No wonder people fly Westjet

Guest woxof

Guest woxof

I posted this message on January 6. Based on my eperience yesterday, I'd like to repost it. How to piss off hundreds of much needed customers in one day.

"...but in YOW there was a huge lineup. And I mean ridiculously long. Not just for regular check-in, but also for the so called faster kiosk check-in. Now I'm just travelling on an interline ticket but most of these people paid big bucks. 19 check-ins open, 11 closed.

I didn't even bother lining up but it must have been at least an hour long. This is not nearly the first time I have seen this. No wonder people are going to Westjet.

My dad tried to book a flight on AC the other day and was on hold so long he gave up trying and was going to get a travel agent to book. No wonder people are going to Westjet.

However, WJ doesn't fly the route he wanted...yet. How many times have you been on an AC flight and sat short of the gate waiting for a marshaller.

It takes money to make money and passengers are not interested in excuses. Maybe WJ has their own problems I don't know, but when people have to go to ridiculous extremes to buy a service, They will go somewhere else if they can. That is a shame. I think a strong AC is good for the aviation industry.

Perhaps AC employees could put some ideas in the suggestion box and if AC doesn't have one...write a letter and suggest that they do."

With all due respect, I really don't follow where you are going with this post.

If you have had a bad experience, how about posting the facts instead of just throwing out an old posting, unless of course all the facts in this post are exactly the same as 06 January.

It is easy to criticize for the sake of criticizing but how about some relevant facts so that the readers can be the judge of the "bad experience" you may or may not have had......sound fair ????:s

Guest jimmy

A friend had Westjet lose her bag going YEG-YQR two years ago. Should I post that here every two months?

It might be better to post what &%$@! you off yesterday.

Jimmy

Same?

I have had back luck with Caravan transmissions. It's not an unknown issue. Do people stop buying Chrysler minivans?? You have a choice. Personally, my relationship with Chrysler is over - but I don't rag on about it forever (unless someone asks).

...imo!

JW

Also the long 'Grand' caravans had a lot more trouble. I asked a local tranny service if they saw them more than usual. He said the biggest factor to him was that "they sold sooo many of the damn things. Mine's 5 years old - no prob yet, touch wood. My sisters is 10 and a-ok so far.

Guest a300guy

I flew out of Ottawa on Friday morning at 06:45 on WestJet. No line-ups. We were second in line when we got to the check-in.

On the other hand, the line-up for Air Canada was unbelievable! We could barely make it through the concourse. The people were lined up through their normal line and then back in a continuing line right out into the main part of the terminal.

I can't imagine how these people made their flights!

Sure happy I was riding on WestJet. We had time to go for a leisurely breakfast after we checked in.

I cycle through YOW very frequently. The situation, sadly, appears stagnant. There are good, hard working folks here as everywhere, but their actions are rendered invisible by others.

Here are some examples I have seen.

At check-in during a peak time, half of the check-in stations were empty. It is hard to put in (polite) words the feeling of finally making it to the front of the line and see a check-in agent become free - only to hear them say "I'm taking my break" and walk away with no one to take their place. I'm sure it is their right and they must be tired. But the effect is memorable and long-lasting.

How about standing in line (for a long time) while two AC employees (in uniform) stand nearby grousing (for what seems to be a long time as well) about how brutally their management is treating them? Of course, it begs the question, what were they supposed to be doing instead? Maybe helping the line get moving? I dunno, but it sure made me want to be anywhere else.

The good news, on balance, is that for those who can keep their sense of perspective through these moments, they can look forward to what I've found is excellent service at the gate and on board.

I'll step out of my diatribe for a moment - Consider just how professional the in-flight folks have to be, given that they are dealing constantly with a travelling public that is almost programmed by the media to treat them with disdain, and often arrive at the aircraft in a mood to rip someone a new attitude.

Everyone tells AC to learn from WestJet. Well, it's easy to smile at someone who is already smiling. These folks can do it when folks are treating them like dirt, when they don't deserve it. Seems to me AC In-flight and Flight Ops folks don't have to sit second to anyone. Now back to my soap box...

Here's how it all adds up, based on what I see and hear from my fellow travellers. Check-in experience varies from OK to infuriating(unless you can use the automatics, which are great), followed by wading through a sea of idle security folks that check boarding passes several times (my personal record is five), reminding me that my $24 is nearly a complete waste, then to the x-ray machines where the security experience varies from good to degrading, then, if you haven't run out of time, to the gate.

By the time the average YOW traveller arrives at the gate with a boarding pass, even a flawless experience thereafter can only hope to undo the damage already done. Instead of a great, "I'll be back" experience, for many, it's rendered neutral, or worse by the events that have already taken place.

I am not wise enough to understand what is wrong with AC Ottawa. With sincere respect to the folks there who are working their hearts out, it is time to kick butt and take names. Recognise those agents that are working hard and doing it right. Deal individually with those who simply are not in the right job. The ground operation can do much better, and with the right leadership and staff YOW really stands to re-gain a bunch of passengers.

...Just my opinion.
Vs

Agree.

WRT the security comments, it's really just to connect the flight segments. They don't work for AC, but you would be suprised at how often their antics are connected by passengers, AND the security staff themselves.

Here's one for instance from two weeks ago. The line up was huge, nerves tense as it was clear that many folks were going to miss their flight. AC mad a "last call announcement". An AC passenger agent came to the line and facilitated the rapid advancement of several passengers out of sequence so they could make their flight.

This triggered quite a reaction among some of the passengers who were not expedited. Rather than see it as AC trying to look out for their passengers, other folks starting asking security why AC passengers were getting such preferential treatment. The security staff's answer clearly put the focus on Air Canada, along with a sideline reference to the "Air Canada security" at the other end of the upper lobby. No mention of the fact that other airlines' gate staff could have done the same as AC had just done.

What does security have to do with AC. If perception counts in YOW, then quite a bit.

Cheers
Vs

Archived