CAMEA to CAMA

Guest ken hickerson

Guest ken hickerson

Buzz your timing couldn't have been better!

CAMEA's name has now been officially changed to CAMA Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Association.

The new name better reflects all of the skilled people that CAMA wants to represent. I was never a 'processes guy' so this stuff takes time.

Ken

Ken... How would one go about learning more about this 'CAMA' idea? Also, is there any particular reason you have rejected the AMFA?

Mitch

Guest Canmech

Hi Ken,

'CAMA' is definitely a more convincing union name that 'CAMEA'.I thought CAMEA sounded more along the lines of one of my wife's hand cream.'CAMA' works,I like it.In all honesty it doesn't matter what we call our new union,CATW,CAMA,AMFA,..etc,as long as it equals separate bargaining for the trades groups!.Later Canmech!

Guest ken hickerson

I have not rejected AMFA. Honestly, I thought that using their Constitution as a guide line, and 'morphing' it into something that was applicable to Canadians would have a better reception.

Ken

Interesting... I'll be quick to admit I know very little of what's required to start an association or union of any kind, but I would think starting with one which has been around for a number of years seeking exactly what we are, would be a good choice. As I understand their constitution, it can be modified to include a Canadian branch quite easily... But you may be right.

I'd like to see what you've put together... I think you still have my e-mail address, it's mcronin@sympatico.ca

I think Canmech and Bill P. both were making very good points in that we need to consolidate our efforts! There is nothing to be gained by having several groups among us each going off in different directions and duplicating each others efforts. A meeting with the purpose of coming to an agreement on a single unified effort is an excellent idea!

Cheers,

Mitch

Guest widebody

lou

ken has proposed an association that would look out for the interests and concerns of all maintenance people, unlike the 'Idiots Against Mechanics'. he has not proposed a separate union (yet). maybe this will get the IAM to listen a little better because god knows nothing else has.

if you check some of the other posts from the past you will find his concerns are echoed at least as strongly by the vast majority.

as for ken being an HPWO partner, thats between him and the guys he represents on his base, nothing to do with the union.

Ken Hold your course,

If the IAM really wants to keep us then they better 'show us the money',I do not want to hear this crap about the airlines survival,the current trend is very evident,shortage of technicians means more money to keep the ones you have,not the idealistic line of thought that the IAM has of strength in numbers.The station attendants are a hindrance Lou,you know it I know it as does every one else and this is why a large number of airlines in the USA are going for a separate union or a separate bargaining unit with in their present union and the results a very apparent,NWA 25% dos,AMR 26% dos and both have minimum of 4% raises for the next 2 years after,Alaskan 17% dos,Southwest is leaning that way also!UAL IAM represented is willing to give concessions,go figure!If the IAM loses UAL mechanics next year 'it is not looking good for the IAM' then they may as well close the doors on aviation as they will only have USAIRWAYS and AC as the only majors that they will still have left and the IAM is in trouble at AC.

You fighting machinists want to redeem your selves,negots start this spring coming LOU,come back with nothing less than 25% dos (day of signing)and I may reconsider,but any thing less and I will make it my mission to dispose of these leaches once and for all.If I am correct,you are on the negots team? If yes then you work for me,getting paid off my union dues, and this is what I want,and I am sure that every mechanic will agree!

Guest ken hickerson

I just read your post...Underhanded?

HPWO is not accepted or allowed in LL2324 which I am part of. You should know that Lou. Being accepted and trusted with information does not force me into believing what the IAM is selling.

Furthermore my beleifs were made very clear at the skilled trades convention put on by the IAM which both you and Ron Fontaine attended. I stood in front of the whole convention and repeated more than twice 'what skilled trades requires is a seperate bargaining unit' to which Ron Fontaine stood up after and 'no f@@#ing way'

You heard it, Alf Bailey Heard it and two dozen other people heard it. For proof I have kept all of the presentations made at that convention/waste of time. Ron Fontaine is a liar so I don't doubt that he will have trouble remembering that quote. Another famous Fontaine quote 'mechanics are all a bunch of primadonas'.

What we couldn't acheive within the IAM we will acheive out of it.

Guest Canmech

Hi Ken,

I felt a little 'de ja vu' reading your post.At CDN we started our separate bargaining petitions in 1998,a little before you guys at Air Canada.We also were given a conference in which I heard the same words but instead from Ritchie's,'No F#$king Way...separate bargaining for the mechanics will never happen in Canada...'.Being one of the founding members of 'CATW',we were charged by Steve Vodi of the the I.A.M. through their constitution.At the hearings,once again this ..No F$*king Way..speech was repeated.

You watch!Next the I.A.M. will try to appease us by offering 'Addendum groups',similar to the negotiating structured at CDN prior to the merge.In an Addendum group,Tech Ops would be able to negotiate and ratify items that solely pertain to our group.License premiums,endorsement pay,line pay,training and licensing,even separate % wage increases.., would be some of the items that we could negotiate and ratify before moving to the main table.At the main table items that pertain to the group as a whole would be negotiated and ratified collectively.This is the structure we adopted at CDN after our raid in 1999.It is flawed and at best is a 'BAND-AID SOLUTION' to a structural problem the I.A.M. has in Canada.Simply all we want as a group is the same representation our fellow mechanics receive in the U.S.,PERIOD!It is going to be quite an interesting year to say the least.IMHO! Later Canmech!

Guest GRNDCHKOK

I believe the first move is to rename the licensed mechanic group, new name new grade new position and status.Should be AMT,or as the actual license shows,AME.Example in the States it was A&P MECHS and not highly recognised so they renamed to Aircraft Maintenance Technician and now have their own fraternal assosiation and expanding along with some very healthy wage increases.

Archived