Russia Invades Ukraine

Trudeau said the federal government will begin "urgently" issuing travel documents to Canadians, permanent residents and their immediate families.

Ottawa also will prioritize immigration applicants from Ukraine during the crisis.

But these are the wrong kind of immigrants, they will arrive, learn the language, and work.

They won't be dependant on the government to supply them everything, and they won't vote for a dictator.

Trudeau will never allow many of these undesirables in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last Updated: 25th February, 2022 22:19 IST

Russia Warns Sweden & Finland Of 'detrimental Consequences' If They Seek To Join NATO

Even as Russia continues its audacious invasion against Ukraine, it has now threatened Sweden and Finland and warned the two countries against joining NATO.

Even as Russia continues its audacious invasion against Ukraine, it has now threatened Sweden and Finland and warned the two countries against joining the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO). According to reports, Russian foreign ministry spokesperson avered that Sweden and Finland will face "detrimental consequences" if they join NATO. This comes after Russian President Vladimir Putin order the country's troops to invade its neighbor Ukraine. 

Russia warns Sweden & Finland of 'detrimental consequences' if they seek to join NATO (republicworld.com)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

Even as Russia continues its audacious invasion against Ukraine, it has now threatened Sweden and Finland and warned the two countries against joining NATO.

As I posted previously.  Putin was really smart in the timing of all this. We've got some of the weakest leaders of all time in charge of the western world right now.

• Like 1

Take THAT Putin ! !    🤪

Quebec Restaurant Removed “Poutine” From It’s Menu In Solidarity With Ukraine

"From now on, we are the inventor of cheese sauce fries," Le Roy Jucep wrote.

A Drummondville restaurant, Le Roy Jucep, which has prided itself as being the "inventor of the poutine," announced on their Facebook page on February 24 that they would officially be removing the word "poutine" from their menu and social media pages. 

The post indicated that their decision to remove the word "poutine" was directly linked to the current crisis in Ukraine, who was invaded by Russia on Thursday. 

The dish, which has become a staple in Quebec and throughout Canada, bears a similar name to that of Russian President Vladimir Putin — who has been criticized by many world leaders, including Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, who condemned the Russian leader in a tweet issued on February 23.

https://www.mtlblog.com/this-quebec-restaurant-removed-poutine-from-its-menu-in-solidarity-with-ukraine

Edited by Jaydee
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

Take THAT Putin ! !    🤪

Quebec Restaurant Removed “Poutine” From It’s Menu In Solidarity With Ukraine

"From now on, we are the inventor of cheese sauce fries," Le Roy Jucep wrote.

A Drummondville restaurant, Le Roy Jucep, which has prided itself as being the "inventor of the poutine," announced on their Facebook page on February 24 that they would officially be removing the word "poutine" from their menu and social media pages. 

OK, that's stupid.  Just like saying people shouldn't order a black coffee because it's offensive to black people to refer to coffee by it's colour.

SOUND Familiar ??  The Trud…errr Putin playbook. Anyone here speak Russian for verification?

Russian President Vladimir Putin released a scathing video on Twitter Friday after Russian forces began their campaign to capture the capital of Ukraine; calling his enemies “drug-addicted neo-Nazis” who use “families as human shields.”

1 hour ago, Falken said:

Seeker - I drink mine with milk, does that make me a white supremist?💀

You have to look deep into your soul for that answer.  Do you take milk because black coffee offends you in some way or because you prefer the taste?  This is not a trivial question.

From the WWW:

CAFÉ ORDERS CUSTOMERS TO STOP ASKING FOR BLACK COFFEE DUE TO RACISM COMPLAINTS

A café owner in Southend On Sea has been telling Southend News Network that he has been forced to ban customers asking for ‘black coffee’ after complaints were made from members of the public about racism at his establishment. 

Barry Starr has been in charge of Southend Beanz on the High Street since 2008, and his new menus and boards now refer to the hot beverage as ‘coffee without milk.’

He said: ‘Two officers from Southend Borough Council walked into the café last week and informed me that four complaints had been made by members of the public who objected to the term ‘black coffee’ because of racial undertones that are involved. I thought that it was a joke at first, but their facial expressions made it perfectly clear that this was no laughing matter.’

‘I jokingly asked if I should remove the sachets of brown sugar as well with the local Muslim population increasing in number, and they both agreed that it would be a ‘prudent decision.’

‘I was given some suggestions like ‘plain coffee’ and ‘raw coffee,’ but I think that I will have to stick with ‘coffee without milk’ for now. I was given seven days to comply with their recommendations to avoid a court appearance and a £5000 fine from Trading Standards.’

‘This is just a repeat of last year’s trouble when local eating disorder action groups formed a picket outside when I started serving skinny lattés – too many people seem to have a rod up their ass these days, hope I don’t get done for saying that as well.’

A spokesperson for Southend Borough Council said: ‘We have a duty to follow up every complaint made by members of the public, and on this occasion it was decided that a ‘soft touch’ approach was the most appropriate course of action without the need for legal action.’

‘All customers have the right to dine in local businesses without the threat of intimidation or offence from menu items that have been worded in an insensitive manner.’

Canada keeps airspace open to Russian airliners

Published Saturday, February 26, 2022 11:18AM EST

OTTAWA -- Russian airliners continue to fly through Canadian skies after several European countries shut their airspace to Russian carriers in response to Moscow's invasion of Ukraine — but Ottawa is keeping all options on the table.

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says in a statement that Canada’s airspace remains open to Russian airlines “at this time,” but that the department is actively monitoring the situation and working with the United States and other key allies.

Russia’s flagship carrier Aeroflot operates multiple flights per day through Canadian airspace en route to the United States and beyond.

Aerospace consultant Ross Aimer says the passage marks a critical route for the airline, and that Russia would almost certainly retaliate to flyover bans in kind.

On Thursday, the United Kingdom suspended Aeroflot’s foreign carrier permit, with Poland, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic following suit by closing their airspace to Russian planes.

Launched this week, Russia's large-scale invasion of Ukraine closed in on the capital of Kyiv on Saturday as troops struck the country from three sides.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 26, 2022.

4 minutes ago, Kargokings said:

Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says in a statement that Canada’s airspace remains open to Russian airlines “at this time,” but that the department is actively monitoring the situation and working with the United States and other key allies.

Translation:  Algebra and True Lies have no clue what to do so they are waiting for the big kids to tell them.

Christian Leuprecht: Canada enables Russia by opposing pipelines and protecting money launderers

Special to National Post  18 hrs ago

My grandfather had a stern warning: Never trust the Russians. In that regard, Putin has long proven himself as reliable as he is predictable.

Having spent months painting himself into a corner, Putin left himself with no option but to run roughshod over the most basic principles of the post-Second World War international rules-based order: respect for territorial integrity and political sovereignty without recourse to violent inter-state coercion to redraw boundaries. The aim of these principles has been to avoid a repeat of the human, political, economic and military calamity of the new Thirty Years’ War, 1914-1945.

Evidently Putin believes that this order does not serve Russia’s interests: rather than revise it, he is now bent on destroying it altogether. Given the appeal of Western democratic freedom and prosperity over Putin’s autocracy, he can only prevail through brute force where might is right. European allies that naively spent years hedging on diplomacy with Russia are now literally standing in front of a heap of rubble. Were the Western model to mature in Ukraine, it would pose an existential threat to Putin and his regime insofar as it would offer an alternative to the mismanagement of the Russian state, economy and society by Putin and his kleptocratic coterie.

President Biden had already warned that direct contact between Russian and U.S. (and, by that logic, NATO) troops could spark a Third World War. The West’s only viable response, then, is political, economic and military containment.

In smug Canadian fashion, the federal government announced with great fanfare that it was following suit in levelling sanctions against parts of the Russian regime, its enablers and henchmen. The problem is that Canada’s relations with Russia are already so limited, this announcement is largely performative. But if the federal government wants to get serious about effective containment, there are options at its disposal.

A week ago, the federal government was quick to invoke emergency measures to stem problematic financial flows. While those measures applied to resources associated with the unlawful occupation in Ottawa, it was business as usual for organized criminals. If Canada’s federal government were to adopt Australian-style foreign interference legislation and UK-style Unexplained Wealth Orders, it could actually start to go after dirty Russian money that has long sloshed around in Toronto’s real estate markets. As the Cullen Commission of Inquiry into Money Laundering in British Columbia is showing, Canada’s financial and privacy laws are world class at protecting criminals and the ultra-rich at the expense of ordinary Canadians.

The federal government could also have an honest conversation with Canadians about gas pipelines. Putin’s war chest is plenished by Canada’s European allies that are procuring natural gas from Russia. Canada has ample supply of natural gas to liquify and export. Yet, Canada lags way behind in that game because it naively has no sense for geopolitics. Make no mistake: Canadians who oppose construction of the Coastal Gaslink pipeline from Alberta to British Columbia, and pipeline capacity to enable liquified natural gas exports from Canada’s East Coast to Europe, are aiding, abetting, and condoning Putin’s behaviour. Those same Canadians are happy to oppose pipelines to sell Canada’s own oil across the continent and the world because they would rather fill their gas tanks with petrol derived from human-rights abusing regimes in the Middle East. Canadians’ cognitive dissonance on pipelines runs counter to our country’s geostrategic interests. This inadvertent complicity of Putin’s thuggery is the case in point.

Canada has a collective-defence obligation to its NATO member allies to ensure Russia’s tanks do not keep rolling beyond Ukraine, now or in the future. The federal government talks a good talk about deterring Russia, but it has little credibility in following through. By way of example, (thus far) Canada has no fighter jet capable of defeating Russian air defences. Canada effectively supports and contributes to European missile defence yet is pretentious in refusing to join with the United States in ballistic missile defence of North America. Canada is effectively abrogating sovereign decision-making when it is unable to defend against a bad actor’s strategic nuclear or conventional assets.

The federal government did announce the deployment for more troops to shore up NATO’s northeastern flank and has put many more on standby to deploy. Canada’s longest and most-successful peacekeeping mission was the deployment of Canadian troops to Germany during the Cold War: to contain Soviet expansion. For over a century, Canada’s interests have manifest in a steadfast commitment to defend Europe from authoritarianism. Europe is Canada’s most important strategic relationship after the United States. The territorial integrity, political stability, economic prosperity, and social harmony of Europe are in Canada’s vital national interests. Canada and the world learned that the hard way during the first half of the twentieth century.

Domestic and international events of recent weeks are a reckoning for Canadian naiveté that has been long-time coming. We cannot trust the Russians; so, the premium we have to pay on our insurance policy has just gone up. Canada’s security, prosperity and democracy are at stake.

Christian Leuprecht is author of Intelligence as Democratic Statecraft. He is a professor at the Royal Military College and Queen’s University, and a senior fellow at the Macdonald Laurier Institute.

image.png

2 hours ago, Seeker said:

no clue what to do so they are waiting for the big kids to tell them.

I made the mistake of listening to the CBC for about a minute this morning while plowing a parking lot. There's a self inflicted PTSD inducing event if ever there was one eh?

In any case, the notion was that any criticism of NATO or suggestion that this was in any way self inflicted was misinformation and should be worthy of sanction. I immediately became aware of three important facts:

1. Progressives are dangerous;

2. CBC hasn't been keeping up with NATO for years: and

3. It's impossible to run over your own head with a plow truck and drive it at the same time.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Europe close to approving SWIFT, but Germany remains wary

Now why would that be?

I could put forward a theory here but CBC would consider it misinformation and worthy of sanction. They seem to think Putin never calculated the cost of sanctions here, he certainly did.

What he didn't do was factor the difficulty in swallowing and digesting a porcupine into his estimate of the situation. Winning here only gets porky into your tender little tummy. Digesting Porky is tougher than swallowing him.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Ukraine invasion: Kharkiv residents describe intense battle to defend city

By George Bowden in London & Viktoriia Zhuhan in Poland
BBC News

Ukrainian forces say they have repelled an attack on the country's second city Kharkiv after fierce clashes with Russian forces.

Regional governor Oleh Synehubov said the city was now rid of Russian troops - after street-to-street fighting.

Thousands spent the night in basements and shelters, with intense shelling described by one resident as "something like Star Wars above your head".

"The wave of the blast was so strong that my ears popped," another said.

A nine-storey residential tower was hit, emergency services said, killing an elderly woman while about 60 people survived after hiding in the basement.

Russian troops also blew up a natural gas pipeline nearby, according to a Ukrainian state communications agency.

Kharkiv residents who spoke to the BBC told of their fear and apprehension as the attack raged on, as well as their pride in Ukrainian forces and reservists in holding back Russian troops.

Just before an explosion in the Saltivka district, one woman said her neighbour was instructing their young children on what to do in the event of a blast.

"Listening to this was horrific, my hairs were standing on end at the thought that three-year-old children were having to be taught what to do during shelling," she said.

"Throughout the night one young girl kept waking up her mum. She'd sit up crying screaming: 'Mom, I'm scared, please save me, save me now.'

"She only calmed down by the morning after her mum had sat holding her all through the night."

The 34-year-old, who requested anonymity, added: "Right now, the offensive against the city is still going on. I hear the blasts all the time - even though I know Kharkiv is controlled by Ukraine, 100%."

IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
The Ukrainian military repelled Russian forces, with light vehicles destroyed in some parts of the city

For university professor Dmitry Shabanov, the fighting came uncomfortably close.

"Tanks were fighting only a few kilometres from our home, and the operation to counter some saboteurs that entered Kharkiv was just next to our yard," he said.

"We are staying in our house with a cellar, it's my wife and me, two sons who are seven and 11 years old, and my 80 year old mum. We keep the boys in the cellar most of the time," he added.

Maria Avdeev, another resident, said groups of Russian troops were eliminated "one by one" by the Ukrainian military.

"Also, a number of Russian soldiers and officers were captured, so they did not basically fight back, when they saw that they had no other option," she said.

Oleksii Svid, 30, managed to travel to buy food for his family and his pets, Kuzya the cat and Larry the dog, on Saturday but found supplies were running low.

Nonetheless, he said many local people remained resilient - with talk about how to prevent Russian troops from entering the city and ways to help the Ukrainian army.

"The main issue right now it to gain access to the food, as most shops don't have a way to refill stock of sugar, flour, dairy, and meet," he said. "There's also a shortage of fuel in gas stations in the city."

The BBC has verified a video on the Telegram messaging platform which shows Russian trucks driving into Kharkiv early on Sunday.

Another video verified by the BBC showed a group of Ukrainian soldiers taking cover behind a wall, while one launched a shoulder-fired missile.

In the north-eastern city of Okhtyrka, 100km (60 miles) from Kharkiv, the local governor said at least six Ukrainians - including a seven-year-old girl - had died as a result of a Russian attack on Friday.

A kindergarten and an orphanage were among the buildings reportedly hit, which Russia has denied.

The full extent of casualties in Ukraine is very hard to confirm. The country's human rights commissioner says 210 civilians have been killed.

So far the United Nations has recorded 64 confirmed civilian deaths and many more wounded, and says it expects the true number to be much higher.

Military deaths are also very hard to verify. The UN said by Saturday at least 134 Ukrainian military had been killed. Russia censors details of its casualties and so far only one death is confirmed. Ukraine says 4,300 Russian servicemen have so far died but even Ukrainian officials say those figures are not clear.

In other developments, as the Russian invasion neared the end of its fourth day:

• Russian President Vladimir Putin put the country's nuclear weapons on special alert, prompting condemnation by the US
  • Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky said he was willing to send a delegation to the Ukrainian-Belarusian border for talks with the Russians without preconditions
  • Thousands more Ukrainians travelled towards neighbouring countries to escape the war, with UN estimating refugee numbers have reached 368,000 and rising
  • Russia's central bank braced for economic turmoil after the EU, US and their allies announced the harshest financial measures imposed on Russia to date
  • Russian airliners turned round in mid-air as dozens of European nations banned flights from the country amid rising pressure on Moscow

• Thanks 1

New nuclear threat

Russia's invasion of Ukraine had looked very old-fashioned — columns of tanks, prisoners of war, bombed buildings. But now Russia and the West have wheeled out nuclear options — one literal, the other financial — although neither has actually been used.

• Why it matters: This isn't just about Ukraine anymore. It has turned into a full-blown confrontation between nuclear powers. If the conflict continues to escalate as quickly as it has in recent days, the unthinkable could become reality, Axios' Felix Salmon writes. 

🧠 Zoom out: Cutting Russia off from the international financial system has been referred to in recent days as "the nuclear option." Some of that has already happened, and the West has committed to even more: 

• Russia's largest banks are now unable to operate in the dollar-based financial system.
  • Today, Russia's Central Bank raised its key rate from 9.5% to 20% in a desperate attempt to prevent a run on banks.
  • Russian banks' ability to easily transact in dollars and euros will be severely hampered when they get removed from SWIFT, the financial-messaging system that undergirds nearly all international money transfers. (Axios SWIFT explainer)

Putin's response to the sanctions announcement — and to what he called "aggressive statements" from the West — was to put his nuclear forces into a "special regime of combat duty."

💡 This is the second time Putin has alluded to Russia's nuclear arsenal while effectively warning the West to back off, Axios World author Dave Lawler points out.

• In a statement at the onset of the invasion, Putin said anyone who tried to "hinder us" would face "such consequences that you have never encountered in your history."

Between the lines: Fear of a standoff between nuclear powers is a big part of the reason the U.S. and its NATO allies have been so adamant that they won't send troops to Ukraine.

FIRST READING: Forget the vodka; why isn’t Canada banning Russian oil?

Tristin Hopper  3 hrs ago
%7B© Provided by National Post A member of the Territorial Defence Forces of Ukraine stands guard at a checkpoint on the outskirts of Kyiv, Ukraine on February 27, 2022.

TOP STORY

Over the weekend, one of the most visible Canadian reactions to the Russian invasion of Ukraine was that provincially run liquor stores across the country began pulling Russian-origin products from their shelves . As B.C. Premier John Horgan wrote in a statement announcing the withdrawal of Russian products from B.C. Liquor Stores, “we stand with those who want to live in peace.”

There’s just a few problems with the gesture …

• The products are already paid for. Liquor stores don’t work on consignment, so any Russian products already in Canadian liquor warehouses have already resulted in Canadian dollars being funnelled into the Russian economy. This means that the most immediate result of the policy will be a bunch of paid-for booze being poured down the drain.
  • Canadian liquor stores don’t actually carry a lot of Russian products. Stolichnaya is Latvian, Absolut is Swedish and Smirnoff (the world’s best-selling vodka) is British-owned and manufactured virtually everywhere except Russia. This is why, in Ontario, the ban on Russian products will apply only to two niche vodka labels and one brand of Russian beer.

And most importantly, vodka is a microscopic component of a Russian economy that actually runs largely on oil and gas – commodities that have remained conspicuously untouched even as the world assails Moscow with punitive sanctions. It’s why, on Saturday, the Ukrainian foreign minister explicitly called for an international embargo on Russian oil.

Russian oil continues to flow even into Canada. Despite sitting on our own ocean of oil, last year saw Canada spend roughly $1 million per day on Russian oil imports – and there have been no official moves made towards turning away Russian-flagged ships at our oil ports.

Writing in the National Post , former Liberal candidate Adam Pankratz wrote that Canadian oil and gas should have been used to alleviate the stranglehold that Moscow currently holds on Western Europe by virtue of supplying much of its energy. “Any Canadian up in arms about (Ukraine)  and wondering what we could do need only look to what we could have done: build pipelines and get our oil and gas to market,” he wrote. “Energy East or other gas pipelines could be sending tankers of LNG to Europe non-stop to ease the dependence on Russian gas.”

The areas of the country with the highest concentrations of Ukrainian-Canadians also happen to be the ones with the most oil, so it’s perhaps not surprising that Western Canada’s (mostly Conservative) politicians have been calling for a ramping up of Canada’s “oil weapon” to counter the Russians (and make a lot more money at the same time).

• Alberta Premier Jason Kenney has renewed calls for Canada to ban Russian oil imports, and for the United States to renew approval for the Keystone XL pipeline in order to supplant its own Russian imports with Canadian oil.

Canada could become one of the first, if not the first country, to implement a ban on Russian oil,” read a Saturday tweet by B.C. MP Dan Albas.

• Conservative MP Michael Kram similarly wrote on Saturday that “the world needs more Canadian oil and gas. If Russia’s recent actions don’t convince people of that, I don’t know what will.”

WAR IN UKRAINE

As of Sunday morning, Ukrainian forces have proved far more resilient than Russia appears to have suspected . While Russian forces have pushed into Ukraine from several directions, they have not captured any major population centres and – at least according to the Ukrainian military – Russian losses have been heavy . It’s perhaps notable that Russian state T.V. is downplaying the scope of the invasion.

In terms of the international response, the past 48 hours have seen two major shifts in Ukraine’s favour:

• A coalition of Western nations (including Canada) agreed to pull Russia from the SWIFT payments system; the principal mechanism by which money is moved across borders. “This will ensure that (Russian) banks are disconnected from the international financial system and harm their ability to operate globally,” read a joint statement.
  • Germany – which has typically taken a back seat in efforts to counter Russian influence – pulled a dramatic 180 on Saturday. Germany Chancellor Olaf Scholz cancelled the Nord Stream 2 pipeline from Russia to Germany and reversed a longstanding German taboo against sending weapons to conflict zones by approving an immediate shipment of anti-aircraft and anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.

Canada has largely followed European moves on Russian sanctions, but there are two main measures in which we are increasingly becoming an outlier:

• Cutting off Canadian airspace to Russian aircraft. The U.K., Germany and several Central European nations have now closed their airspace to Russian airlines. Canada continues to allow daily overflights by Aeroflot, the Russian flagship carrier, although the Ministry of Transport has said it is “actively monitoring” that policy. NOTE: Just a few hours after this newsletter went to press, Canada did indeed close off its airspace to Russian carriers. 
  • Pledging to increase military spending. On Sunday, Germany announced a ramping up of military spending as a direct response to Russia’s actions in Ukraine. It follows a trend seen in other NATO countries such as France. As a NATO member, Canada is expected to spend two per cent of our GDP on defence. But as has been the situation for years, we are one of the alliance’s worst laggards on this promise. As of NATO’s last count, Canada spends 1.45 per cent of GDP on defence.German defence spending used to be in that range, but with Sunday’s announcement Berlin will shortly be meeting the two per cent target.
%7B

image.png

• Thanks 1