AA management bonus

Guest rollingrock

Guest rollingrock

Was watching the nbc nightly news and they had a report on AA. It was discovered that after all labour groups agreed to concessions (pilots 27%, FA 16%, ramp 16%)management had given themselves a 300% raise with bonuses that they did not disclose to the unions during negotiations.

Another example of why unions and employees have zero trust in management....unbelievable!

Guest flyersclub

see my post below, after this was disclosed, it was cancelled by aa and they apologized to employees.

Guest WA777

Where have all the real leaders with integrity gone?...Don Carty taking a bonus while facing bankruptcy....Robert Milton blaming all the unions.......Hollis,please come back...!

Guest rollingrock

not sure if i'm reposting because the screen went blank when i hit post..anyways

the only reason management fessed up or "disclosed" this info. is because it is the law, otherwise it would have been a little golden parachute kept quiet off the backs of the employees.

unbelievable they could sit across the table from people making 30k a year and asking them for 16% wage cuts while they are writing themselves million dollar cheques.

they will never repair the damage this has caused, even the news report and pax were very favourable to the unions.

Back room deals? Forget the managers "tasked" with the job? Yeah..maybe a lot of pilots at mainline found his approach appealing but many sages consider that the same approach was the precursor of today's hardships. He wasn't thinking long-term; he was thinking his term.

Guest WA777

He was the best boss I've ever had...period! He repected you and he got the same in return from everyone who met him...if you worked for the mainline you would know that.

Guest WA777

He was the best boss I've ever had...period! He respected you and he got the same in return from everyone who met him...if you worked for the mainline you would know that.

Guest Airmail

Hear, hear! If Hollis came back, the first decision he'd make is to ask Milton to be CEO...don't forget that many of Hollis' commercial decisions were, in reality, Milton's (US expansion, use of RJs, international expansion, fleet mix, schedule, etc)!

So if Hollis "was the only real leader" AC ever had and Milton was the only VP that Hollis ever listened to and was the one person Hollis trusted ergo Milton ain't too bad then is he?

It's amazing how people long for the past. Wouldn't it be great if AC was still a crown corp and we could all just be simple bureaucracts protected from the ills of the world and the big bad wolf?

Hmmm... I met Hollis once, and he seemed like a nice guy. I wouldn't imagine you would have become much closer to him than that. Your post seems to suggest some employer-employee bond between you two and somehow I doubt you ever had a barbeque over at his house.

Let's face it, Hollis was lucky. He ran AC when fuel prices were low and the economy was turning around. Always nice to leave a party on a high note.

Shortly after leaving AC, he became CEO at World Airways and if you compare the values of the two stocks since he arrived there in May 99 up until the last couple of weeks, AC has outperformed WLDA (link below) for almost the entire time, except around Sept 11. The reason why there is a crossover now is because of the war (WLDA's biggest customer is the US military).

Seems like he left a legacy of good memories wherever he went, but that probably has more to do with his public persona than anything else. The one thing he was good at was attracting quality people, of whom Milton was one.

It's true that Milton will "clearly" never be a great orator or public persona, but when you think about what he has accomplished in the face of adversity over the past few years, it's hard to deny he has done amazing things. He dealt with everything every other airline in the world had to deal with plus a merger, all the while with an interfering Canadian government looking over his shoulder.

If people take it personally that he has had to do some unpopular things to keep the airline afloat their jobs intact, that's their right, but I also think its their problem.

Guest WA777

Inchman....I had several lengthy discussions with Hollis on different subjects over the years and he was a visitor to my flight deck many times...he was always sincere even when the issues were difficult and painful...I had nothing but the upmost respect for him and I certainly felt my opinion got his respect. It was always a question of trust, I trusted him....Can I trust anyone now?
As for World Airways, it has suffered like everyone else since the spring of 2000 but Hollis has done some amazing things there and if and when the airline industry ever recovers you can be sure World will be one of the leaders......

Guest Airmail

Have you ever had Milton in your flight deck? Was he a ba$tard to deal with? If not, what exactly do you have Hollis to compare to other than your imagination?

Guest WA777

Yes....Milton has been up front for a conversation or three.....I actually found him a very smart guy but I never really got that feeling of comfort that I got from Hollis...with Milton I always found there were just too many unanswered questions.....about employees, about the company, about strategy in a general sense etc...the conversations always left me a little uneasy I guess.....

This is only second hand information, but I have been told that those who work with Milton on a daily basis really like the guy.

As a Jazz pilot I'll just throw in my two cents as well - I had a chance to meet and talk with Mr Milton one-on-one at the employee/shareholder meeting last year. I found him to be very personable, easy to talk to but more to the point willing to comment freely on some not-so polictically correct topics. He seemed to be actually telling me how he felt, not covering his ass or hedging.

Archived