World First.. Canada mandates automatic headlights

Something to be proud about for a change.

World first: Canada mandates automatic headlights, blacked out dash displays when not in use

Canada is leading the automotive world with a regulation that mandates automatic headlights – and blacks out instrument displays when headlights are not in use.

Authorities in Canada have introduced world-leading regulations that aim to stop “phantom” motor vehicles being driven blind at night.

The number of cars driving in darkness with headlights switched off has risen sharply over the past decade.

This is because most new vehicles are equipped with hi-tech instrument displays that are illuminated day or night – whether headlights are switched on or not.

Many drivers are often unaware their headlights are switched off at night because the instrument cluster on modern cars displays normally whenever the engine is running.

Japan mandated automatic headlights on all new motor vehicles sold there from April 2020.

However, Canada has taken the safety measure one step further – by requiring car companies to program their vehicles to disable the illumination of the instrument cluster unless headlights are switched on.

Car headlights and instrument illumination have been linked since the earliest days of the automobile.

But the arrival of new technology in the early 2000s saw car companies adopt instrument displays that illuminate day or night – whether or not the headlights are on.

It explains why there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people driving at night with their vehicle’s headlights switched off.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/world-first-canada-mandates-automatic-headlights-blacked-out-dash-display-when-not-in-use/?fbclid=IwAR0LLOHysdoIkTzrn4_WaBAfnjWyAcRYZvrQEdS16fU72WYvbPchIhfNY6k

why not just have headlights on all the time like motorcycles?  Much simpler solution just eliminate the switch altogether

23 hours ago, mo32a said:

^Some of the newer headlights cost thousands of dollars to replace, driving lights are fine by me.

The reason the newer headlights cost more is because they are LED and the lifespan can be over 25-50 times the life of a halogen bulb, even more so over incandescent.

So while it is more expensive, you won't be replacing it as often.

What was wrong with the old Oscar November switch?  If you want to see where you are going when it’s dark, turn them on. As for leaving the headlights on…I don’t want to be looking at an oncoming stream of high intensity leds in heavy traffic during the daytime.

People rely too much on technology.How many people actually look behind them when they back up or just look at the bu camera? 

1 hour ago, deicer said:

The reason the newer headlights cost more is because they are LED and the lifespan can be over 25-50 times the life of a halogen bulb, even more so over incandescent.

So while it is more expensive, you won't be replacing it as often.

1,000.00 fir the LEDs and only $40.00 for 2 halogen replacement bulbs. ..... hmmmmm

2 minutes ago, deicer said:

Probability of having to replace LED headlights over the life of the car is next to zero, unless you have a collision.

My Toyota is 12 years old and still using the original bulbs......  Following is an informative link re LED Headlights

How long do LED headlights last? 1 Thing That Will Kill Your Bulbs Fast! (scanneranswers.com)

Interesting thing I just noticed.  I use an adblocker for most of my internet browsing but I have the AEF whitelisted (allowing advertising) to monitor the site in it's raw form.  Usually I see the ads but don't pay much attention.  Just after the topic of headlights was mentioned in the thread there appeared Canadian Tire ads for, you guessed it, headlights!  Google is watching what we post.