Fly for Free

Guest WA777

Guest WA777

You have to wonder these days just where we're all headed?.... the challenges facing each and every airline employee are unprecedented. What began as a wonderful career for most of us has been dealt some of the severest setbacks ever during the last few years. Working conditions and wages are under attack from all sides and what has been the traditional airline business plan seems to be broken...Meanwhile the discounters are claiming victory with their vision of the future, all the while setting their own employees up to do a lot more for a lot less. I have been lucky enough to have had a resonably long career but unfortunately age is catching up and I will soon be stepping aside... However I feel for the "young guns" just starting out because fortunately or unfortunately we all share one thing in common....we absolutely LOVE what we do...and management at EVERY airline knows it.....

In a few years perhaps they will be able to convince you that in order for the company to be profitable, you should fly for free.....and somebody probably will.....

Southwest FAs Under Pressure

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/03/12/southwest.attendants.ap/index.html

"you see pilots going to BA and Virgin with 1000 hours total time and making okay money."

Don't they need an ATP?

"So why should they make more than McDonalds workers if the true qualifications are so low?"

They aren't low. It's called an ATP. IMO the requirements to obtain an ATP should be increased. A university degree in the fields generally available at those institutions is more or less useless in the development of a pilot.

"You are a little confused on how to keep wages high. You don't look for the minimum required skill level for the trade, but rather look for the most obstacles you can place in between the candidate and the ultimate licence. The greater the obstacles, the higher the wage."

Sorry but, I'm not confused and I agree with you in principle. I'm however, not of the opinion that a U degee is the way to go. IMO the creation of technical challenges appropriate to and necessary for the attainment of an ATP will do the job.

Guest Labtec

Defcon: Better yet, a university degree and those technical qualifications to which you allude.

If you don't have a university degree you don't have to feel inadequate. You're in and that won't change. Law used to be like aviation. It was an apprenticeship back in the 1940's. The lawyers got wise and added post secondary education as a requirement. Now, to be competitive you must have an undergrad degree, a law degree, and a year of articling under your belt, you must take the Bar admissions course and pass the Bar exams in the province where you seek to practice. In short, you could practice law with a lot less than is required but lawyers are smart, and pilots? well I'll leave that for others to decide.

Let's go a little further then. Require an undergrad degree in the science and or business programs and create an approved program whereby an ATP becomes a Masters level equivalent?

"its not worth having in the end if you don't have your union to protect your wage"

I agree with your post entirely and will make comment on your statement above.

If pilots really got their act together they'd create a professional association with mandatory membership for ATP's wishing to practice? in Canada.

It'll come in another life though as we're all too busy racing to the bottom of the slime pit!

Guest Komodd

Is it real to fly for free for guy with total flight hours 11000,including lot of time as PIC on heavy jet? Now he is flying as a co-pilot on single - ,and twin-engine aircrafts-to get so-called Canadian experience! In rest of time he tie the nuts for very ridiculous money...

Archived