AC launches Toronto-Frankfurt Freighter service

CanadaEH

Air Canada Cargo Launches Toronto-Frankfurt Freighter Service; Increases Cargo Capacity in Western Canada

MONTREAL, Nov. 3 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada Cargo today announced that it has increased cargo capacity significantly on the north Atlantic and in Canada with the launch of new dedicated freighter services. Through a lease agreement with Gemini Air Cargo, Air Canada Cargo has introduced five times weekly freighter service between Toronto and Frankfurt. With a total cargo capacity of 85 tonnes, the McDonnell Douglas MD-11 service represents a 16 per cent increase in available weight capacity.

In addition, Air Canada Cargo has boosted freight capacity within Canada through an agreement with Cargojet Airways. Using Boeing 727 cargo aircraft on the Toronto-Calgary-Vancouver route, Air Canada Cargo provides its customers with an additional 18 tonnes of upper deck capacity four days per week. "With the launch of dedicated all-freight services on key routes in Canada and over the North Atlantic, Air Canada Cargo is strengthening its position in the highly competitive cargo business by introducing new services that complement our shared capacity with Air Canada's passenger operations," said Claude Morin, Vice President, Air Canada Cargo. "Today, with Air Canada having successfully restructured its business and reduced costs to competitive levels, Air Canada Cargo is positioned to succeed as a stand alone business unit. Air Canada Cargo is focused on pursuing strategic growth opportunities in response to demand from freight forwarders and industry clients while meeting their needs on a world wide scale." Air Canada Cargo is a limited partnership of ACE Aviation Holdings, Inc. It offers cargo services on domestic Canada, U. S. transborder and international flights operated by Air Canada. Cargo services include guaranteed choice of flight airport-to-airport services for high priority shipments (AC Expedair and AC Priority), and air freight services (AC Air Freight), to Air Canada destinations world wide. Air Canada Cargo provide direct air cargo service to approximately 225 Canadian and international destinations and has sales representation in more than 50 countries.

I'm doing two FRA's this month.

The plan is, I ditch the crew just after C & I, drop my uniform, mug a Lufthansa flight attendant, (preferably one not wearing nylon) don their uniform and make my way over to the freighter terminal for a totally (whatever you do, don't mention this to Robert Milton) surreptitious surveillance of AC's cargo operations.

I will, with the aid of a satellite link to ACPA headquarters, determine whether or not this reputed cargo operation is: "pursuing strategic growth opportunities", "complementing our shared capacity with Air Canada's passenger operations" and, not to put too fine a point on it, "strengthening our position in the highly competitive cargo business."

If it doesn't meet that criterion, mark my words, I'm sending a strongly worded message to someone.

neo

Archived