Buttonville to close

Specs

Wow. I remember like it was yesterday, our Air Atlantic (Canadia<n Partner) flying our Dash 8's into CYKZ daily from Ottawa and Montreal. Overnights at the Markham Suites. Did that for nearly two years, as I recall, until cancelled by Canadia<n due the fact that we were funneling at least a full 737 of passengers away from CYYZ daily. I also recall this was the field used by Seneca College for their flight training. These memories are nearly 30 years old!

Wouldn't it something to hold a gathering there to send off YKZ in style?  They'd need the whole airfiled to make room for everyone who has passed through there on their aviation journey.

I remember being there when Mike passed away and the discussion started, what would his family do with the airfield.  Decades have passed with this uncertainty.  Still, it'll be a sad day when Buttonville ceases operations.

Edited by Vsplat

That airport was a major factor in Markham becoming the community it is today - affluent tech hub.  Once they became self sustaining though the value of the place seems to lessen.  Same with the Toronto Island Airport.  It was a major asset in rebuilding the city as a financial centre and developing the waterfront.  Now it's viewed more as a nuisance than anything else. 

6 hours ago, Specs said:

That airport was a major factor in Markham becoming the community it is today - affluent tech hub.  Once they became self sustaining though the value of the place seems to lessen.  Same with the Toronto Island Airport.  It was a major asset in rebuilding the city as a financial centre and developing the waterfront.  Now it's viewed more as a nuisance than anything else. 

A nice summation of aviation in Canada in general.  Essential when needed, something to be ignored and neglected otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1