Mech's only IAM local won't fly

Guest Gadgeteer

Guest Gadgeteer

I have my doubts the IAM will ever allow the mechanics to have a 'Mech's only local'.

If we had a 'Mech's only local', the IAM could not stop us from leaving the IAM's grip. The mechanics could easily vote themselves out of the IAM. Therefore, it is in the IAM best interest to keep us in the current locals.

Just a thought.

Guest Canmech

Hi Gadgeteer,

You stated;...'I have my doubts the IAM will ever allow the mechanics to have a 'Mech's only local'.

Having your own local does not necessarily accomplish what we are trying to achieve. Ron Fontaine offered us at CDN our own local when we petitioned for separate bargaining in Dec 98.All that meant was the mechanics would have independent meetings at the lodge but would negotiate collectively with the rest of the bargaining unit.Our own certification to achieve separate bargaining to negotiate solely on our own is what we want.The I.A.M. however will stop at nothing to prevent this from happening for the reasons you have stated. IMHO ! Later Canmech!

Guest GRNDCHKOK

I was under the impression we lived in a free society/country.As profession aircraft engineers,we should have a professional body as our representative just like the teachers union or the pilots union or the nurses union or the doctors union or the dental technicians union. Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Union, specifically for the purpose.It won't be until then that the AME position will be held in a little higher esteem and every thing else that goes along with it ie. higher salaries,a bigger and better slice of the pie.

Archived