Lifestyle for wives in the UAE & area

Guest Ray Darr

Guest Ray Darr

(This is a reply to a post that may drop off the screen soon..regarding us Canucks living in the Mid-East)

- - -

Hi Nigol.

We had the same concerns (how the wife is "accepted" by the locals) before we moved over to the sandbox, but Bahrain and Dubai and the two more tolerant places for westerners. Abu Dhabi also. The way one is accepted elsewhere in the region starts to drop off...but rest assured, both Bahrain and Dubai are very easy for the wife. She can wear (almost) anything that they wear at home. Just play it smart and do the usual leaning-to-conservative (especially during Ramadan) and she will be totally fine.

In Bahrain only about 30% of the women are wearing traditional (head to toe) clothes, and in Dubai it drops to maybe 10%, if that.

These are very cosmopolitan places to live and you both will enjoy it. Just remember it is their playground and their rules, but they're quite tolerant to us "western" types!

See you on the freq's!

~R.D.

Guest Ray Darr

No email address that is public, sorry. I know there are tons of questions to ask about "the move" or interviews, but they are all well documented here and on PPRuNe.

I can tell you if you are headed to Gulf Air, we are hiring. NO direct left-seats, unfortunately, but the right-seaters seem to be content are are doing very well. Move across to left-seat 3 to 5 years-ish, maybe.

Hiring is taking place NOW, and interviews also. I posted a contact here for the Human Resources Manager, Chris Hall in our London office, a while back.

With the Gulf Air fleet DOUBLING over the next while, things look damn impressive. The "war" is a short-term blip...it's already budgeted for! A-340-500's on the way and more exciting stuff happening soon. "Stand by for new ATIS message" as they say...

Emirates is hiring also. They are announcing huge orders coming soon. I've heard that they may be throttling back on hiring Canadians (just another roumer, but they went through a recent Auzzie hiring spree that was throttled back, so who knows with all the recent Canadians they hired maybe it's just their decision to limit who comes from where.) As I said, Dubai is a good place to live too.

Qatar Airways is ALWAYS hiring. Ask yourself why, though...

Whever you end up, good luck, everyone.

Guest Ray Darr

As of now, Gulf Air is hiring only those that are rated, and since everyone starts in the A-320, you must hold an A-320 Rating. You'll be based in Bahrain.

The 767 fleet is hiring too...same story..B757/77 ratings a must. Base will be Abu Dhabi, in the UAE.

There is roumers that non-rated BUT JET EXPERIENCED crew may have a chance. The plan is to have so much deducted from the paycheque. Not my plan...I'm just the messenger.

Good luck to everyone.

Guest Ray Darr

As of now, Gulf Air is hiring only those that are rated, and since everyone starts in the A-320, you must hold an A-320 Rating. You'll be based in Bahrain.

The 767 fleet is hiring too...same story..B757/767 ratings a must. Base will be Abu Dhabi, in the UAE.

There is roumers that non-rated BUT JET EXPERIENCED crew may have a chance. The plan is to have so much deducted from the paycheque. Not my plan...I'm just the messenger. Contact the company for more info.

Good luck to everyone.

Guest Runner

Don't know if this has been answered previously, but does Gulf Air accept pilots on leave from their previous jobs, or are they looking for you to stay permanently,ie Emirates?

Thanks

Guest b52er

Runner;
I know that you have asked a question and someone I suppose will answer that question for you. However, solicited or not, I am only stating an opinion and your question has prompted me to reply.
Why would a company, especially in these trying times for all airlines, be remotely interested in anyone applying for a position full well knowing that you will return to your current employer at some time. Unless of course it is specific requirements, IE: upstart carrier ect.
Training costs, upgrade expenses ect. are nothing that any company can anylonger afford not to consider. At WJ, If you are hired, the hiring committee asks you to forward your letter of resignation to your present employer, and then sends a copy of that same letter on your behalf once you are hired as I understand it. Now this is only one company, but then again, could you provide me with any other logic as to why you would be considered by any airline in todays environment on a leave of absence?

Thanks

Guest Runner

The rest of the world is not Westjet. Many companies the world over accept contract pilots. Particularily in Asia, but elsewhere as well, many countries do not even ALLOW their companies to hire permanent ex-pats. They ONLY hire on a contract basis.

I am not familiar with the employment situation at Gulf Air. That is why the question was asked.

Guest b52er

Runner;
I am fully aware that the rest of the world is WestJet. I basically am asking you why any airline would want to hire one on a leave? I am aware that many do, as I once many years ago, worked on a contract. But today.........I'm not sure why they would be remotely interested in "one on a leave". Can you explain that?

Guest Runner

OK I just don't understand your post. There exist at this very moment many airlines the world over who hire contract pilots. They don't care if you are on a leave, quit or whatever. All they care about is that you will work for them for the particular time period they are looking for and that you are rated for the position they are offering. I am simply enquiring to anyone who may know if Gulf Air is in this category.

Is that clear enough for you?

Guest b52er

Runner;
I am fully aware that the rest of the world is not WestJet. I am also fully aware that contract pilots are welcomed in many areas of the world. In fact, I was on one years ago. However, I reiterate, why would they be interested in someone for a contract position who is currently on a leave? There are many pilots out there who do not have employment that would gladly accept a contract, who are not on a leave. You seem to suggest that one should always have his cake and eat it too. Please correct me if my assumption is incorrect, but really.......

Guest olddakboy

but really....???

but really yourself....

there are many slots to fit into .... and many shapes around....

methinks the Westjet ideal may have sunk a bit far into your ideals...

live and let live...

old dak boy..(old B-18, DC-4, DC-8, Lear, CV-580, A-320/330/340 etc boy....

Guest Ray Darr

G'day Runner.

I can't speak for Gulf Air hiring rules NOW, but I do know you will sign an initial three-year contract. If GF lets you join based on the fact you will stay for the duration, then you'd likely be welcome. I know we are asking the candidates if they would leave if recalled...food for thought. And remember, the right seat is the seat that you are hired into. Knowing that ahead of time, you will enjoy life in Bahrain. It beats the heck out of Doha (where Qatar Airways has a revolving-door hiring program...check them out). YES, there may be those that may like Doha, but the majority that has been in both places agree BAH is better all around. I'm not flogging Doha...just check before you leap anywhere here though. There hiring is so ongoing it just makes you go "hmmm". Maybe they have things you might prefer. It's all personal taste. I can tell you that Gulf Air is a class operation and you will be impressed by things here. YES, as I have said before, there are the usual things to bitch about, but things look pretty good here.

Once again, best of luck to all. Interesting times on the horizon.

~R.D.

Guest George

I've checked out PPRUNE and other places and am very confused about starting pay at Gulf Air. Can u comment?

Also, can u give e thumbnail sketch of the recruiting process at Gulf Air, what's involved, where, how long it takes...

Guest Ray Darr

The pay is TAX FREE, but I am not sure of the exact new-hire. Something like 4,000 Canadian plus (expenses, technical, housing, transport, etc etc...). TAX FREE remember.

Those joining us that were earning Captain pay have no trouble financially from those I have spoken to, even if they are now F/O's.

Recruiting starts with emailing Chris Hall in the London office (he is the Manager, Human Resources). Interviews are happening in Bahrain almost daily. They (London or Bahrain itself) don't turn away phone calls, either.

Good luck. OK folks, that about does it. I hope the things I've mentioned help out a few of you. Now, I have a vacation to enjoy (and some sunglasses to buy...see below!), so that's all for now.

Cheers, and see you in Sherlock Holmes over there for a pint!

~R.D.

Guest b52er

Oh....I see.......What's mine is mine and what could be yours is also mine. I assume your a liberal supporter as well! Been protected far too long out there old fella!
Push aside.........

b523er: I'm missing something here.

Runner asks what appears to be a simple question. We have no idea whether it applies to his situation or that of a friend. You then stand on his kitchen table and micturate into his wheaties bowl.

You disparage his quite civil reply. When olddakboy tries to introduce a modicum of conciliation into the discussion, you turn in midstream (so to speak) and commence to wet down HIS cornflakes.

I know several folks who fly for WestJet and none of them have the attitude which you display here....you are either sailing under false colours and do NOT work for WJ or you managed to put on a (;>0) face during your interviews and snowed everybody; even those who recommended you.

What IS your problem?

Sincerely

John

Guest sleveen

checked their website it was adverstising for management positions for a new regional airline , do you know anything about that, thanks in advance ..

Guest FOXBAT

Qatar Airways is getting some bad press, can someone elaborate for those of us considering going through the hiring process there.

Archived