Computer Q

dragon

My 14 month old got a hold of my mouse and within a matter of two clicks, my task bar on the lower 1/2 inch of the monitor, including start icon, short cuts, connection status and clock are gone. smart son, dumb dad. My trusty 'smart guy' has the afternoon off.

Cannot find it anywhere, can someone help?..

Thank you

dragon

When you run the mouse over the bottom of the screen, if you get a vertical arrow, you can drag it upward, and your toolbar should reappear. Alternatively, you could restart using the reset button.

BTW, as a result of my daughter experimenting with possible fixes for your problem, my toolbar is all buggered up now too. Kids... can't live with them, can't let them use the computer...

Unfortunatly, my troubles run deeper than that. The last thing I saw was the toolbar vertical on the right side of the monitor, then gone - hope not forever..

In my attempt to restore to the horizontal default, I may have exacerbated my problem. Grrr

Guest Bulkwheat

Hi Dragon,

Here is a quick solution.
Click on start and go to all programs. Click on accessories and go to system tools. Click on system restore. This allows you to pick an earlier date in time (say yesterday) when everything on your computer was normal, and restore your computer. The process is completely reversible.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...

Guest a300guy

Put you mouse on all four sides of the screen to make sure the task bar hasn't been auto-hidden by mistake. If it's on the side or bottom or top of the screen, it will re-appear when you put the mouse cursor right to the edge of the screen.

Then right click on a blank part of the task bar. Find the atributes and remove the check mark from the auto-hide function.

You can click on your task bar and drag it to any of the four edges of the screen, if you want to move it back to the bottom.

Hope this helps!

Hi Barney,

Thanks. I finally have a start menu again and the toolbar has reappeared, vertically, on the right hand edge of the monitor. In system tools I have 'System Information' and 'System Monitor' No system 'reset'.

I remember once dragging the taskbar to the bottom but cannot get it to go. Did try a reboot, no luck. Finally, the 'Auto Hide" is NOT activated.

I appreciate all the responses so far. get this task bar to the bottom and the beers on me. :)

If the taskbar is visible but refuses to be dragged it may be locked. Try right clicking the taskbar then click on "lock taskbar". Failing that, right click and select properties. On the taskbar tab click the box "lock the taskbar" so no check mark is visible. Drag the taskbar back down to where you want it. When it's there you may want to lock it again. Cheers

Guest Herman Nelson

Hey, I have been there, at least 3 times in the past with 98. This is not very scientific, but it has worked every time. I have had my task bar on top, side, tried dragging it, only to have it cover half the screen. My bar has been all over! I eventually discovered this trick to return it to the bottom.

Here is what you do. If it is on top, put the mouse on the right side of the bar, positioning the mouse to get double arrows. Now L click like hell, moving the mouse ever so slightly. It will bounce to the R side, vertically. Now do the same thing at the bottom of the vertical task bar, and it will bounce to the bottom, horizontally where you want it.

The task bar follows the end you click on, and moves it to the adjacent side.

Use fast repeated clicks

Cheers, Herman Nelson

Archived