my disappointment, Mr. Powell showed himself to be just as much a political animal as all the rest. If he really felt as strongly as it's been rumoured, he would have offered his resignation a long time ago.

Saw it more as the soldier eclipsing the politician - loyalty to the CIC (the rank, not the man). Duty before conscience.

If running the world's most powerful nation were a 24 hour-a-day war, I might agree with you. Unfortunately, that's how this President (and many others) have chosen to run the country, and that's a mistake. Dissenters are not permitted in war, nor in the White House.

Before all of this transpired, I had thought of Colin Powell as a great man, certainly greater than GWB or DC have shown themselves to be. I saw him as someone who let the man lead, with the soldier and the politician following close behind. I once thought he'd make an excellent President. He still might, but only with the right people in his corner. As long as the hawks and fear mongerers are at the helm, Mr. Powell's talents are wasted, IMHO.

Before all of this transpired, I had thought of Colin Powell as a great man...  I once thought he'd make an excellent President. He still might, but only with the right people in his corner. As long as the hawks and fear mongerers are at the helm, Mr. Powell's talents are wasted, IMHO.

I too am disappointed, as I think we have discussed before. And in my own humble opinion, if he had been president on September 11, 2001 the following 3+ years would have evolved in a totally different fashion. A soldier who's "been there, done that" treads very carefully before rushing headlong into another war. But the odds of him making it into the Whitehouse as president, at his age, are pretty slim.

ccairspace

Going from one of the most respected men in the world to a caricature of Joachim von Ribbentrop probably wasn’t fun.

When you say "one of the most respected men in the world", I can only assume you're referring to George Bush Sr. I'd agree that Sr. is very well respected, and many have said that it's hard to believe that the current President came from the same gene pool. Personally, I don't think of Jr. as being a bad man, I just think he gave control to a few very scary individuals, probably because he's not as strong a man as his father.

I saw him as someone who let the man lead, with the soldier and the politician following close behind. I once thought he'd make an excellent President. He still might, but only with the right people in his corner. As long as the hawks and fear mongerers are at the helm, Mr. Powell's talents are wasted, IMHO.

Could this be his move to put some distance between this administration and himself before making a run at the Nomination in 2008?

huh.gif

When you say "one of the most respected men in the world", I can only assume you're referring to George Bush Sr.

I don't think so J.O. I think he was referring to Powell. And I agree, if Powell had resigned when he began to - very obviously - disagree with US foreign policy, he would have destabilised the whole house of cards.

Could this be his move to put some distance between this administration and himself before making a run at the Nomination in 2008?

I still think he is too old to wait for 2008, Iceman. People may be looking for new young blood by then, and he will be too reminiscent of the old regime.

ccairspace

The day that Colin Powell presented his and his boss's WMD's argument to the Security Council of the UN is the day Powell lost all vestige of credibility.

Now with his "retirement", he's damaged goods either way and unless there is an epiphany in US foreign policy and an electible Democrat between now and 2008, a highly unlikely event given history, he's finished in politics.

I still think he is too old to wait for 2008, Iceman.  People may be looking for new young blood by then, and he will be too reminiscent  of the old regime.

Get ready for Arnold in 2008, there's already an organized movement to lift the restrictions on foreign born citizens to becoming prez.

"Stand back you girly men and watch me terminate the democrats like a tumor!"

wacko.gif

Now, I must get back to Halo 2.....

Even in this Age of Entertainment and lightweight leaders, Arnold is a very unlikely candidate for President. Our greatest enemy, the shadow of corporate power cast over government, will never permit the Governor from California to take the White House. He's too smart for manipulation and too inexperienced to govern. Bad karma.

Don

I still think he is too old to wait for 2008, Iceman.  People may be looking for new young blood by then, and he will be too reminiscent  of the old regime.

ccairspace

When you put into perspective with the Regan era, he isn't too old.

I speculate that in 2008 it will be a footrace between Powell for the Republicans, and Hillary Clinton for the Democrats.

What fun that would be.

The U.S. would tear itself apart having to decide between it's first Black President, or the first Woman President.

Either way, I think it would be a great thing for them.......

Any other opinions???

Iceman

Archived