Who is an AME?

Guest Gadgeteer

Guest Gadgeteer

I noticed there are 50 user profiles on this forum. I am wondering just how many are actually licensed AME's? Post here if you are an AME.

For the record I am an AME.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gadgeteer

Hi Robert, I see you work for AC as well. I am based in YZ, how about yourself? I started looking at the bio's but most don't have a description. So I was just wondering if all are AME's. How do you like the A330 and A340?

Guest Gadgeteer

I have been hearing the same thing about the A330 and A340. I can't help wondering about the Trent 700 engines on the 330. Are the Trent 700's worth the hassle (size and cost)? And do the Trent's start better in cold wx than the old RB211's?

Guest ken hickerson

I am.

Gadgeteer I also have the 340/330. The trent is still going through some teething pains, but I think that it will prove far more reliable than the old RB. It is easier to start in cold weather. I have been speaking with the AT guys here in yyc as they have had 2(or3) eng-changes(same eng) out on the ramp. Rolls eventually replaced the engine with a new one. Apparently the trent, with the right conditions (with the field elev in yyc we have the right conditions alot of the time) the eng was stalling. There is now an ongoing mod with the ip gaspath clearance.

They also commented on the fuel line having a vibration dampener that was not installed (from factory) on their more famous 330.

I plan on seeing the 330 alot more in the winter...

Guest ah crap

It was just something to try out, other guys at work had one. I'm the only one left, as far as I know. Homestead works well but as many other places, you are limited to 5megs unless you pay the token $20US every six months. I should get rid of it but it's handy for all my bookmarks.

Cheers and good thread you started.

Guest Gadgeteer

Hi Canmech. Is it business as usual on the YVR line? In YZ we still are dealing with problems resulting from the move of Hgr 'C' and Line Mtce Operations. I figure it is going to be another year before we get everything settled.

Guest ken hickerson

Apparently the folks at rolls knew/know about it and were to have all uninstalled pwrplnts fitted with the mod. I will ask the AT boys tonight; as well I will check the SDLs. I'll get back to you 2morrow with more.

Guest norseman

Hi Gadeteer

I work Phase check since I started 2yrs ago. Be for that I worked at a number of general aviation companies. In that time I got my M1,M2,S, and indorsed on HS 748, A319, A320, and A321.

Guest Gadgeteer

I see you have a 'S' rating. That is one advantage of working in general aviation. I have always worked for the large airlines that have structure mechanics. Very good background Norseman.

I too am an AME working for Transat on the line in YVR. Looking at some of the responses below regarding the 330 with the Trent, well, it seems like a better engine than the 211 in a lot of ways(you don't add oil like it was a radial) but they've still got problems with vibrations. Time will tell how RR deals with the teething problems.

Cheers guys

Guest Gadgeteer

Good Day TJM. I am a former CAIL empolyee as well. Is it true that 'Bay 4' is no longer a line hangar? I heard 'Bay 4' has been converted to heavy mtce.

Guest Canmech

I can answer that one for TJM.Bay four will be converted into a 737 dock for America West heavy mtce in the new year.The bay four line mechanics have been working out of the south side(Air Canada)hanger since Dec 1.Bay one and bay two will be 767 heavy mtce bays and bay three will be the dedicated A310 bay for Air Jamaica,DND and rumoured FED-X mid to late 2002.Later Canmech!

Archived