PRODUCTIVITY

Guest Capt HAPPY

Guest Capt HAPPY

Air Canada is suffering appalling financial challenges at all levels yet remarkably their pilots continue to express their incessant criticism of the working conditions, wages and benefits at WJA.

It is in large part because of their (our) productivity and unique remuneration package that WestJet is profitable.

I submit the following numbers…

For 2002, I logged 1054 hours of flying (I believe AC calls that "hard time"). This cost the company 70K + 14K (ESP) + 4.5K per diem. (an additional 17K came in profit sharing)

The comparable position (A320 Capt) flies 450-540 hours and costs the company 155-205K + 6K per diem.

AC = HALF THE HOURS FOR TWICE THE COST.

AND, you might think that with no credit for deadheading or long duty days, we’re working our &sses off. Not so… with vacation days, I averaged 16.8 days OFF per month. And mmmmmmm those options!!!

So criticize our ties or our jokes, but not our productivity, wages, or great contentment working this company.

Good luck with the unions... Here's hoping you get out of the red soon.

Guest Capt HAPPY

Come on now, 75 hours credit rarely means a hard 75 hours in the logbook. Credit for duty time, deadheading, sim training, etc is included.
I know! ...I've read my Dad's logbook.

Guest Capt HAPPY

Your right WA777 the winds of change are in the air. As much as I and most of my collegues are quite content remaining exactly where we are, there are those above our pay grade that are determined to make WJA "THE" dominant carrier coast to coast. They are the same people responsible for our present success and there's no reason to believe otherwise. Keep in mind, WJA still only has 22% of the domestic market.
Our charter flights will double this year. And who's to say that 5 or 10 years from now we won't have B-777's and start the low-cost ops overseas.
I can hear the laughs through the monitor but hell, none of us 5 years ago could ever have dreamed of the present growth and position now.
WA777 - You keep saying it won't last. You sound too much like my exwife pleading after years of disdain, "I'll change, I promise I'll change!"
THEY never do and neither will AC!.

Guest Capt HAPPY

Sadly, You simply don't get it!
If I knew being a S*%t would allow me to live this well, I would have 'spread my wings' much sooner than I did.

Capt HappyPills,

don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Well you better have a closer look at daddy's logbook, buddy, cause AC pilots don't get credit for sims....they are done on a pilot's days off....

but nice try though....

The thing I find ominous for WJ are the mistaken belief that you are immune to the things that affect every major airline in the world. If you are planning on growing into a big airline you will ultimately have to deal with all those issues.... higher costs, fuel, war, politics, foreign currencies etc. etc. etc.....Oh and by the way in case you haven't noticed, your mythical inspiration SOUTHWEST has had some problems of late....just like everyone else.....

Guest Capt HAPPY

Yes I am on the 700. With 14 700's soon to be 24 by year end and 19 200's the scheds are evolving rapidly.
Presently my sched can be broken down as follows:
20% >4 hours (charters, YZ-VR, OW-YC...)
40% 2.5-4 (YC-HM/YZ...)
40% <2 (VR-YC,HM-QT,...)
I've heard only the odd grumble about 200 vs 700 but rather than sched issues, usually it's about the desire to fly glass vs dials. Also, we hear very little of the senior/junior issue -- DOH is recorded for upgrade and layoff purposes only. For EVERYTHING else, we are all the same "number". The only option to bid is to request DAYS OFF - it makes the scheduling remarkably easier and generally satisfies the entire pilot group (345).

Archived