vacation

Guest lowtime

Guest lowtime

Getting ready to go on vacation and just wondering if anyone can recommend. any good

aviation books.

thanks !

If it is the one I am thinking of, PBS put it on as a multi part series on Masterpiece Theatre. It was actualy pretty good with some excellent flying scenes using Spitfires. Don't know how they managed to assemble the number of aircraft that they did but it is worth seeing again.

Guest CleardecksforACTION!

lowtime; Do you have a preference of fiction,non-fiction/ biography, WWI, WWII,?

'The Bandy Papers' series by Donald Jack starting with book one 'Three Cheers For Me!', then 'That's Me In The Middle' etc. A raucus and riotous tale of a young man from 'Beamsville' Ont. who joins the RFC in WWI.

No Kip, I don't think this one was 12 O'Clock high.
"Piece of Cake" was a squadron in France that was driven out to the UK with the rest of the British forces. It was as much about the characters on the squadron as it was about flying, although the Spitfire flying was very well done. It was on Masterpiece Theatre and is probably on DVD somewhere.

Guest CleardecksforACTION!

'Reach For The Sky'...The Douglas Bader story(bio).( I think the authors name is Paul Hillerman but not certain)

'The Big Show' Pierre Closterman (Frenchman flying RAF Typhoons & Tempests WWII)

The one above under the 'Books?' thread looks good. I'll have to try find that.

If you've haven't read F.I.T.H. yet, you've been deprived.

Cheers !

Reach for the sky author is Paul Brickhill, he also wrote The Dambusters.
Clostermann's book must be hard to find. It was published when I was in school (about the time of the formation of the Rockies) I had it memorised then and still have it :)

Clarification.....I realize it wasn't "Twelve O clock High" but thought that was the only other WWII air type show I could compare it to.

The "Yankee" show had all the characters, as did "Piece of Cake" but of course was slanted toward the "Stars and Stripes" and concerned a bomber squadron.I believe Gregory Peck played Col Savage and it was done in 1949. The mini series was done in about 1964-65

I preferred "Piece of Cake" which aired in 1988. The series is available on DVD and VHS

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Flying Officer Cattermole may have been a punter, but he was the best pilot in the squadron (well, maybe Chris Hart was as good). You might want to hunt down Goshawk Squadron by the same author.

I just found that one sitting one my shelves too (now in front of me), and I don't remember reading it. Robinson flew Hurricanes and I thought that must have helped Piece of Cake with it's realism... But WW1 stuff? ... Maybe I'll give it a try.

Guest Starman

I thought Robinson was a controller...

You know... "I say Biggles, vector 140, angels 5; Huns on patrol... Heinkels and 109's; kettle's on if you bring the kite back in one piece..." ;-)

Guest Starman

I thought Robinson was a controller...

You know... "...I say Biggles, vector 140, angels 5; Huns on patrol... Heinkels and 109's; ...do hurry! Kettle's on if you bring the kite back in one piece..., wot?"

Archived