Clive speaks, again.

Seeker

Clipped from the National Post:

"Regardless whether the Jazz agreement will spark a fight between pilots, the Air Canada unit believes it makes it a more formidable competitor in the air. "We believe these changes will make for an exciting new business and new competition," said Nick DiCintio, chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association's Jazz unit. "WestJet, beware."

The head of WestJet was not surprised by the comments. "It just shows you the mindset of the organization, try to destroy the competition," Clive Beddoe, chairman and chief executive of Calgary-based WestJet, said yesterday. "Instead of worrying about its own business it's preoccupied with how it can destroy somebody else. It's really pathetic."

Clive, do you think at all before you open your mouth? It appears that you do not.

Guest WA777

"Classless" Clive has been out to destroy Air Canada since the beginning....he shouldn't be so surprised that some of us intend to fight back.....

Guest b52er

New competition? If adding RJ's are new competition......BRING IT ON! AC tried in the summer of 99' and as "Simcoe" reiterated in a post below, WJA knocked the crap out of them on the YEG-YYC run.......the run that AC targeted. Simply put.......RJ's are more costly to operate per ASM than a 737-700. In case the Jazz fellas and gals havn't noticed, it was only an ploy to get you to agree to wage consessions....and unfortunately, you took the bait. Bigger airplanes than the ones your operating. JR pulled off the oldest trick in the book.....LOL.

The way I ubderstand it, a CRJ 200 breaks even at 11 or 12 passangers. A 737's break even point I don't know but is for sure higher then that. Also the CRJ's biggest problem is that they have a hard time in mountainous areas (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) so that may have had something to do with it, and not only Westjet beating them.

""said Nick DiCintio, chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association's Jazz unit. "WestJet, beware." ""

Classless who? You guys are still leaning over the precipice and the first thing out of his mouth is "WestJet, beware." What the hell is he supposed to say? When your "competitor" puts you publicly in the gunsights you're going to shoot back aren't you?

Sheesh, give us a break!!

Guest A310

"Clive has been out to destroy Air Canada since the beginning" -- Oh brother. What reality are you living in? When WJ started up and then were temporarily shut down, their M.O. was to "destroy Air Canada." I thought that they were attempting to offer an alternative service which was immune to the predatory policy of Air Canada. That's a new thought - Air Canada wanting to 'destroy'- price a competitor- off the market. Maybe if they had a real business plan and were flexible enough to react to changes in the industry they wouldn't be in such a fix.

Good luck to all involved.

An outsider. A310

Guest Roadie

No kidding , the -700 has a cheaper ASM than the RJ? OK so lets see you fill the -700 on YQR to YWG. Let's put it into perspective here , also I wouldn't be bragging about the wages either.

Guest b52er

The RJ and 700 both with 70 seats filled cost exactly the same on the stage length to operate. The advantage is we have an additional 70 seats available for much less cost than adding another RJ. And quite frankly, the route requires at least 25% more seats than 70. So.......you figure it out. Like I said, bring it on!

Guest b52er

WJ isn't even a minnow out East yet.......They've just started exploring and poking their nose in. Wait for 18 months. Then.........

Guest Roadie

OK , even if that is true( which I highly doubt since the breakeven point for an RJ is 7 pax), the initial capital costs to purchase a -700 is alot more than an RJ. Do you seriously think that the Regina to Winnipeg sector needs a 100 seat aircraft, I don't think so. We used to do it with the f28 and the load usually hovers around 40 if your lucky.

Archived