5G network...

Maverick

I wonder if this is indirectly a bit of a shot at Huawei?

Federal government drops surprise restrictions on 5G service near airports

Mobile Syrup  23 hrs ago

Like51 Comments|

image.png.13c1c7dafd93bb4dce7be88c1a5a1c2b.png

Canadians living near airports may have a hard time getting 5G service thanks to a surprise announcement from the federal government.

%7B© Provided by Mobile Syrup Federal government drops surprise restrictions on 5G service near airports

The feds announced new restrictions on 5G service near most major airports over concerns of possible interference between the radio waves — called spectrum — used in 5G communications and certain aviation navigation tools. According to the Toronto Star, radio altimeters on aircraft operate on the 4,200 to 4,400 megahertz (MHz) frequency band, which is near the recently-auctioned 3,500MHz spectrum considered crucial to mid-band (or Sub-6) 5G.

Using Toronto’s Pearson Airport as an example, the restrictions banning 5G base stations cover a large area around the runways themselves. Moreover, restrictions covering two long stretches from Etobicoke to Brampton and from Downsview to Mississauga will limit power use, which can affect network performance. A map from the Star shows the restricted areas.

%7B© Provided by Mobile Syrup

Restriction 5G areas around Pearson (Source: Toronto Star)

The Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) said on August 6th that it would hold a brief consultation before applying the restrictions around airports where planes are permitted to use automated landing.

The Star also detailed comments from carriers that are, unsurprisingly, upset about the restrictions. Telus was among the most vocal and claimed the restrictions reduced the $2 billion value of 3,500MHz spectrum it acquired at the recent auction by about $100 million. Telus also claims the government’s restrictions are more drastic than precautions taken in other countries.

For example, U.S. regulators determined a guard band of 220MHz would be “sufficient” to protect aviation industry needs. Further, Telus claims Australia and Japan implemented guard zones of 200MHz and 100MHz respectively. The Canadian government, however, proposed a buffer zone between 550MHz and 700MHz.

In an email statement to the Star, ISED says it issued a bulletin in March, well before the spectrum auction, committing to study the issue. The bulletin also warned that the government may develop rules for 5G operation in the new spectrum band.

Although the carriers may gripe about the limitations, Canadians living in regions covered by the new restrictions will also lose out, especially if they’ve already upgraded to a new 5G-capable device in anticipation of the 3,500MHz rollout.

Source: Toronto Star

Federal government drops surprise restrictions on 5G service near airports (msn.com)

39 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I wonder if this is indirectly a bit of a shot at Huawei?

Federal government drops surprise restrictions on 5G service near airports (msn.com)

Or maybe after  reviewing articles like the following: 5G wireless technology and the risk for aviation | BLG

An excerpt from the article 

The RTCA report and the risk to aviation

The Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics (RTCA) is a private, not-for-profit association. The RTCA works regularly with the government for aircraft equipment certification, and in the development of aviation industry standards for regulatory compliance.2

On October 8, 2020, the RTCA distributed a 231-page publication of its study that evaluated how 5G emissions could interfere with an aircraft’s radar altimeter performance.3 The publication was in response to the anticipated expansion of the 5G C-band. To date, the RTCA publication is the most comprehensive analysis on this topic.

Knowing how a valid radio altimeter signal is absolutely critical to various avionics systems during approach, I'm happy to see these restrictions in Canada. Let's monitor the operations in those other countries that have looser restrictions, and see how it goes. The Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development could be proven to be correct, who knows?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kargokings said:

Or maybe after  reviewing articles like the following: 5G wireless technology and the risk for aviation | BLG

An excerpt from the article 

I'm aware of that, I was merely commenting on the possibility that the timing may be more than a bit coincidental.

I am surprised that this is a surprise.  The analysis has been out for awhile.  All of the alphabet groups were on Ottawa's case and Transport Canada asked for this to be addressed months ago. 

I think it has nothing to do with Huawei.  It affects all 5G equipment.

Vs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, Vsplat said:

I am surprised that this is a surprise.  The analysis has been out for awhile.  All of the alphabet groups were on Ottawa's case and Transport Canada asked for this to be addressed months ago. 

I think it has nothing to do with Huawei.  It affects all 5G equipment.

Vs

There is also a strong lobby developing against the usual of Industrial 5G - plant or facility networks - in the vicinity of airports for the same reason. The US DoD is against it, among others. No, can't see a Huawei connection.