No French, no flights: WestJet CEO

Guest Jiminy

No French, no flights: WestJet CEO

MONTREAL - The only thing stopping WestJet from offering flights out of Quebec City is a lack of bilingual employees, according to the airline's chief executive.

Clive Beddoe told a Montreal audience Wednesday that the discount airline has always planned to add the Quebec capital to its schedule.

However, Beddoe says the company's western orientation has made it difficult to staff it with enough people who speak French.

"We're not as bilingual as we'd like to be," Beddoe said in a speech at the Canadian Club. "It's not easy from Calgary to hire bilingual people, and our base is Calgary."

Beddoe said WestJet is working on attracting more bilingual workers, and expects to begin flying in and out of Quebec City "as soon as we've got the critical mass [of employees] to do it."

Hiring the necessary number of bilingual people will likely take at least another year, he said.

Guest rattler

"We're not as bilingual as we'd like to be," Beddoe said in a speech at the Canadian Club. "It's not easy from Calgary to hire bilingual people, and our base is Calgary."

Hmmmmm, there was another "Calgary based" airline who had no problem with hiring Bilingual people.... I believe they used something called "Want Ads" and did not limit them to Alberta. biggrin.gif

There's also the problem of translating all the signs on the koolaid stands biggrin.gif .

yes but damn the stuff sure is good,

oh and as for that stock price, as all of the employees continue to buy them at a lower than ever price, take a moment and look up something called....

"dollar cost averaging"

try "the wealthy barber" for starters its a good read.

Cheers

SB biggrin.gif

Guest rattler

I hope all the Westjet staff who can do buy their stock and enjoy their gains. It would be nice to see for a change. I still own some PWA Corp. wallpaper myself.

Me too, rattler.

As well, I tried to apply the capital loss against all the money I was going to make off the AC ESOP... dry.gif

I've seen dollar cost averaging when it doesn't work. I suspect the author of "The Wealthy Barber" would advise against buying airline stock.

By the way, are you finished with the terrorist thread yet? I'd like to use it.

buzz

Guest rattler

By the way, are you finished with the terrorist thread yet? I'd like to use it.

buzz

Depends upon what you are going to use it for...... biggrin.gif

Perhaps a change to a new thread that requires an actual post (on topic) to count towards a record would be a good idea.

Suggestions:

Aircraft trivia

Airline Jokes

Airline stories (based on one's personal experience)

etc.

Cheers

Hmmmmm, there was another "Calgary based" airline who had no problem with hiring Bilingual people.... I believe they used something called "Want Ads" and did not limit them to Alberta. biggrin.gif

A contact of mine who used to work at CP/CAI thought that was hilarious. The Banff Springs hotel, he said, has no trouble getting bilingual people, so why does WJ have a problem? The hotels in the Rockies recruit in Quebec and offer nice relocation benefits.

I guess the success of YQM is what you are talking about...lol.good loads lots of enfrancais...salut mon frere MR.Dagger.lol. wink.gif

Big success, one flight a day to toronto, one flight a day to Hamilton, and now competing with three other carriers. All kinds of cheap fares, too. Doubt it makes a dime.

I suspect that you don't get to Banff very often either.

Wrong, but I try to avoid it as much as possible; but you are forgetting German and Dutch.

We were talking Rockies, not just Banff.

Why would WestJet be having trouble recruiting French when they only just started focusing on the skill? Every new class of FA's that starts seems to be french... I just saw a whole fleet of them (apparently we did copy some of JetsGo's requirements from the look of them too biggrin.gif )

Archived