vacation

Guest lowtime

Guest Starman

I thought Robinson was a controller...

You know... "...I say Biggles, vector 140, angels 5; Huns on patrol... Heinkels and 109's; ...strangle the parrot, and do hurry! Kettle's on if you bring the kite back in one piece..., wot?" ;-)

Ya, but you could get that by just listening... But to write stuff like this:

CH3 tugged at the tit for boost over-ride and got emergency power: a brutal abuse of the engine, a hammering racket that was worth an extra twenty miles an hour unless the Merlin blew herself apart. The cockpit vibrated savagely, shuddering so much he couldn't focus his eyes on the 109's but he guessed the range at a quarter of a mile, gave plenty of lead, fired a two-second burst, then another, and a third. All useless.

I think you have to either have been there and done that, or made it up. :D

But now that you mention it, I see it says here he was a "fighter plotter" in the RAF. What the heck is that? I read somewhere else that he'd flown Hurricanes. Does/did a "plotter" fly? Which is correct I wonder?

Guest Starman

When I read it, I assumed he was a pilot too, but a "fighter plotter" is a combat controller is he not?

There is a bit of inside knowledge in the book about controlling also, so maybe he's just a good researcher. I'd like to do that kind of research over a dark pint or a bottle of Appleton's too... ;-)

Either way, what he really is, is a great writer!

Guest CleardecksforACTION!

Ah yes, thank-you innuendo you are correct. Yes it has been a long time since I read those!

Guest olddakboy

Phantom Over Vietnam....by S.R. Oakley...

Did you ever want to fly an F-4 over the Mekong delta...

You know how some 'pilots accounts' make you want to barffff!!!!...

not this...obviously written by and for a pilot...

this is so totally accurate...it makes me want to stand up and cheer....(I should have been there...you too!!!)

Sorry ....I can't apologize for this....

you make it...or you don't....

it's an air combat thing.............

West With The Night, by Beryl Markham. It's an autobiographical account by a remarkable woman aviator. She was raised in Kenya during the early part of the century; as much by hunters in the local tribe as by her parents. Her account of standing face to face with a rogue bull elephant will put the hair up on the back of your neck. She became an African bush pilot, and eventually the first person to fly solo westbound across the Atlantic. She crash landed in Nova Scotia.

Beautiful book title, too.

neo

Archived