Funding for the AEF?

Seeker

It's soon approaching one year since I picked up the torch here on AEF and the various subscriptions,  software licences, hosting contract, etc will be renewing.

The AEF has never been run as a money-making venture and I don't want to change that but I would like it to break-even.

The question is;  continue as we have been with Google monitoring and tracking the site and placing ads as it wishes or ditch the ads and change to a voluntary donation model?  Anticipated donation range would be $5-$10/year.  Completely voluntary, of course.  

I'd like some input on this subject and will follow the wishes of the members.   Reply here in the thread or via private message please.

Take this opportunity, if you wish, to tell me what you like about the AEF, what you don't like, what you wish we had, what you wish we didn't have, etc.  This is our community.  

2 hours ago, Seeker said:

It's soon approaching one year since I picked up the torch here on AEF and the various subscriptions,  software licences, hosting contract, etc will be renewing.

The AEF has never been run as a money-making venture and I don't want to change that but I would like it to break-even.

The question is;  continue as we have been with Google monitoring and tracking the site and placing ads as it wishes or ditch the ads and change to a voluntary donation model?  Anticipated donation range would be $5-$10/year.  Completely voluntary, of course.  

I'll like some input on this subject and will follow the wishes of the members - via private message please.

Take this opportunity, if you wish, to tell me what you like about the AEF, what you don't like, what you wish we had, what you wish we didn't have, etc.  This is our community.  

Re donation status, if it is a do it or lose the ability to post then I could support that, if on the other hand that would not be the case, then no.  .  Back in the day there was a drive for donations and a lot of us donated but then new members were allowed to join with full privileges and no requirement to donate. So In other words no free loaders...

The real question would of course be ...... how many $10.00 donations would it take to keep the forum running and at what point would the forum change from free to donors only.  

Have you looked at the impact of accepting donations, having to report them ( no link to your other income) and then making the necessary reports to the tax gremlins so as not to have to pay taxes.  Would you have to incorporate as a business?

9 minutes ago, conehead said:

I wouldn’t mind donating a bit on an annual basis… but I don’t mind the ads, either. Honestly, I barely notice them. I’m so used to ignoring ads, I’ve gone blind to them. ?

perhaps one way out would be to have the site refuse access to anyone using an adblocker.  A number of commercial and other sites have updated their software to do that.

9 hours ago, Innuendo said:

If the current level of Ads continues I can live with it, no problem. The point about adblockers is fair IMO. 

(TANSTAAFL)

I agree with Innuendo.

If it does become a burden to our host though, I wouldn't be adverse to donating either.

I've turned off my ad blocker for this site and if the ads stay as they are now, I will happily keep it turned off. I hope it doesn't become like some others where ad content takes up 80% of a page (are you listening, AVCanada?).

• 2 weeks later...