UAL ESOP Suit filed

Guest JW

The following is a quote from JW's link.

>>The suit claims that UAL was in deep financial difficulty well before the September 11 attack, and the plan trustees ignored the warning signs, including grim forecasts by the UAL leadership. Even after the September 11 attack, UAL CEO James Goodwin noted that the problems at UAL were deep and systemic.

According to Goodwin, “Before September 11, we were not in a comfortable financial state, with costs exceeding our revenue on a daily basis…Clearly this bleeding has to be stopped – and soon – or United will perish sometime next year.”<<<

It was right around this time, (Sep 11), that Milton saw the writing on the wall and did something about it. The much higher priced CEO's at UAL and AA just carried on as per usual until they wound up where they are today. Now they are finally attempting to copy Milton's plan but it is too little too late.

Whether you like MIlton or not he is the difference between having an airline with options like we at AC have today, or being like UAL with virtually no options left.

IMHO

Greg Robinson

Guest RVR1200

Greg,

As good as RM's plan is, the folks at Jazz are starting to feel like the United folks. RM's plan seems to be to develop a low cost domestic operation. The only group not included in his plan is Jazz. RM would love to sell Jazz, but doesn't seem to really want to let go. Thus we continue to hang around and slash at Jazz. It's getting quite frustrating....

And the stock isn't much better than United's....

IMHO RVR

Hi RVR 1200

I absolutely agree that a job is a job and if someone loses a job at JAZZ it hurts just as much as someone losing a job at the mainline.

It appears to me that the industry is changing. South West has changed the way the travelling public buys tickets. Our customers are more and more going on line and buying the cheapest available ticket. What that has meant is that companies like West Jet can go into markets that JAZZ has been serving, sell tickets at a price that JAZZ can't match and do it with a 737.

As I understand Milton he is saying that he wants to grow the revenue base by expanding the mainline which would include the low cost part of it. I have to agree that it does leave JAZZ out in the cold, not because anyone in the AC Family wants it that way, but only because of the realities of the marketplace. There is still a place for JAZZ on some routes, but unfortunately fewer routes than you flew previously.

The one big hope that I see it, is that with growth at the mainline, (if it works out the way that I believe Milton wants it to), there will be sufficient hiring at the mainline, or ZIP, to take up the excess for those who want to move over. There are also a huge number of retirements coming up.

There is no doubt that Milton would like to see us doing more for less, but in spite of what many posters here seem to believe, I am convinced that he is committed to saving as many, jobs as he can, and that includes JAZZ.

Not easy times, and I agree that's particularly so at JAZZ.

Greg

Guest George

Well AC stock is no star performer, but I would suggest that hits doing a hell of a lot better than any full service carrier is right now......

Guest George

Is your name on the Equipment list? If not then I don't think you work for the same company or you don't have crew wet leasing agreement.

Well you see, it's like this.

The real extreme opinions aside, most people, on both sides, agree in a principle - until that principle affects them in a negative way - and then principle turns to something else, something ugly.

Sadly and most unfortunately, we [all pilots in the 'wholly owned' AC], did not have the wisdom or the foresight, to overcome some short term difficulty for the good of all, long term.

good luck GTFA

dragon
AC

Archived