In Defence of Rob Assaf

Schooner69

Although Rob hardly needs defending by me. However, I do agree with him in one respect: your right to express your displeasure by demonstrating against anything stops dead at my right to not be bothered/inconvenienced/PO'd/whatever.

Dissent and disagreement are indications of a healthy democracy; however, if you impede me in any way in the pursuit of those courses of action, don't be upset if I get upset.

One of the great things about passing sixty is that you're allowed to become curmudgeonly. (;>0)

Well, I sorta go with Rob. It doesn't matter how many, or who protests, the war is not going to stop...so why bother ???

Scuba 02 gets really ticked with me cause everytime I see a bunch of protestors I always ask, "Don't these people have jobs?"

Then again perhaps the majority are retired :)

Guest ulamo

Maybe what is offensive about Rob's post is the broad generalization that anti war protesters are a bunch lazy bums that have never had a job.

What is equally offensive is that most people that are advocating military action in Iraq are advocating that it be done by some one else. Ask your self, Would you sacrifice your kids to remove Saddam from power? Are you willing to get involved? Of course not...the loudmouths that want to kick Saddams butt won't be doing it themselves.

Maybe you have been inconvienced Schooner by the protests, but go turn on CNN. By conservative estimates 1000's of Iraqis lost their lives in the carpet bombing in Baghdad tonight and not one of those people were involved in 9/11.

Also about 15 allied soldiers are dead in the first 3 days of this war. I would show a little more reverence and avoid a political rant about gun registration at at time like this.

The Americans are clearly complicit in Saddams position of power in the first place and this thing could have been settled diplomatically.

Carpet bombing? I want you to show me EXACTLY where it says the US/UK have carpet bombed Bahgdad. Also point out to me where 1000's of civilians have lost their lives.

Tough time finding it? It's because it isnt' there. If you want to make a point, use the truth not fantasy.

As for diplomacy with Saddam, why don't you ask the villagers in Kurdistan who were killed by Saddam's chemical diplomacy a dozen years ago? Remember the pictures? Remember the mother holding her baby trying to escape the gas? How diplomatic was that? In order for diplomacy to work, both sides have to live by the conventions it runs under. Saddam gave that up a long, long time ago.

Guest ulamo

The American military (and media), lied through their teeth during the last Gulf conflict about the accuracy of their bombing. It turned out be very innacurate and the patriot missles were almost 100% ineffective. Don't be so nieve, 100's of bombs rained down on Baghdad today and lots of people lost their lives, quibble about the numbers if you like.

As far as the gassing of the Kurds, Saddams 8 year romance with the Americans during the Iran/Iraq war is where he was supplied with most of his munitions including gas.So don't lecture me about the morality of this situation.

This conflict is about George W's personal retribution for his fathers failure during Gulf War 1 and the "Rumsfeld, Cheney Regan, Axis of dimwits" aggresion policy and nothing else.

If you want a regime to worry about, look at North Korea or why not Saudia Arabia, that's where Osama and all the 9/11 terrorists came from...for Gods sake you two, stop listening to the right wing rhetoric and look at what is going on here.

Guest Pat Reid

So we should all stop listening to the right wing rhetoric and start listening to the left wing rhetoric? Is that correct?

Guest Virtual

Ah, yes. Diplomacy is what Saddam uses when
he uses the 'per martyr payment' of $25 000 per Palestinian suicide bomber. How about when
he films and watches as he immerses those
who disagree with him... into vats of hydrochloric acid? Somehow, it seems that those who 'talk to him' end up in pieces in a
bodybag. As Oriana Fallaci wrote..."When peace stands for surrender, fear, loss of dignity and freedom, it is no longer peace. It's suicide."

Regarding this present conflict, I guess that time will tell what the right answer is. I only hope that the result will be a freer and safer Irag.

Guest Panama Jack

"HIS people are dying because HE made the mistakes."

he he he. Kinda translates well to our airline industry here don't it?. Thousands will lose their jobs here also because their managements made the mistakes. We know the bleeding hearts will be screaming, but heck, it can all be justified in the end & everything is cool.

Guest Panama Jack

he he he. And people complain about Milton as CEO? Imagine, if you will, Jean as CEO of Air Canada! Then it would really be a basket case.

Guest leftbase

Yes, and (to ulamo) it's not terribly relevant to point to the previous Gulf war as evidence of present casualties, seeing as the munitions in use today are an order of magnitude more precise than that used ten years ago!

(They should be - nothing gets R&D dollars like the US military establishment - but that's another topic.)

Guest Westdude

"This conflict is about George W's personal retribution for his fathers failure during Gulf War 1" What's that his humiliating Victory?

Communists and left wing conspirists like yourself should stay in the closet.

The American and British troops are dying to protect the freedom that you take for granted.

"Carpet bombing" If they were doing that they wouldn't use expensive JDAMS. That is an insult to every member of the Armed Forces of all Free nations.

And yes, I would fight myself, because Freedom is worth it.

Archived