Bye Bye 747's....

Mitch Cronin

At this very moment there's a gathering in the hangar I work in, to bid farewell to the 747's at AC...

They're very fine ships... Our last 3 may have been some odd ones, but interior makeup aside, ....what a machine!

I'll miss 'em. ...and I think Air Canada needs some kind of big beautiful flagship to replace them now. (apologies to the 340 lovers, but they just don't have the same stature)

Any major mega airline worth it's salt needs some great monster to carry it's name and show it's glory ...something that all the little kids can look out the windows of the terminals at and say "Wow!".... 747's have always been that beast... what's next?

Any major mega airline worth it's salt needs some great monster to carry it's name and show it's glory ...something that all the little kids can look out the windows of the terminals at and say "Wow!".... 747's have always been that beast... what's next?

Okay Mitch, I'll bite. What's AA's "great monster" to carry the flag?

Hi Mitch...

I was looking for ya, where were you?

I have to agree, they did bring a certain Stately grace to this airline and will be missed. Lots of stories to be told in the ready rooms for years to come.

On a related note...

How long do you think it will be before they announce an order for a half dozen or so 380's for the uplift to Europe????????? ohmy.gif

Iceman cool26.gif

P.S. How's Griffon?

Dagger... I said: "worth it's salt".

AA (and I'll admit, this opinion might be personal biggrin.gif ) sucks! tongue.gif

Ice man... I didn't stick around this morning... We cleaned up the hangar for the doo... I asked which honcho's would be coming, and when I was told Milton wouldn't be there, I hopped in the truck and headed home...

-- I'd love to meet the guy some time.. tell him I liked his book, give him s#it for scaring the crap out of me when he called me... a few things to thank him for, a few things to swear at him for, a few things to ask, a few things to tell... See if he'll admit to being a regular on this forum some time ago (might have to ask him that one in private)... and maybe just shake his hand because I get a rush out of being able to shake the hand of rich folks sometimes? biggrin.gif ... maybe it makes me feel a little less like a peon to be acknowledged by the rich and powerful? (I once stood in a line of folks waiting to get Gretzky's autograph... he sat there bored as hell, signing and signing and gazing around with this blank look... when I finally got to him I said I didn't want his autograph, I just wanted to shake his hand... he lit up as he stood to shake my hand.) ... ahhh hell, what can I say... I'd like to meet Milton for some reason... maybe for exactly the reasons I just said? I dunno... I probably wouldn't admit to any of that if I didn't have this drink with me wink.gif [relax folks, this is my Friday night] --

Griffon is doing very well now... thanks for asking Iceman... He's got some kind of "miopathy"(? I think that's what they called it?) that's causing his wobbly back end now... not at all related to what he ate and got stuck in him (which he finally did get rid of),.... and between that and the epilepsy, the phenobarbital, thyroid junk, and other medications he takes, he's probably not long for this planet.... But for now, he's a happy dog and I plan to do my damnedest to keep him that way.

Cheers, beer_mug.gif

Mitch

Mitch

Glad to hear Griffon is ok , enjoy him while you can. My oversized Sheltie follows me everywhere even the bathroom (I close the door on him!) Very loyal!

I am only on page 11 of RM's book so can't comment yet. I did meet him at my 25 year party in Yul when he was Vice- something under Lamarr Durette(?) Lamarr was very personable but RM was standoffish. I shook his hand but it wasn't very exciting so you haven't missed anything.

Had Appletons this past weekend - it was good but Lemon is better !

Archived