The Conservative Leadership Race

Liberals risk drowning in the Poilievre wave 

The conventional wisdom that Poilievre cannot win a national election is wearing thin

As the Conservative leadership campaign approaches what now seems certain to be Pierre Poilievre’s coronation, progressives are unnerved by the huge crowds of all ages he is attracting across the country, which point to an expanding Conservative base. Predictably, the Laurentian elite and their media loyalists have dissolved into full-blown derangement syndrome, while providing cover for Liberal missteps. Intriguingly, they are less protective of an increasingly unpopular prime minister.

The conventional wisdom that Poilievre cannot win a national election is wearing thin. Inflation, which people intuitively understand was created and exacerbated by government profligacy, is the public’s top concern. There is also widespread frustration with the government’s maddening incompetence and multiple ministerial missteps: Omar Alghabra for the airport debacles, Marco Mendicino, for misleading Parliament about the Emergencies Act, Karina Gould for mind-boggling passport delays, Mélanie Joly for an official inexplicably attending a Russian diplomatic party, Ahmed Hussen and Pablo Rodriguez for the Marouf scandal, Chrystia Freeland for favouring out-of-control spending over growth.

The prime minister’s charisma has faded with his team’s eroding credibility. Moreover, even die-hard Liberals are disillusioned by his own divisive tactics, hypocritical virtue-signalling, inability to deliver on priorities, tarnished brand abroad and, perhaps most important for them, 50 per cent disapproval rating.

The government is notoriously selective about treating people differently depending on their race, ethnic group, gender identity, sexual preference, age or country of origin. The most obvious case in point is that despite Laith Marouf’s appallingly bigoted and anti-semitic comments he was paid half a million public dollars to provide anti-racism advice. The absence of even elementary due diligence is inexcusable. Worse, it took over a month for the responsible minister to act and even longer for the prime minister to comment, no doubt in part because he did not want to own up to his ministry’s incompetence but perhaps also because Marouf hypocritically presented himself as a supposed ally in its core mission.

Had a racial minority or Aboriginal person been called a bag of feces or threatened with a bullet to the head the PM would quite rightly have expressed outrage, likely in minutes. He was appropriately quick off the mark when Chrystia Freeland was subject to unacceptable verbal harassment. Which makes the delayed reaction from the government and many in the media in the Marouf case even more disconcerting. The Jewish community is understandably disheartened by the blatant double standard. As a matter of basic decency, not to mention fundamental philosophical principle, governments should treat people equally and not discriminate based on twisted notions about identity or victimhood politics.

Pierre Poilievre clearly understands the widespread and growing anger about the disdain, condescension and snobbery a progressive elite have for working and lower middle-class Canadians. He empathizes with resentment about nanny-state intrusions, the politicization of science and the often bizarre ideas of left-wing ideologues, woke capitalists and “expert” academics. He agrees with people who rail against a government that allows faceless bureaucrats to infringe on their agency, curtail their freedom and damage their standard of living with heavy taxes and burdensome regulations.

Critics are torn between claiming Pierre Poilievre has no policies and denouncing these non-policies as extreme. He is decried as a populist because he seeks public support (as if the Liberal default position on just about everything is not to swing with public opinion). The “Trump North” label has failed to stick because he has been consistently pro-choice, supports gay marriage and favours immigration.

Liberals loath Pierre Poilievre because they fear he will dismantle excessive government intervention in society and the economy, reverse tax-and-spend policies, encourage natural resource development, defend free speech and genuine diversity of opinion, decry woke-ism, defund the CBC and undercut elite influence.

But it is Pierre Poilievre, not Justin Trudeau, who reflects mainstream Canadian thinking about fundamental issues. He believes profoundly in personal freedom and is proud of our history. In contrast, Trudeau has called Canada systemically racist and guilty of genocide. He proclaimed it the world’s first “post-national” state and declared “There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada.” His far-left thinking manifests itself in a profligate government that creates more problems than it solves.

Trudeau’s cultish climate obsession has wrought enormous harm to jobs, growth, national unity and the economic prospects of Indigenous peoples. Yet it has not achieved a single national GHG target or impacted global warming even minutely — something that actually could be achieved if Canadian LNG replaced coal in energy-hungry Asia and Europe.

I expect Pierre Poilievre will reach out to his leadership rivals and their supporters the way Stephen Harper did as prime minister. He can easily do that without compromising conservative principles, policy priorities or authenticity. It would be the magnanimous and smart thing to do. He will then speak directly to Canadians about how he will represent their values and interests and pursue his vision for a prosperous, proud and fair country for everyone. No wonder Liberals are worried.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/joe-oliver-liberals-risk-drowning-in-the-poilievre-wave

On 2/6/2022 at 3:16 AM, Jaydee said:

As expected. A first round Coronation 

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

The Ottawa-area MP secured the support of 68.15 per cent of voting members, 

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised by the supporters of Charest……the man spoke well and certainly had experience in government but carried a lot of baggage…not what is needed in todays politics…..

The biography does not mention that Charest served nine years as Quebec’s premier and 14 as head of the provincial Liberal party.

-

Charest’s previous work for Huawei – a company the Conservatives have for years called to be banned from Canada’s telecommunication networks on national security grounds – has already become an issue for his candidacy.

eight-year investigation by Quebec’s anti-corruption squad, which looked at alleged illegal party financing during Charest’s time as Quebec Liberal leader; the Bastarache Commission into allegations of partisan judicial appointments; and the Charbonneau Commission, which investigated corruption in the province’s construction industry.

Apparently, he didn’t resonate well with the Conservative party in Quebec either……he only won 6 out of roughly 80 ridings!!

We’ll see if he is a team player or takes his toys and goes home!

6 minutes ago, st27 said:

We’ll see if he is a team player or takes his toys and goes home!

Don’t think he will have much choice in the5 matter. His political career is over.

I hope we see the start of a promising career for Leslyn Lewis.

‘I would expect we see a shadow cabinet announced soon.

If you want to be successful in Conservative politics you have to stand for … ideas that excite large numbers of people. Electricians, mechanics, carpenters, everyday working people that might not be … fascinated by politics

• Like 1

As I see it this really means is….The harder they punch, the more frightened they are 

Pierre Pollievre on winning :

“ Here’s what’s going to happen if I win the Conservative leadership election tonight:

I’m going to get punched.

Trudeau’s Liberals are going to unleash a wave of advertising attacking me, trying to scare Canadians before I can punch back.

How do I know? Because the media have reported that the Liberals are ready to “define” me.

It’s coming and it’s coming fast.”

There is no way on earth somebody who could retire on a full government pension at age 31 should ever be in charge of a political party let alone a country.

Edited by Specs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Specs said:

There is no way on earth somebody who could retiree on a full government pension at age 31 should ever be in charge of a political party let alone a country.

What is the rationale for that? 

Actually, that isn't even correct. A retired MP cannot receive a pension until age 55.

Is it better to have somebody with no previous real work experience, who has lived off a trust fund he inherited all his adult life?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“ Pierre Poilievre’s resounding victory in Saturday’s Conservative leadership election is as clear a signal as any that a new generation of conservatives is in charge. Following its new leader, the party is younger, brasher and more energetic than it has been in years. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh have behaved as if they are entitled to the youth vote, and now those voters are shifting dramatically to the right.”

Poilievre erased the Conservative divide. The under-40s can tell you why 

The real divide has been generational, between boomers and millennials.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-view-like-trudeau-in-2015-poilievre-has-an-opportunity-to-ride-the-youth-vote-to-victory?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NP Platformed newsletter 2022-09-14&utm_term=NP_Comments

• Like 1

“ People can attack my politics, they can call me names, they can protest my ideas and what I stand for. But threatening my wife and family is appalling and I will not tolerate it." — Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre, on his decision to refer alleged rape threats concerning his wife to the RCMP. “

04360D0A-CBE0-47A0-B509-2D847E5BF78C.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 2

Poilievre's Conservatives ahead of Trudeau's Liberals, third poll shows 

Considering the near non-stop attacks in some parts of the media, it is truly remarkable.

One poll showing Pierre Poilievre and the Conservatives ahead of Justin Trudeau’s Liberals is interesting, but three polls showing that is a trend.

The people working in their cubicles and offices in Trudeau’s PMO need to be worried.

The first poll out was Leger, released last week with 34% of respondents saying they would vote for Poilievre and the Conservatives over Trudeau’s Liberals at 28% support. That’s an important reversal because when Leger polled a month earlier, the Liberals were at 33% and the Conservatives at 28%.

I’ll admit that when I saw Mainstreet with the Conservatives at 40% to the Liberals 32%, I thought it was most definitely an outlier – the mythical 20th poll that gets it wrong. And perhaps it is an outlier in how they have the Conservative support, but it’s not an outlier in there being a gap between the Tories and the Grits.

The latest Angus Reid poll puts the Conservatives at 37% to the Liberals’ 30% support, with the Conservatives taking significant support – 39% – in Ontario.

None of these polls, all taken in the last two weeks, shows the same results, but they do show a lead of 6-8% for the Conservatives and that is what is significant here. We are a long way out from a possible election and lots can happen between now and then, but voters appear willing to give Poilievre a look.

Considering the near non-stop attacks in some parts of the media, that is truly remarkable.

How to take it to the next level

The narrative out of the Angus Reid poll is that the growth in the Conservative vote is due to voters who backed the People’s Party of Canada last election saying they will vote Conservative this time. That’s part of what is happening but it’s not the whole story because there simply aren’t enough PPC voters and not all of them voted Conservative previously.

Poilievre appears to be pulling from people who backed the Liberals in the last election as well, which he needs to do if he wants to win. There are plenty of people who voted Liberal over the past few elections who are disillusioned and ready for change.

One group that Poilievre needs to break through on to take him and his party to the next level is women. In Canadian politics, men normally favour Conservatives and women lean more to the Liberals. Whenever either party wins big it’s because they broke through with the other gender.

That’s what Stephen Harper did in 2011 and what Justin Trudeau did in 2015.

Brian Lilly -  Toronto Sun

The ONLY demographic Trudeau leads in is women over 35. Looks like they are still infatuated with his hair…Guys…get off the couch and wake up !! The really great part of this poll is the Huge increase in support from GenZ and Millennials !

45323F7D-6295-4FFF-98A8-88D83654CF7F.jpeg

872A06F7-ECC9-4410-9098-25CF0F6575EB.jpeg

7FD4B482-CF2E-49A6-9E87-FA0E245E357F.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1