acting LLATs

Guest widebody

Guest Gadgeteer

I don't like the situation either. However, when we turn to an arbitrator anything can happen. That is why it was so important that AC and CAIL IAM groups pulled together from day one. Unfortunately that did not happen. Therefore, we all lost control of the outcome by going with a third party resolve. I hate to say it but I think it is to late to fix it now.

Having said that, if we were to get a mechanic's only union/association off the ground soon, we might get another kick at the can.

Guest Gadgeteer

I believe we will be stuck with the IAM even if tech ops becomes it's own profit center. Getting our own representation will take some effort from all mechanics. The sooner the better.

Guest Canmech

Hi Amecanada,

I have worked with AC Cat's on the line (days and nights) and I agree with you that there is 'no difference between an AE1 and a Cat' on day shift on the ramp.The scope of the jobs are 'exactly' the same.

You stated...'if he were to be working in overhaul or running overnight checks, he would not be performing the same duties as an exCAIL Mech1,2,3,4 or 5(AE1). He would have additional duties also...' So in your argument,you are stating the CAT on night checks(eg.A-check) has additional duties.On an A check in the hanger I would agree with you to a degree but no more extra duties than an AE1 that is assigned an A check in the ex-cdn hanger.Both are responsible for the A/C and that all the scheduled work on the tally sheet is accounted for.AE1's hold company ACA's,endorsements,taxi authority,run-up just like the CAT's.How many CAT's did 'Adams' think were on night shift and overhaul to justify his decision? Nor do I understand the complaining of the CAT that feels that he has received a demotion.If you don't have the seniority to hold an LLAT position right now you will be placed on list one of the LAT lists.On this list you will have the right to 'bid for all purposes' ahead of all the AE1's for vacation,shifts,promotion..,regardless of seniority.For example in YVR ,a 40 year seniority AE1 is behind a CAT with 3 years seniority and of that 1.5 as a CAT.This CAT might not have the seniority for a LLAT position the next ten years bidding on list one.So enough with the demotion argument,it holds no weight.IMHO! Later Canmech!

Guest Gadgeteer

Amecanada you are right. When I was laid off from a AE2 position to a AE1 position my duties did not change. To me the Adam's award is just a continuation of my unfair treatment as a AE1. For the record, a group of us AE2's grieved the lay off and lost in arbitration.

Guest Gadgeteer

I was really referring to life through out the 1990's. I will not be included in the 'Super Seniority' list. This is my fault and I blame no one. In 1999 I refused recall back to AE2 so I could have a better shift. The end result is, I am not on 'laid off status'.

Guest Canmech

There was a grievance put forward during the early nineties with respect to the AE2/AE1 issue in which the arbitrator deemed that an AE1 job scope was equally comparable to an AE2...thus giving the company the ability eliminate the need for future AE2's positions.I'll have to dig that one up and post it.

What is interesting is that Canadian Airlines had laid off AE2's in the system for years,like Gadgeteer,that did not enjoy any super seniority date or bidding priviledges.They simply accepted the recall when it came,where ever it came or turn it down with no rights to recall.Many decided to turn the recalls down do to the shift or location of the recall and the AE2 numbers kept reducing.I believe in Vancouver the last AE2 recall was in 1998,with no AE2 positions awarded since.That Adams did not elect to award recalls 'without' the 'bidding for all purposes' before the AE1's/mechanics as adequate protection for the LLAT recalls is truly amazing!IMHO! Later Canmech!

Archived