Hey, Hey, it's the 9th of March...

Guest Starman

Guest Starman

...And F1 runs at Albert Park!

Yeeehaaaa!!!

Herr Schumacher, Formula Juan, Jacques Villernerve... I can't wait ;-)

Guest Starman

I agree... the mechanics are unsung heroes of the sport.

I like the new qualifying format in F1 this year, though. A 1 shot deal makes for more unpredictability and a more interesting field at the start. And there will be strategies unfolding regarding fuel quantity for qualifying and how that will affect race day..

Guest Starman

And have you ever seen a prettier wing than the one on the new McLaren? ;-)

Thanks for the link. I think that as the season progresses, you'll see lower ranked teams qualifying on almost no fuel in order to put their sponsor's logos near the top of the grid. This should make for some interesting passing battles in the early going before those cars have to pit for fuel.

I'm also glad to see Jacques Villeneuve in a car which may actually be faster than a Yugo (provided the motor can hang together for a full race), even though it's only a copy of last year's Williams.

Once again, it's hard to bet against Ferrari and Schumacher, but it should be good to watch ;-)

Guest Starman

Yeah... I'm sure they'd like to launch a scud into the Scuderia...

But when traction control and launch control are outlawed, it will shake things up a bit, although Schumi is probably the best in the field at dealing with both...

I love the look of Jordon's new car. I doubt that we'll be seeing it up front, but it looks great nontheless. Of course, it is missing one major component... a major sponsor!

Are they going to scrap traction and launch control? Obviously I haven't been keeping up with whats what on that scene, but after the bloody dismal excuse for a race at Daytona this year, I've been wondering about other kinds of racing.
If F1 could start showing me there's more driver than car in the result.... who knows...?

I think a lot of these new rules would not have been quite so necessary if BMW, Mercedes and Honda had reduced the number of times they produced clouds of blue smoke from their engines. Schui would still have prevailed IMHO, the reliability he and Rubens enjoyed was amazing but you do have to finish.

Guest Pat Reid

It started about 10pm last night, and what a great race, lot's of lead changes, and best of all Schuii didn't make the podium!
p.s. Villinueve even finished this one!

:)

PR

Guest Starman

Did you notice that after Villeneuve held up Jensen Button for 5 seconds in the pit, Button finished only .5 seconds behind him? This will be an interesting duo to watch throughout the year...;-)

I am very disappointed that the broadcast is being done through Speed channel. David Hobbs is OK but does not have the insights of Martin Brundle and James Allen. Looks like the contract is for some time. :(

Guest Starman

I agree... they do suck as commentaters. Martin Brundle would never have missed the fact that Schumi's last pit stop included fuel in order to compensate for the weight of the barge boards being removed.

Guest Pat Reid

I do believe the commentators were used to calling a Nascar event. :P

It took me about 30 seconds to ask myself who these amatuers were, before I noticed that the feed was from Speed Channel. Hopefully they will improve.

David Hobbs has a lot of experience as a driver but not in F1. Brundle of course has driven for a number of F1 teams and really knows the ins and outs. He also is (was?) manager for some of DC's F1 business matters. This broadcast does not have access to a reporter in the pits as does the Brundle/Allen feed. Looks like TSN have gone elsewhere for their broadcast cover. Too bad it is a large step backwards.

Hey Starman, I just fired off a question to TSN via their Web site asking if Speedvision was it for the rest of the season's coverage and offering my opinion on the commentary.
I was going to say that it was barely better than Brian Williams but thought that was a bit mean :)
I have a nasty feeling that they have signed for the season. Any ideas how to connect to ITV's feed such as satellite feed or internet. I just got a new graphics card that will do TV (if I read the manual)

Archived