What's a "Loyalty Bonus"???????

Guest Nigol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why the *>"%$ did AC dole out the money in the first place. The real loyal employees at AC should sit down and write a cheque back to the company for the amount they received in bonuses.
If you have a conscience that is.

"Why the *>"%$ did AC dole out the money in the first place."

Why don't you take a minute and explain to all of us why YOU think AC 'doled' out the money in the first place.

I am suspecting you have NO clue whatsoever.

Guest Nigol

I guess the bonus was only for REAL Air Canada employees. I guess I get to keep the old Caravan on the road for the unforseable future. If I had one of them nifty 'loyalty bonuses', who knows, I could have upgraded to kia.

I just know it must have been a lot of money and the airline could not justify doing it now if there ever was a reason. Milton must sincerly regret even coming up with such an idea. All I can say is tsk tsk..shame on Milton and all the greedy employees who accepted the bonus. Look where AC is now. What foresite.

((((shame on Milton and all the greedy employees who accepted the bonus. Look where AC is now. What foresite)))

Just curious, if your Union had negotiated a signing bonus at any time in your career, would you be first in line saying..."No thanks" ???

Com'on now be honest !!! Must be nice to be able to see into the future. :)

There has been lots of discussion about AC's furture going on in this forum for a long time. Even back in 2000 and 2001. Some even suggested there would be growth. Most employees I know did in fact have a vision of what could and eventually would happen to the industry {AC}. We couldn't help it if management were on another planet at the time. Can you imagine what AA,UA,NW,CO,DL would have done with the same market share that AC enjoyed in Canada. I do have a question for AC employees who accepted the bonus. If you new what was going to happen with AC in 2 years, would you have accepted the bonus?

Guest Starman

If Canadian Airlines had gone bankrupt and AC had cherry picked the pieces, they would have had to expand rapidly in order to utilize the route authority brought to it by Canadian. The training costs would have been huge. The benefit of picking up 1250 pilots already working online under a current Operating Certificate should not be underestimated.

Canadian Airlines had already restructured prior to the merger and brought with it $1.8 billion in debt offset by $450 million in tax credits for a net burden of $1.35 billion. Air Canada had over twice that debt burden (not including aircraft orders) at the time of the merger.

The real shame is that Air Canada management did not move forward during the merger employing a "best practices" policy in combining the two companies. I cannot think of any instance in which the efficiencies of the lower cost company were utilized going forward. All of Canadian's costs rose to match AC, and it's a shame because if AC had Canadian's cost per seat mile now, we would be running in the black.

As for loyalty bonuses, the same management which has spent about $100 million in loyalty bonuses to pay off it's original employees for "sticking by them" (management, not the shareholders) during the Onex takeover bid has now sold a significant share of Aeroplan to Onex, with I'm sure, more pieces of the company to follow. If we hadn't spent the bonus money and the $1 billion Robert spent buying up AC shares at $15 bucks plus to make Gerry Swartz look like a genius now, we'd have a lot more room to maneouvre.

Guest George

If you new what was going to happen with AC in 2 years, would you have accepted the bonus?

It's irrelevant. If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, would you waste your time asking stupid questions on the AEF???

Guest George

I cannot think of any instance in which the efficiencies of the lower cost company were utilized going forward.

I didn't hear ALPA turning down the 30% pay increase. Was the 30% lower rates a "best practice"?

Sorry there georgieboy. I think it was my third grade teacher that said no question is too stupid to ask. Maybe its the answer to the question that is difficult. Give it a try Georgie.

Simple fact is that CDN wasn't going to fall apart. When ONEX came on the scene it became evident that the battle was on. Robert felt that he was doing the right thing at the right time. The company was enjoying profits, the economy was relatively strong and there was a desire to keep AC in the Star Alliance. AC not only accumulated the CDN debt but added an additional 3 billion in debt in buying their own shares back. The government played a hand in this by suspending the competition act and this in part forced the AC board's hand.

I personally feel that AC would look much the same today if ONEX had been successful. There would not be as much debt, we would be in the OneWorld Alliance, we would be in a much more advanced res system. All in all I think that we would be better off.

Hindsight is 20/20 and as much as we all like to second guess what happened and point fingers it does us no good. Let's look to the future and make this thing work.

Guest The Gapper

Increases in salary are far more expensive, in the long run, than bonuses in most cases because bonuses don't count toward your pensionable earnings, this means that they don't cost the company nearly as much when it comes to their pension responsibilities. It's quite common at places like General Motors

PS Why turn down a bonus? With the leadership at AC and especially at Jazz, anytime you turn down/give back money to help the company (ie concessions) you are probably just delaying the inevitable(they always find something else to spend it on(Sigma Six)) THERE REALLY IS NO PLAN

Zipped,

To me it is clearly evident that your knowledge of the ‘bonus’, as you and some others refer to it, is a compilation of misconception and perpetual misinformation, you have no idea of neither the premise nor the consequence to employee or corporation.

Rather than continue to grasp at straws, call your union or some pilots that you know and accumulate a basic understanding. After that, come back and we can have an intelligent discussion on not only why YOU think AC 'doled' out the money in the first place but you can explain how AC has saved millions so far and will continue to save millions through the life of the contract.

Cheers zipped

Nobody suggested anything. In fact, in 2000, airlines were reporting record growth and profits.

You say, ”Most employees I know did in fact have a vision of what could and eventually would happen to the industry {AC}”. You have got to be kidding right?

You say, ” Can you imagine what AA,UA,NW,CO,DL would have done with the same market share that AC enjoyed in Canada.” Well lets take UA and DL.

UA: Instead of negotiating a 40% [plus] package of snapbacks and increases, making them the richest pilots in the world, would likely have asked for 20% more. [negotiated in 2000]

DL: Instead of following UA within months and ensuring their contract would be the richest yet, would have asked for that and 20% more, likely. [negotiated in 2000]

AC: For a little comparison. 48 month duration, cost of living increase. [negotiated in 2000]

To your last point, if we knew what would happen in two years none of us would be working still.

Time to start to think a little more before you post zipped.

TO: GURK
"Shame on Milton for stroking his EGO and buying a bankrupt, debt loaded airline.That is the major reason AC is going down the tubes." Urban myth or reality?

Summary Financial Results 1998:
Total long term debt(excluding aircraft leases)
Air Canada $2,917,000
Canadi>n $1,008,000

Summary Financial Results 1990:
Air Canada $2,194,000
Canadi>n $1,552,000

For 1998 I observe Air Canada as twice the size of Canadi>n but with triple the debt. For the period 1990-1998 I see Air Canada increasing debt and Canadi>n decreasing. Post 1998 the Air Canada debt increase was even more dramatic. I think you may wish to reconsider your opinion.

TO: GURK
"Shame on Milton for stroking his EGO and buying a bankrupt, debt loaded airline.That is the major reason AC is going down the tubes."
Urban myth or reality?

Summary Financial Results 1998:
Air Canada $2,917,000,000
Canadi>n $1,008,000,000

Summary Financial Results 1990:
Air Canada $2,194,000,000
Canadi>n $1,552,000,000

For 1998 I observe Air Canada as twice the fleet size of Canadi>n but with triple the debt. For the period 1990-1998 I see Air Canada increasing debt and Canadi>n decreasing. Post 1998 the Air Canada debt increase was even more dramatic. I think you may wish to reconsider your opinion although I do agree there was a lot of EGO involved and it wasn't just Mr. Milton's.

Archived