AME career info?

Guest ACav8r

Guest ACav8r

Hi folks.....my younger brother has finished the small engine program up in North Bay at Cannadore College. He is thinking of taking the 2 yr College program for AME's.

What kind of work can he expect when he's finished?

How does the hiring look in the next few years.

Myself being on the pilot side of things.....our hiring is very cyclical in nature.....is the AME industry similar?

thanks for any replies,

ACav8r

Howdy ACav8r...

Hiring is almost constant (barring any unforeseen horrors such as we saw last September), There's a shortage of our kind. But that shortage exists for good reason. We're treated like crap, give up any hope of anything resembling a normal life, get no respect from anyone (with the possible exception of a few pilots who know better), we're paid a paltry pittance (especially in the beginning), and the only rewards available come only to those of us who happen to love playing with flying machines.

If he's really not sure it's what he wants, try to steer him clear... Otherwise, if he's hopelessly enamored with airplanes, he'll do ok. Work is plentiful. And, there is always the hope that we might be able to fix the other stuff one day. ;) ...and you do get to fiddle with some fine machines.

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest 78 Spitfire

Hi all, I've just turned the big 4 0, on the two year wait list to get into BCIT's AME program, presently work at Vancouver General hospital(until restructuring kills my job), have a somewhat past in mechanics(first year auto, worked on LOT'S of cars), and working as an AME sounded exciting and romantic. After all the posts I've read, and talked to a handful of guys, they've soured me on it.
How could a career that sounds so cool be crap?

It's a shame...

Ron
Vancouver

Guest jettech

I have been in aviation for 15 years. I have seen and done some pretty amazing stuff. Things that other people can't even imagine. If you truely love aircraft you will enjoy this trade even through all the bad times. I will always be in aviation because I can always keep my eyes open for somewhere sweeter when thing get too sour.( I'm lucky enough to not be totally reliant on a large paycheck ie: no kids,large mortgage) Good luck!!:)

Guest jettech

Ron- I have been in aviation for 15 years. I have seen and done some pretty amazing stuff. Things that most people can't even imagine. If you truely love aircraft you will enjoy this trade even through the bad times. This is a very up and down industry and if you are prepared for that you won't have any trouble making a good living at it.I will always be in aviation because I can keep my eyes open for someplace sweeter when things get too sour. ( I am not relying on a big paycheck because I have no kids or large mortgage)Good luck!!:)

Guest tsmech

Ron

Don't let all the sour grapes ruin your desire to work in this industry. I've been at it for 27 years and still love it.. To my way of thinking, those that are not happy should get a different job.. My job is great, I've helped along many apprentices over the years who have become excellant Engineers and they love their jobs too..

Like every other career, there are good points and bad points but if you love airplanes and like tinkering with things, this is the place to be. I too am in YVR so if I can help send me an email..

Good luck
Dale

The other guys are right Ron... If you do love airplanes then it can be worth the pains... There is, after all, some reason so many of us have stuck with it.

But if you have no particular fascination with aircraft, and you're looking for a well paying glory job, you'd do well to steer clear of airports. :)

Cheers,

Mitch

Spitfire

One thing you should keep in mind while making your decision, is that while alot us may B1tch and moan about our jobs :( very few if anyone would consider leaving :D

Best of luck, Brett

For the first ten years or so the shifts are horrible,usually steady mids,you have to work in some crappy weather,the starting pay is not that great,you will see a lot of aids,(aviation induced divorce syndrome),brutal politics from not only the government but your union,if it is the IAM,but you know what,I am still amazed every time I see one of those pieces of high speed aluminum rotate and fly off,I can not see myself doing anything else.

Guest tsmech

Robert

What if you don't work for AC.. There are other jobs out there.. Most of which do not require steady mids...

Guest 78 Spitfire

Thanks, all...
Good to hear some positive stuff...
I'd love to be able to find a company that could take me on as a helper while I wait for the course.I too, don't need a really big paycheck, I make $20/hr now, and do alright on it. I'm more interested in being happy at my job.
tsmech, I just may take you up on the email... thanks again!

Ron

Guest 78 Spitfire

So, can anyone give me any info on working for companies like ACRO, or MTU? I realize it would mainly be turbine overhauls, but probably day shift, and weekends off(took a tour of ACRO last fall, and I've driven past in evenings and weekends, and looks shut down). How about Cascade?
Also, are there possibilities of getting hired on as a grunt anywhere, and eventually getting apprenticed, or sponsored for your ame ticket?

Ron

Guest spanner

Some points you might want to consider.

1) Working for MTU or ACRO doing engine overhaul will not satisfy the req's for an AME license, although that type of work may be quite interesting. You have to work on complete aircraft for at least part of your apprenticeship.
2) I would say at least 80% of the work is done at night; more like 95% if you work for an airline.
3) It is an industry where long hours and high stress are all too common. Think about that. You have to be able to take the long hours and stress if you're going to succeed. This applies more if you work for an operator as opposed to an engine service provider(MTU or Acro) or a heavy maint shop(ie Cascade).

4) If you work for a small charter operator as opposed to an airline, dayshift will be available but the pay and benefits will be inferior to say the least. Also, most of the equip will be old, and sometimes "well worn" Small operators are quite cheap with parts and materials.

5) It will take at least 3 or 4 yrs to reach the wage you're making now. Apprentices start between $12 and $14 per hour.

6) and finally, don't do this unless you have a serious and specific interest in aviation and airplanes. It's not for the faint of heart.

7) If you're going to go back to school for 2 yrs, there is better avail than BCIT. For one, there is Stevenson technical training in Manitoba - they offer an approved course in three month modules. This enables you to experience the industry before investing the time in training.

Good Luck.

Guest 78 Spitfire

So I take you guys work for the one of the big guys.
I'm wondering if it's just better to go with the 10 mon th course of turbine rebuilding and forsake the AME licensing. Engines, and helicopters interest me, but I guess replacing components on turbines everyday would get kind of boring, testing them in the run up room would be fun, though...

Ron

It is more fun when you get to test them on wing.
Whether you wish to aquire your AME is a choice you will have to make,but having it opens a lot more doors for you

• 1 month later...
Guest G-Man

Hey Bud It may be a rumour but it came from the horses mouth (Base Manager) in YWG, they are looking for 140 personel, aparently with the loss of AWA, YWG is busting at the seems with A320 H2's and A319 H1's and Aso the possiblities of 737 A chks. And even though YWG lost the A320 A-Chks to Halifax and Calgary, the baby bus hasn't quite been the same.. So as the local card reader might foretell, they might be back to YWG where they belong..

Archived