The Conservative Leadership Race

• 3 weeks later...

Right on...

Defund the CBC: Pierre Poilievre

https://thecountersignal.com/defund-the-cbc-pierre-poilievre-leads-the-chant/

“It’s true that I will cut the CBC’s budget since it’s a great waste — they waste an enormous amount of money,” said Poilievre. “Nearly everything the CBC does in English is already available on the market. Governments should only do what the market cannot do.”

“But nearly everything we see from the CBC — on TV, on the internet — is already available from other sources… there is a lot of waste for the CBC. I will cut the budget, we will save money, and we’ll allow people to choose their own media sources.”

>>>>>

"Last week, the CBC claimed that PM Justin Trudeau received a standing ovation following a speech at the EU, failing to tell readers that Trudeau was denounced multiple times and nine-tenths of EU MEPs left in protest before he began his speech. 

The CBC later wrote an article conceding that Trudeau was denounced — again, after much public scrutiny over their lacklustre reporting."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FireFox said:

after much public scrutiny over their lacklustre reporting."

Except it's not lacklustre reporting, or an accidental omission caused by laziness IMO... it's deliberate propaganda. They know exactly what they're doing and they were payed to do it. What I think they don't get (yet) is the lasting nature of the damage they've inflicted on their brand. 

Like CNN and a few others, I don't see how they recover from it and like Twitter, Disney, etc the reckoning will eventually come to pass and they will be utterly shocked and dismayed by both the speed of it and the lack of sympathy for their plight. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, Wolfhunter said:

it's deliberate propaganda. They know exactly what they're doing and they were payed to do it.

I believe so as well WF.

Poilievre put it well in one of his recent membership emails:

"The CBC is supposed to represent all Canadians. But does it represent you?

No. 

The CBC has become the billion-dollar propaganda arm of the Trudeau Liberal government.

It's a cheerleader for everything Trudeau does and attacks anyone who disagrees with him.

It's spending your money to make you feel bad about your principles and beliefs.

I will end this. I will defund the CBC. Saving $1 billion per year.
"

• Thanks 1

I watched the CPC leaders debate and I must say that Charest spoke with the most passion….a very effective public speaker….not saying I trust him though. 
Polievre was direct but unemotional.

It will be an interesting result.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, st27 said:

I watched the CPC leaders debate and I must say that Charest spoke with the most passion….a very effective public speaker….not saying I trust him though. 
Polievre was direct but unemotional.

It will be an interesting result.

When the crowd boos you, that can’t be good. Personality  I thought Pierre was hands down the clear winner and the one to beat. I wasn’t impressed by the combative approach but I can understand why it was done. IMO Conservatives can’t be sucked into voting in another Red Tory for a leader and if that’s what it takes to get the message across in plain clear, concise messaging so be it !

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped for gas in Gander. Look at those prices!

gandergas.jpg?1652881732

Gas prices are out of control.

Why?

The cost of government is driving up the cost of living.

Inflationary deficits and inflationary taxes.

The more government spends, the more things cost.

It’s JustinFlation. 

Statistics Canada confirmed today what I hear day in and day out from Canadians I meet on the campaign trail - they can’t afford to buy groceries, fill their tanks with gas or buy a home for their families - and they’re getting desperate.

I have a “common cents” plan to fight JustinFlation. As Prime Minister, I will:

1. Fire the governor of the Bank of Canada for failing to do his job
  2. End the money-printing deficits
  3. Cancel the Brown/Charest/Trudeau carbon tax
  4. Instead of creating cash, create more of what cash buys: produce more Canadian energy and food, and build more houses

My plan will tackle inflation to give people back control of their lives and make Canada the freest country on earth.

https://www.pierre4pm.ca/issues_survey

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“ Two Conservative MPs have defected from Brampton, Ont. Mayor Patrick Brown's team to support Pierre Poilievre, his main rival in the party's leadership race — a move that leaves Brown with just two MPs backing his candidacy.

Hamilton-area MP Dan Muys and MP Kyle Seeback, who represents neighbouring Dufferin-Caledon in the House of Commons, both announced Tuesday they're abandoning Brown for Poilievre. Their departures come after Poilievre's campaign said over the weekend that it has sold an eye-popping 312,000 memberships in the race for the party's top job.

Conservative sources told CBC News that roughly 600,000 party members will be eligible to vote in September's leadership election.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can personally confirm from an inside source the meltdown IS happening as we speak.

“ Federal Conservatives grow strong as Liberal meltdown continues “

While an election is three years away, there appears to be wind in the sails of the Conservative party

In recent weeks, the Conservative Party of Canada has signed up hundreds of thousands of new members, as the candidates raced to enrol supporters before last Friday’s deadline.

While official data are not yet available, it appears that the majority of new members have been enrolled by front-runner Pierre Poilievre, whose campaign claims to have signed up 311,958 new Tories, followed by Patrick Brown, who said he added 150,000.

If these numbers are accurate, the CPC will have surpassed the record 269,469 members it had in the 2020 leadership race. It would even surpass the 300,000 members the Liberal party bragged it had going into the 2015 election.

It appears that Canadians are hungry for change. After two elections in which two different Conservative leaders managed to win the popular vote but couldn’t win the election, there’s a sense that a reinvigorated Conservative party, facing a Trudeau-led government that increasingly seems fatigued, adrift, arrogant and complacent, has a chance at sniffing victory.

Issues that have galvanized conservative-leaning voters at the grassroots include rampant inflation, the federal government’s continued instance on vaccine mandates in the face of evidence that they’re now useless and anger at the harsh overreaction of the Trudeau government to the Freedom Convoy in Ottawa in the form of its draconian use of emergency powers.

According to a recent Nanos poll, the top three issues that Canadians care about are inflation, jobs and health care. While the Liberal government can be credited with a decent effort at job creation, that’s come at the cost of an outsized fiscal stimulus that is contributing to inflation. The consequence of high inflation is that many poor and middle-class households are finding it hard to pay rent, buy gas and put food on the table. This is literally a bread-and-butter issue.

While an election is three years away, assuming that the Liberal-NDP alliance holds together, there appears to be wind in the sails of the Conservative party, which now has legitimate issues such as inflation with which to attack the incumbent Liberal government.

It appears increasingly that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his government are like the ancien régime, a few years before the French Revolution. You can sense the desperation in the liberal commentariat, who are reeling from the devastating Ontario election, which saw incumbent Progressive Conservative Premier Doug Ford trounce the opposition.

It’s that kind of desperation that animates ludicrous suggestions like making voting mandatory. While this has been mandated by some countries with very different political systems and histories, the only countries with Westminster-style parliamentary systems that have mandated voting are Singapore, Thailand and Australia. But so what?

If these countries want to curtail individual liberty and force them to come out to vote even if they don’t want to, why should this be any reason for Canada to go down this illiberal path? In a free society, the right not to vote is as much a right as the right to vote is. The suggestion by some advocates of mandatory voting that those who don’t like any of the choices on offer are free to spoil their ballots shows just ridiculous the proposal is.

Yet others in the collective liberal meltdown pointed out that Ontario saw record low turnouts, as if this somehow invalidates the election result. That is the kind of nonsense that sore losers tend to spew, but there is a useful kernel in the midst of the bile, which is that low voter turnout tends to benefit the incumbent party.

In Ontario’s case, the beneficiaries were the incumbent Progressive Conservatives. By the same token, low turnout would presumably serve the Liberals well in the next federal election. What’s working in favour of the Conservatives is just how out of touch the Liberals seem to be. This is why it’s crucial for the Conservatives that all of the new members who were just signed up actually come out to vote in the next election.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rupa-subramanya-federal-conservatives-grow-strong-as-liberal-meltdown-continues

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Trudeau and Singh should be shaking in their boots over Conservative membership numbers

The membership cutoff for the Conservative leadership race came and went last Friday, and the numbers are staggering.

The party has announced that over 600,000 Canadians are now members of the party and eligible to vote in the upcoming leadership race in September. Front-runner Pierre Poilievre’s campaign claims that over half of those – 311,958 – were purchased on his campaign website. ( 3 times what Trudeau recruited :Clap-Hands: )

These numbers are unprecedented in Canadian history.

For comparison, 174,404 Canadians voted in the 2020 CPC leadership race.

In the 2017 CPC leadership race, 141,000 Canadians voted.

And, the last time the Liberals held a leadership race – in 2013 when they selected Justin Trudeau – 104,552 Canadians voted. At the time, the media were celebrating Trudeau’s ability to recruit members and giddily invoking “Trudeau-mania.”

https://tnc.news/2022/06/08/trudeau-and-singh-should-be-shaking-in-their-boots-over-conservative-membership-numbers/

Edited by Jaydee
  • Thanks 1

Pierre Poilievre vindicated as Bank of Canada admits his criticisms were legitimate

The legacy media hasn’t stopped criticizing Pierre Poilievre’s promise to fire the Governor of the Bank of Canada. Journalists have labeled Poilievre’s plans as “outrageous”, “irresponsible” and “reckless”. Even one of Poilievre’s own caucus colleagues, Ed Fast, jumped on the media bandwagon to criticize his comments.

But is Pierre Poilievre right about the Bank of Canada?

Turns out, even the Bank of Canada admits that their policies have led to inflation and economic instability — the heart of Poilievre’s critiques.

Without skipping a beat or acknowledging they were wrong about inflation, the media has pivoted its critiques to the broader Conservative Party. The media is now questioning the party’s membership numbers and criticizing the leadership candidates for even reporting their own numbers.

https://tnc.news/2022/06/13/pierre-poilievre-vindicated-as-bank-of-canada-admits-his-criticisms-were-legitimate/

Trudeau’s Minister of Public Safety, Marco Mendicino, needs to be fired.

He’s the guy Trudeau used to give fake excuses for invoking the Emergencies Act during the peaceful convoy protests.

In April, Mendicino told the House of Commons that they brought in the Emergencies Act on “the advice of law enforcement.”

He repeated this claim at least 13 times in the House of Commons.

Both the RCMP and Ottawa police say they never asked for the Emergencies Act to be enacted.

The Minister made false statements. If he messed up, then he’s incompetent. If he lied, then he’s dishonest. Either way, he can’t keep this important job.

Mendicino needs to be fired now. But Trudeau won’t, because Mendicino’s lies protect him too.

We know that Trudeau wants the government to get bigger and have more control over everyone’s lives.

Pierre Pollievre 

Leaderless Conservatives climb 5 popularity points past Liberals: Nanos

Published June 22, 2022 3:13 p.m. MDT

The Conservative Party is edging out the Liberals by five percentage points when it comes to who Canadians would vote for, according to Nanos Research’s latest federal ballot tracking.

In the latest Trend Line episode, pollster Nik Nanos said the Conservatives sit at 36 per cent of ballot support, while the Liberals sit at 31 per cent, the NDP at 19 per cent, the Bloc Quebecois at six per cent, the Green Party at five per cent, and the People’s Party of Canada at three per cent.

“It looks right now that Canadians are grumpy and the Conservatives are in the driver's seat. And you know what? If these numbers go up even higher, especially depending on the outcome of the Conservative election this fall, it could be really bad news for the Liberal Party,” said Nanos.

Candice Bergen is leading the Conservative Party on an interim basis as membership readies to elect a permanent leader on Sept. 10.

nanos-ballot-tracking-1-5958715-16559321

The pollster said there are several factors at play, including the simple fact that every governing party has an expiry date. He also mentioned recent Liberal announcements that didn’t commit to any new spending, but were based on previous promises.

“There's not a lot of stuff that's new. There are a lot of things that they're still working to deliver on, like on reconciliation. Like on the environment. And I think for some Canadians, it's looking a bit tired for the Liberals,” he said.

ECONOMY AND INFLATION WOES

Canadians are also anticipating a major downturn in the economy in the next 60 to 90 days, according to the Bloomberg, Nanos Canadian Confidence Index completed on June 17.

On the 100-point scale, anything under 50 is negative and anything over 50 is positive. Currently, Canadians are hovering around the neutral mark – only the fourth time in 14 years public opinion has hit that mark.

bloomberg-nanos-canadian-confidence-inde

One of those times was the 2008 recession and most recently it was during the pandemic.

Nanos said Wednesday’s news that the annual inflation rate in May hit its highest level in nearly 40 years will heighten economic concerns.

“That's just another piece of news that creates a high level of anxiety and uncertainty for average Canadians,” he said.

And while perceptions of the housing market have been steadily high, the pollster said they too are declining.

Approximately 41 per cent of respondents to a Nanos, Bloomberg telephone survey said they think the value of real estate will increase, down 13 percentage points in the last four weeks. Another 26 per cent think it will decrease, up 12 per cent.

nanos--bloomberg-real-estate-survey-1-59

“I think a lot of that has to do with you know people worried about interest rates going up, what inflation might mean, and also just worry about the economy. So the hot real estate market, period, full stop right now today at least, is no longer hot,” he said.

METHODOLOGY

For ballot tracking: 1,094 random interviews recruited by RDD (land and cell lines) random telephone survey of Canadians age 18 years and over, ending June 17, 2022. The data is based on a four week rolling average where each week the oldest group of 250 interviews is dropped and a new group of 250 is added. A random telephone survey of 1,094 Canadians is accurate 2.9 percentage points, plus or minus, 19 times out of 20.

78.5% of Conservative members rank Poilievre as first choice for leader: True North survey

A True North online survey of 5,228 Canadians who identified themselves as Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) members found that leadership candidate Pierre Poilievre was the first choice to become leader. 

In total, 6,394 people responded to the web survey which was open www.tnc.news for two weeks from Jun. 8 to Jun. 22. 

Results show that among active members, Poilievre had the overwhelming lead on the first ballot with 78.5% of the vote. Poilievre was followed by fellow MP Leslyn Lewis who scored in at 11.8% and then Roman Baber who received 8.7% 

Of those polled, 0.7% picked Jean Charest on their first ballot, 0.2% picked Scott Aitchison and 0.1% picked Patrick Brown.