HIFLY A340 Land in Antarctica

deicer

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/first-flight-from-cape-town-to-antarctica-in-airbus-a340-2021-11

WATCH | This Airbus A340 flew from Cape Town to Antarctica in a world first

• An Airbus A340 weighing 190 tons landed on Antarctica’s runway carved out of blue glacial ice on 2 November.
  • Not much was known about the flight from Cape Town International Airport to Antarctica’s Wolf’s Fang Runway.
  • But now, a captain’s log detailing the flight and the record-setting landing has been made public.
  • The aircraft is expected to carry scientists, cargo, and tourists to the White Continent in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dare I say it - "Cool"

or maybe "Slick"

I saw that DC-3 in the backgound as well and wondered how the hell they're gonna get the thing out of there in those temperatures - Ice Breaker?

7 hours ago, GDR said:

Loved that plane. 

I remember the one -300 with the 'pre twist' wings.  I recall a few hot days wondering if we were going to fly, or drive, to narita...

The -500 on the other hand.   A real teacher of rotation discipline. 

Edited by Vsplat

7 hours ago, Tango Foxtrot said:

Standing on the ramp in YVR watching an A340 take off......

The guy standing beside me started chanting......" I think I can,  I think I can,  I think I can...."

As we used to say, "it got airborne because of the curvature of the earth". 🙂

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Vsplat said:

I remember the one -300 with the 'pre twist' wings.  I recall a few hot days wondering if we were going to fly, or drive, to narita...

Yeah, being based in DEL on the 343 there were a few times when it was a challenge to meet the 35’ scream height. 😮

• Haha 1