Montreal Gazette villifies AC employees

Guest yudig

A quote from an article in today's Gazette. Seems like somebody has something messed up. Where did they get this idea that employees complained that they can't get a seat with their passes. I think we all know if there is space we go if not wait for the next flight. The media sure knows how to make AC employees sound like a bunch of whiners & complainers.

"Last September, some Air Canada workers sparked a campaign complaining that they're having a harder time finding seats using their employee travel passes"

Here is the article.

Airline employee travel suit to proceed
Former staffers of Canadian International, BC Air say Air Canada yanked privileges unfairly

NICOLAS VAN PRAET
The Gazette

Friday, February 28, 2003
ADVERTISEMENT

The B.C. Supreme Court has certified a class-action lawsuit against Air Canada and a subsidiary by former employees who allege the Montreal airline bilked them out of travel benefits to which they were entitled.

Three plaintiffs, former longtime employees of Canadian Airlines International Ltd. or Air BC, claim the severance and retirement packages they negotiated with their companies assured them certain travel benefits, such as cheaper airline tickets on their own airline and other airlines.

Air Canada changed the travel policy for employees in September 2000, about nine months after Air Canada bought Canadian Airlines. It cancelled all employee travel discounts negotiated between Canadian Airlines and other airlines.

"The sudden, harsh, and malicious manner of the change and the bad faith unilateral modification of the severance and retirement packages warrants the imposition of punitive and exemplary damages to punish the defendants," reads the statement of claim filed in Vancouver on Wednesday.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

An Air Canada official said the plaintiffs are now receiving full travel privileges on the Air Canada network. The official said employees' access to travel discounts have always been a privilege, not a right.

"They're subject to change without notice by the company."

David Klein, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said "the cavalier attitude with which Air Canada and Air Canada Regional have treated their former loyal and trusting employees cannot be allowed to continue without challenge and redress."

About 1,500 former employees of Canadian Airlines and Air BC were affected by Air Canada's unilateral move, the claim states.

Air BC is now part of Air Canada's regional airline Jazz.

Current employees at Air Canada have also complained about their travel perks in recent months.

Last September, some Air Canada workers sparked a campaign complaining that they're having a harder time finding seats using their employee travel passes.

Guest jzdude

Try counting one above my response to your e-mail and you will see your childish comment. Did you forget what you wrote?

CP FA was just making a comment that the Gazette article was probably about the pass priority nonsense that went on last year, she never stated she was for or against the equal priority. I fail to see how this can be referred to as childish.

Guest Terminated

Don't embarrass the Jazz employees by combining your offensive tone with that handle. cpfa didn't say anything wrong---just made an innnocuous hypothesis on some weak reporting.

Guest Philip Aubin

Yudig,

Its funny how people percieve things differently. The reporter was writing an article about retiree problem's with pass travel. To broaden the story line the reporter mentioned that there had been another story earlier in the year about problems with pass travel. As much as I think that the media normally likes to through darts at AC, I don't think it happened here. I just don't feel villified :).

Philip Aubin
AC Pilot

Archived