You entrenched YYZ AC types...

Tango Niner

...must love the Leafs acquisition of Gilmour! (Well, what did you THINK I was going to talk about??) ;-) Housley too... they're really stocking up for the playoffs.

Think they can take YOW?

BWT (Brainwashed WestJet Type)

P.S. I should be a Flames fan... but it's just too darned hard. Go Canucks!!

Hey BWT,

I may have been brave enough to comment on Air Canada's future, but to call the Stanley Cup Playoffs? Now that's foolhardy. Still, the temptation is irresistable... :)

Housley and Gilmore are aging warriors, to say the least. Their skills were amazing in their day, but ya gotta think that the legs just aren't there anymore. At this point I'd expect them to have back-up roles, to brace the locker-room, and to add depth and character to the bench. Their acquisition definitely can't hurt them against YOW, but I don't see it turning the tide yet.

While it's possible, I don't see a YOW-YYZ matchup in the first round, and maybe not it the second, either. This matchup will depend heavily on injuries and strength left after any previous rounds they play. In that area, Ottawa may have the edge because their wicked offensive-defensive spread has the potential to dispatch opponents quickly, leaving them in better shape to deal with Toronto. Toughness, as always in the playoffs, will be key. Toronto does have that for sure, and Gilmore only adds to that area. He's a fireplug with a V8 for a heart.

IF the matchup ever happens, I'd give a modest edge to Ottawa. If the playoffs started tomorrow, I'd say 5-6 games. There's still some hockey to be played though, and anything could happen. Let's do this again at the start of playoffs!

Now, about those Canucks. The best team I've seen them put on the ice in 20 years. No doubt about that. Unfortunately, they only have one outstanding offensive line, and one line never, ever wins the playoffs. They are too easy to neutralize. Winning the division, let alone winning the Stanley Cup, will take a (so far) unprecedented contribution from secondary lines. Cloutier will also have to rise to the occasion, as will the blue line. At this time, I can see the Canucks getting past everyone in the Western Conference except for Dallas. On numbers you have to give it the Texans, but this is the playoffs, after all, and regular season numbers often count for little in the preliminary rounds. But man, that Dallas defense! Stingy or what? And if he stays healthy, Modano is an amazing money player at the front of a powerful offense. I wouldn't like to bet against them, is what I'm saying.

neo

I agree with you about the Canucks. Great regular season team but not a lot of depth, and precious little playoff experience. Not to mention some viciously good Western teams to face enroute to the Cup. Don't like their chances.

As for Housley / Gilmour in YYZ... you can't deny that the locker room leadership role can be HUGE in the playoffs. Just having those guys around is going to pump everybody up.

Yes, let's revisit the situation come April!
T9 / BWT

Archived