Better Think Twice

Cargo Agent

Admin has added a significant rule to the posting guidelines.

Your post may be Edited or completely Deleted for the following reasons by one of our Administrators, continued violation of these quidelines by any member may result in the withdrawal of posting privleges from that member without regard to the status of their membership.

Any post that:

* defames

* abuses

* harasses

* stalks

* threatens

* uses profanity

* obscene

* indecent

* publishes the identity or suspected identity of an anonymous user of this forum.

Admin has added a significant rule to the posting guidelines.

Your post may be Edited or completely Deleted for the following reasons by one of our Administrators, continued violation of these quidelines by any member may result in the withdrawal of posting privleges from that member without regard to the status of their membership.

* abuses

Great addition to the list.

Hopfully one certain poster will stop his verbal abuses in his replys.

Its fine to disagree with someone but you don't have to resort to name calling and demeaning language just because you think the informaion in your post should not be challenged.

Of course if you find any post to be a problem, you can use the "REPORT" button to draw it to the moderator's attention.

Yes I often forget about the report button. Thanks for reminding me.

cool26.gifcool26.gifcool26.gif

I too applaud the recent change to the posting guidelines.

As I said yesterday, I find the "outing" attempts to be offensive.

The notion of an "abusive" post is a difficult one to nail at times, and it's somewhat interpretive...

Whenever I've seen "edited by admin" show up here, it's usually been when someone shows a complete lack of restraint and has resorted to some kind of name calling... such as:

Mitch, you're an idiot. or, you're an ashhole... or like that... But... some people might consider it to be abuse if someone were to say I'm "acting like an ashhole"... I see those two somewhat differently... To call me one is to cut my character, to say I'm acting like one is to allow for some level of recovery... I am not being accused of being one, I merely appear as one with whatever it is the accuser has found objectionable. But as we all know, there are far better ways to say so.

Verbal abuse comes in many forms, and some people will naturally be more sensitive to various forms of it...

All in all, I think we do pretty well here, and I've noticed a definite lack of edited posts (and the need for same) since we became "nobody but us chickens". smile.gif

Guest rattler

Mitch: I agree that the "put your money where your mouth is" change in this forum has indeed been positive. The quality of debate on this forum has def. improved.

Ya-know what’s missing today? Some real good wordsmiths having a slug fest of insults.

Can you imagine someone using a Monty-Pythonesque twist of humor a slight Brit accent and most important, a rapid wit to hurl the abuses, the harassments, the insults? Man, it would be great.

I suppose that if we were to ever have the honor of being insulted buy a true professional we would (a) have to laugh at the accusation and/or the way it was worded and (b ) wish we joined the debating club and read a whole lot more in high school.

A true insult should not threaten or use profanity. It should leave the victim both smiling and fuming. A fine insult should say more about the victim than the accuser. A great insult is a thing of beauty.

Now, if I could only find that link about great insults…..

Good quality insulting is a lost art. People don't take the time any more to craft a well-worded and witty skewer. It's all just, "F*ck you!", "No, f*ck you!" Or, if they're really inventive, it's, "F*ck you, you f*cking f*ck!"

You're pining for the Renaissance days when it was as much a manly art as fencing, often lead up to a duel, and yet could be and was practiced by women as well.

By gone days.

Now, if I could only find that link about great insults…..

John S.

Well, here is one. Wish I could think that creatively when I'm annoyed... biggrin.gif

http://joatmoaf.typepad.com/i_love_jet_noise/2004/08/fine_art_of_ins.html

Had a great book once on creative insults (kept it next to my book of collective nouns...) but haven't seen it for a long time. I feel a visit to Chapters coming upon me... tongue.gif

ccairspace

CA has had a bee in the bonnet ever since we talked about who Dagger is. By the way I'm a Ms.

Ms. FL, You may think whatever you wish about bee's and bonnets. I, like many others just did not feel that anyone here has a right to "out" any other member of this forum if they wish to remain anonymous.

I'm pleased to see that Admin has made these type's of actions grounds for sanction. It benefits anonymous posters such as yourself as much as dagger. The next time you find dagger's comments striking a nerve perhaps you can come back with some witty remarks like "I know you are but what am I?"

biggrin.gif

seems the shoe was on the other foot looking back at the archives when the dog was peeing you off...lol. CA you are a hypocrite.

Ouch!!

Live by the sword, die by the sword hmm?

Nice work Ma'am. tongue.gif

P.S. Of note is the individual allegedly in question has responded to many post with "Mark", "Clive", "Clives poodle" (my favourite FWIW!) etc. Context is important here.

seems the shoe was on the other foot looking back at the archives when the dog was peeing you off...lol. CA you are a hypocrite.

Yep, there was a time when he got under my skin, and I did the same, but it was a fair time ago, and I have changed my views. I admit I was wrong to do it then, and you are justified in calling me a hypocrite now. I am not perfect. There is a wealth of information available on this site, and if someone that wishes to remain anonymous leaves because I tried to out them, or you tried to out them it would be a lessor place for it.

In any case, the rule against "outing" someone isn't new. It may have only recently appeared in the guidelines, but it's been listed in the terms of use all along.

I guess some people just weren't getting the message.

Archived