What is the REAL deal with Cathay?

Say Altitude

Has the pilot union lifted the new-hire ban or not? I know they are hiring b/c I've got acquaintances on their way to JFK and YVR for interviews but I can't get a straight answer on whether or not the ban has been lifted. Some have said yes, others no, others say soon.

Anybody have the right answer?

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Cathay is looking for Direct Entry F/Os for the freighter fleet and Direct Entry S/Os for the passenger fleet, as of 10 Mar 2003 (openings and POCs were posted on a military board, don't know about their site).

Guest HardRock

The ban is definitely still in force. As it was said earlier, it may not be very effective on some people, although, never being able to join an IFALPA affiliated union, for the rest of your life, usually scares most people from N.A. It seems in the last few weeks, the wheels have started turning again, so possibly the end is near....

This is nothing but a “Typical sick North American attitude with their union B/S.

If there were thousand opportunities in the market to choose from, I could understand if one would respect the ban. But when today being employed is an honor let alone having a flying position, I don’t think HKAOA has any rights of closing the doors on a life time dream.

Do you think the remaining pilots at Cathay refused the upgrades due to the missing pilots?

NO WAY.

So why should I?

Beside, knowing the performance and effectiveness of the Union, I don’t really crave for their protection any way.

And yes, I will go to Cathay when the time comes.

And so should you.

There are a couple of Cathay types here so I'll let them address your points.

What I'd like to say is that you're part of the lower bar crowd. You're probably incapable of finding a long term career prospect and instead will spend your life bouncing around from carrier to carrier. I'd almost bet that you're a landed immigrant as well. When it's all over for you it'll be the unions that are at fault though, right?

Personally, no! The existance of her office, perhaps.

With some immigrants I do have a problem. For example, the Indian gal that used to head the national womens group. She comes from a country that kills females at birth and yet has the nerve to come here and tell us how bad we are. Why didn't she stay in India and fight for a guarantee of life for females?

Another would be the british dude that was protesting (violently) at Queens park in the name of the homeless. Why doesn't he fix problems in his native land instead of coming here just to raise hell?

And the guy I was critical of...he attacked north american ways first. That suggested to me that he was just another foreigner here to take advantage of our system and when it didn't serve his purpose he turns on his host and bites. He can take a hike!

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

The immigration system in your fair land by-and-large works fairly well, especially in light of the recent tightening up of the criteria. Unfortunately, thanks to the likes of Caplan, Coderre et al, the refugee system is greatly abused and has become a source of employment for a large number of shysters for whom chasing ambulances is too strenuous. When Zundel can demand refugee status because he'll be "persecuted" by the Germans who want him for hate crimes...This is the system that needs to be changed.

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Not entirely, I hold dual citizenship and with the recent changes in my ancestral homeland have applied for a third. Now if I could only get a treaty card.

Guest Marion Vanderlubbe

Saves on visas, easier to travel, easier to do contract work, easier to take courses at certain schools, no entry/exit time or location limitations, retirement options, taxation issues, you get the idea.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.