Steve Smith on CBC

Seeker

Steve smith told a CBC reporter this morning that Zip plans are going ahead: He expects to have 20 aircraft by the end of the year and is continuing to hire FA's. 20 aircraft? All 37's? The press release says that the 37's are gone but maybe it means gone from mainline and added to Zip.

Guest kevbert

I don't see Zip surviving. If AC has entered CCAA to be able to compete with the low fare carriers and with the non-existent business class traveller domestically, mainline AC will have its costs lowered to be become the "new Zip." Tango may exist in a form to appeal only to special travel destinations (a revised ACV?), but if "the model is broken and AC won't emerge until its has a viable operation" then there is no need for Zip.

I think ZIP will survive to become the domestic portion of the new AC. 'Air Canada' will become an international division and perhaps Tango will do longer NA routes.
A possibility IMO.

At any rate, having been through this kind of difficulty with C3, I hope my friends and the rest of the employees get through this with the minimal pain possible. From experience, if the worst happens to an individual (lay-off) it is scary, difficult and a roller coaster of emotions, but definitely possible to overcome. Best wishes.

Archived