Are Massive Tax Hikes Coming ?

PHENOMENAL INTERVIEW !!!

Did Justin Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh form their coalition pact to avoid a fiscal collapse? 

Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre. 

Back in September 2020, Pierre predicted on this show that Canada’s fiscal situation was mathematically impossible and heading towards a collapse. He said that Trudeau desperately needed a majority government to hide his scandal and to raise taxes to afford his COVID spending binge. 

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

....that Canada’s fiscal situation was mathematically impossible and heading towards a collapse.

I can't imagine how anyone would think that what we're doing (on a variety of fronts) is even remotely sustainable. 

Throw in Paris Accord targets (the economic effects of Covid weren't enough BTW... we need more) and collapse is pretty much assured.

Given that our landmass scrubs 20% more carbon than we produce, when faced with choosing between total collapse and accord target failure, I think we'll plant a bunch of trees and proclaim ourselves carbon neutral. 70 percenters will ridicule that now but in 13 years it will be sold as being their idea all along. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I am to be a carbon neutral Canadian I am going to heat with oil and drive a big diesel. Perhaps run the AC with the windows open and same with the heat in winter.  Gotta strive for neutral so increase my footprint.

1 hour ago, boestar said:

Gotta strive for neutral so increase my footprint.

The beauty here is that there's no need to actively pursue the goal, maintain current heading and altitude while simply complying with the existing speed limit rules. This is already happening on an incremental basis and it will take care of itself. It only matters what can be declared as "true" 13 years from now.

The enabling objectives between now and then are mostly fluff (like the carbon tax) because people want to see an effort... but not too much effort and certainly nothing that comes as a direct cost to them.

Planting trees is the easy out here. I would promise lots of action on diverse fronts with timelines that are constantly modified and enhanced whilst knowing full well that the plan was always to plant trees and claim victory by way of achieving neutrality. 

The counter to my observation (about the plan) is simply to point out that developed nations have a duty to lower emissions and that we shouldn't be relying on our land mass to deter us from the hard work ahead. That talking point will start to change between 11.5 and 12 years  from now as the race toward neutrality is being won and we stand on the verge of a glorious victory. 

At least that's what I'd do....

Edited by Wolfhunter

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, boestar said:

drive a big diesel

What you say may apply to a diesel produced even 5 years ago and earlier, but what most people don’t realize any new diesel produced in the last several years use less fuel than an F-150. I drive a new F-250 diesel. I get 11kms/100 on the highway driving around 110, and average around 13.5 overall, city and hwy.  On top of that with the introduction of DEF fluid, you could literally put your face in front of the exhaust and no diesel smell, or smoke.

Edited by Jaydee

Clearly I'm not getting this.

Why are people who profess to be in favour of a carbon tax so worried about it being revenue neutral when it should be anything but. It should do two things IMO, serve as a deterrent to consumption and provide a managed fund for inducements (subsidies) to make the world a greener place.

In a nutshell, this is my problem with progressives. Suck it up, pay your damn bills and get on with the grunt.

Or acknowledge that you aren't up to the task and remain silent. Put up or shut up, pick one and just do it. Where is the commitment from that vocal and opinionated 70 percent group? 

They're all talk, no action, no substance, no commitment, no fire in the belly. This is the exclusive domain of weak sister seasonal gym goers (in full Lululemon regalia) between 2 Jan and 15 Feb. They're a distant memory now but like Cicada beetles, they will be out in force next year and making all kinds of noise. 

Time to grow up IMO. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The issue with it that it is nothing more than a cash grab and the money will never be used for anything related to carbon except maybe burning more jet fuel to go on vacation for the PM et al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1