Election 2021

18 hours ago, st27 said:

And while Trudeau is busy trying to get re-elected in an election that he called in the middle of a pandemic, that parliament voted against having….another international embarrassment following our cowardly exit from Afghanistan:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/us-politics/article-canada-left-out-as-us-uk-australia-strike-deal-to-counter-china/

Remember….Trudeau promised “Canada’s back!!”….. yup, back of the line.

why would anyone invite Trudeau to "counter China"  He is on their side

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Junior said:

I really don't see what was cowardly about recent events in Afghanistan.

How about pulling out of a rescue mission 3 days before the deadline to leave, telling our interpreters and families to make sure they have all their passports in order, wear something red and show up at the airport, while Ukranian troops go above and beyond to rescue Afghans bound for Canada, meanwhile, a Canadian government minister expresses hope “our taliban brothers” allows free passage for citizens out of the country. This is not a slight to the men and women who are in the forces…they just have to follow the direction of their political masters, as hard as it may be.

Not a great moment for Canada in the eyes of the international community!

21 hours ago, st27 said:

Share this video if somebody is having concerns on who to vote for:

I would be curious to know whether Justin Trudeau or Jeremy Corbyn alienated more party Mandarins during their respective leaderships.

Sorry folks, but I don't see how anybody can vote for Trudeau in this election. He has been a complete fraud throughout his time in office. It goes on and on. The NDP would be even worse for this country. 

It is time to save this country from these ruinous people on the left. They are a disaster.

8 minutes ago, Junior said:

Sorry folks, but I don't see how anybody can vote for Trudeau in this election. He has been a complete fraud throughout his time in office. It goes on and on. The NDP would be even worse for this country. 

It is time to save this country from these ruinous people on the left. They are a disaster.

I agree.  Vote PPC!  Let's turn this country around.

Rex Murphy: Sorry Obama, but Trudeau shouldn't win
Rex Murphy  2 hrs ago
87 Comments
|

O'Toole suggests a vote for People's Party is a vote for Liberals

Barack Obama wearing a suit and tie: Justin Trudeau greets Barack Obama as the then U.S. president arrives for a North American Leaders' Summit in Ottawa on June 29, 2016. Obama has endorsed Trudeau for the Sept. 20, 2021, federal election.© Provided by National Post Justin Trudeau greets Barack Obama as the then U.S. president arrives for a North American Leaders' Summit in Ottawa on June 29, 2016. Obama has endorsed Trudeau for the Sept. 20, 2021, federal election.
And after the nearly six weeks of blather, promises and attacks, where are we?

We are where we were at the beginning, still perplexed behind our masks, crossing the street when we see a fellow Canadian approaching and noticing he’s exhaling a little too lustily, why Justin Trudeau called this vain election during a still-raging pandemic.

It is the one question the Liberal leader won’t answer because the answer would doom his campaign in the election he made the decision to call.

He could not run on the campaign slogan: “I called it because it’s (August) 2021, and pandemic or no pandemic, Delta variant or no Delta variant, I saw a pretty good chance of sneaking a majority and Hey, I’m in charge and if I want to call a two-year-premature election because my chances at the polls look really good, who’s going to stop me?” Bit wordy, I agree, but the campaign ninjas of the PMO might have whittled it down.

Some of the really great issues the Liberals have thrown out during the past few weeks were gun control (the Grits would like to paint Erin O’Toole as some sort of nut who wants to arm every Canadian and send out free ammunition every other month), and abortion (listening to Liberal rhetoric, one is apt to think O’Toole wants to outlaw abortion and put in new laws built around the ethos of the 1620s New England Puritans).

There were others of equal urgency but most, if not all of them, curiously ignored the fact that IF no election had been called in the first place, with two years left in Trudeau’s mandate, O’Toole would have had no chance of doing anything about anything anyway.

Now in the last days of this transparent farce we have stepped-up diatribes against the “anti-vaxxers.” And much talk on the urgent need for “mandatory vaccinations.”

A long time before, virtually eons ago — as far back as May of this same year — Trudeau, in one of his most fervent utterances about the “kind of country we are,” declared, “We’re not a country that makes vaccination mandatory.”

Erin O'Toole, Clare Harvey posing for a picture:  Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole and his wife, Rebecca, greet supporters in London, Ont., on Sept. 17, 2021.© Blair Gable/Reuters Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole and his wife, Rebecca, greet supporters in London, Ont., on Sept. 17, 2021.
We are not a country that makes vaccination mandatory. Pretty clear and without qualification. But of course when he made that statement he was a prime minister, and not in an unnecessary and burdensome election he himself called.

However, being in an election, turning on a dime and going full tilt in the completely opposite direction is a perfect example of the consistency, straight-forwardness and courage we expect from a prime minister. And we must also bring to mind that in May there wasn’t any need to use the COVID crisis, with its vaccination protocols, as a “wedge issue.”

For is it not written in the Book of Canadian Politics, Liberal edition, and I quote, “In a election where the result is in doubt, it is not only permissible, but an act of honour, when in need of a wedge issue, to completely and diametrically reverse the strongest commitment you have ever publicly made, stand on your head or assume some impossible yoga position — in public if necessary — in order to blister your opponent.”

No space for a segue here, just noting that former U.S. president Barack Obama, from the battle-scarred territory of Martha’s Vineyard, has issued an advisory that he wants all Canadians to vote for Justin Trudeau. Deo gratias, Barack. We needed that.

Michael Taube: All conservatives need to realize that a vote for Maxime Bernier is a vote for Justin Trudeau
Conrad Black: There is only one rational choice in this election
If it were up to me, after such a call I think I would just cancel this whole Monday vote. If this is what Obama thinks a country he doesn’t belong to should be doing, have we, really, any choice to do otherwise? I concede that, for example only, if a former Polish prime minister in these last hours should counsel a different course, that would leave us Canadians in a real bind. Which former leader of a foreign nation is the better one to slavishly follow is a very trying intellectual exercise.

I note also that last Friday we learned that election-day polling stations have been cut by more than half in 11 Greater Toronto Area ridings. This is the kind of thing you can expect in a pandemic-defying election. And it is a very good thing. First, it will severely limit the number of people who will be able to vote. Secondly, having fewer people able to vote will obviously make the counting of the votes much quicker.

If you think seriously about these things, it should tell you that all future elections should be held during some sort of worldwide pandemic. And if a pandemic is not available, perhaps some kind of natural disaster. It simplifies everything.

Should anyone feel I have been a little less than grave in this aria, I would remind them that we have just had almost six weeks of the most absurd, unjustified, vanity-inspired, opportunistic and nakedly cynical election this country has ever experienced.

Please, therefore, direct any dissent from the wisdom here contained to the wizards of the PMO who brought this insult to democracy, COVID Election 2021, to pass.

National Post

• Thanks 1

Yeah, probably true.  A vote for PPC allows the Liberals a win.  The upside however, if the PPC gets 10% or more of the vote, is that it shows they have legs.  The next vote, they get 15%, the one after they get 25%.

In my riding it's virtually guaranteed that the libs win - might as well vote PPC just to add to their numbers.

3 hours ago, Seeker said:

Yeah, probably true.  A vote for PPC allows the Liberals a win.  The upside however, if the PPC gets 10% or more of the vote, is that it shows they have legs.  The next vote, they get 15%, the one after they get 25%.

In my riding it's virtually guaranteed that the libs win - might as well vote PPC just to add to their numbers.

They might have legs but legs / feet are no good if you can not afford food and shoes.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seeker said:

I agree.  Vote PPC!  Let's turn this country around.

Splitting the Conservative vote is literally handing Trudeau a win on a silver platter.  At such a pivotal juncture in Canadas history, If Bernier was really concerned about Canada, he would make a public declaration and throw his support behind Otoole

National Post

NP View: Erin O'Toole and the Conservatives are right for Canada

National Post View  5 hrs ago
Canadians have faced painful and punishing hardship during the pandemic. It has caused great fiscal and economic damage, while deep divisions over the right path to recovery are already tearing at the very fabric of Canadian society.

image.png

• Thanks 1

A vote for Trudeau is a vote for systemic racism. We all saw how vaccines were distributed based on race and who got priority. Do you think this is the end of that sort of thing. Get ready for this trajectory to continue under the Liberals or NDP(or both together) with perhaps things such as organ transplants and surgeries in the future.

The pressure is already on as seen here:

Public conversation on the ethics of intensive care triage during pandemic is overdue - Healthy Debate

"How should health equity be balanced with utility in intensive care triage?

Society’s failure to address upstream causes of ill health and inequities means that the futility or efficacy of ICU care is often determined well before people are brought to the doors of an ICU. To fail to attend to this in triage frameworks and clinical protocols undermines trust. Whose lives we save is not just a matter of how we apply clinical criteria. It is a matter of redressing unfair inequalities in health and a matter of protecting fundamental human rights.

And while utility is one worthwhile objective of health policy, it must be balanced with due consideration of the human rights of people who might be disproportionately, unjustifiably or morally harmed by clinically based triage decisions. Relying on clinical criteria like judgments about mortality risk in the short or long term, functional status or clinical frailty scores compounds health inequities by failing to help distribute health benefits fairly across society through explicit consideration of social disadvantage.

Human rights advocates, disability rights advocates, Indigenous health partners and members of the Black community have voiced concerns about the potential for discrimination when triage does not take stock of societal factors and when they are not involved in the process of developing triage criteria. Meaningful inclusion of these communities and their perspectives is essential for the ethical legitimacy of ICU triage frameworks to balance utility with equity."

How ironic that all kinds of people that we will be nice enough to let in over the next decade will immediately become a discrimminated against person after being allowed to come here and has a legal advantage in hiring and access to medical care. 

This is the systemic racism being introduced in this country and it is time to stop it and do what is said to be racist by the Liberals and NDP: Treating everyone equally.

Are you going to vote yourself to be a second class citizen?

Vote Conservative.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

And since you mentioned it….how do we absorb 1000+ people a week into this country, which has record debt, housing shortages, and unemployment….the people being let in aren’t all doctors, nurses and software engineers. 

Between 2021 and 2023, the goal is to admit upwards of 1.2 million new permanent residents.

How is this even possible?? The logistics don’t back this up. If you think this country is changing, just wait with a few more years of Trudeau.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-seeks-to-increase-immigration-over-next-three-years-even-as-pandemic-rages-on-1.5167479

• Thanks 1

The Toronto Sun pulls no punches on today's front page.

When your record includes "experiencing things differently", firing strong women, ignoring sexual assault allegations in your own party, ignoring sexual assault allegations in the military, and gaslighting the women who dare to question you, you get the 'cover treatment' that you deserve.

8D69250E-6B4F-41AE-994E-6B11191E50B5.jpeg

A refresher course on how we decide who gets to govern in a minority Parliament

Aaron Wherry, Senior Writer

Two years ago, we went over the conventions, rules and precedents that underpin Canada’s parliamentary system and who gets to govern in the wake of an election — you can read those pieces here and here.

But ahead of another vote, it’s probably time for a refresher. 

So here’s a pop quiz: For the sake of argument, let’s say that once all the ballots have been counted this week the federal election ends with the following result:

Conservatives: 130 seats
Liberals: 122 seats
NDP: 50 seats
Bloc Québécois: 34 seats
Greens: 2 seats

In this scenario, who gets to be prime minister?

The correct answer is, “it depends.”

MORE: The federal election might not have a clear winner Monday night — here's why

Because that’s how it almost always plays out, it’s easy to think that the “winner” of an election is whoever wins the most seats. In almost all cases, the winner of an election is relatively clear — either because one party has won a majority of seats in the legislature or because one party, even if it hasn’t won a majority, is essentially unchallenged for power.

But the real winner of the election is whichever party (or combination of parties) is able to hold the support of a majority of members of the House of Commons. Voters elect MPs, and the government in a parliamentary system is not necessarily the party that won the most seats or the most votes, but the party that can hold the confidence of a majority of those MPs.
  The other important thing to remember is that the incumbent government remains the government unless or until it resigns or is dismissed by the Governor General — in other words, the incumbent party has the first chance to decide if it wants to try to retain power.

In the above scenario, Justin Trudeau could decide that he doesn’t have the support necessary to continue governing, and resign.

But he could ask the Governor General to recall Parliament and attempt to win the House’s confidence — i.e. the support of the other parties, like the NDP — for a throne speech, an explicit motion of confidence or other significant legislation. And as long as he could win those votes, he could carry on governing. 

But if Trudeau lost a key vote in the House, he would be compelled to go to the Governor General and either resign or ask for a new election. And if he asked for a new election relatively quickly after this election — and particularly if he was unable to win even an initial vote of confidence — the Governor General would likely refuse his request and invite Erin O’Toole to form a government.

O’Toole could then try his luck with the House and perhaps govern with the support of other parties.

A similar sequence of events could theoretically play out even if the Liberals won more seats than the Conservatives. If the Liberals were defeated in the House in relatively short order, the Governor General could invite the second-place Conservatives to try to form government. 

Canadians could be forgiven for believing that the party with the most seats gets to govern. Even when a party doesn’t win a majority of seats, we often say that they have “won a minority government.” But, as explained above, that all depends.

In the current circumstance, we don’t know exactly how things would play out, because not all of the parties have been willing to explain how they would approach post-election scenarios. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh, for instance, has steadfastly refused to say what he would do if he had to decide whether to support a Liberal or Conservative government.

Of course, all of the above may not come into play after Monday. 

But it is important to know how the system works, regardless.

• Like 2