High Frequency Rail

mrlupin

I find it hilarious it will still be slower than the LRC service when it was first introduced forty years ago

Was that the Turbine powered train between Montreal and Toronto that was trialed for a time?

not sure it really worked. 
i have been on the Paris to Lyon TGV and it was pretty darned good.

not quite as impressive as the Mag Lev in Shanghai but still very good.

Edited by Innuendo

The CN Turbo was really short-lived, it was impossible to maintain.

The LRC is what is operating today although with conventional locomotives and the tilting mechanisms disabled.

Edit: Looks like the Turbo Train and LRC (with LRC locomotives) both did Toronto to Montreal in 3:59

VIA and Amtrak have the same problem, buying new rolling stock doesn't fix the fact their most important track is Victorian-era garbage. I am sure the new track built for this endevour will be eye-wateringly expensive.

Edited by Super 80

I think it's funny that everyone seems to have forgotten the rail blockades of last year.  Unless there is a change to the political will required to deal with them - why bother?  We could spend 50 gabillion dollars on fancy new trains and it will shut down in the first week by a small group with a few pallets and worn out tires.

5 hours ago, seeker said:

We could spend 50 gabillion dollars on fancy new trains and it will shut down in the first week by a small group with a few pallets and worn out tires.

We have a new GG. All is good.

• Like 1

I don’t think the Rapidair is going anywhere… Just $20B of our tax dollars

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2021/07/07/via-rails-new-plan-is-bold-but-can-be-even-better.html

The VIA plan predicts travel times between Ottawa and Toronto would be lowered from the present 4 hours, 30 minutes to 3 hours, 15 minutes, although in recent times VIA has offered trips of 4 hours. There is also some clarification needed on the trip time between Montreal and Toronto as those trains would stop in Ottawa, adding another hour and a quarter, making the entire trip about 4 hours and 30 minutes.”

I was kinda laughing today as Trudeau turned-up in Calgary to make a big transit announcement, which was just reiterating that the federal government is still willing to fund the Green Line, a transit project that has been at a near stand-still for a decade.

Nenshi looked like he was giving a hostage statement.

Edited by Super 80
  • Like 1

The part that make me laugh it he "High Frequency Rail" part.  We dont need High Frequency we need High SPEED Rail.

The Windsor - Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal corridor could use the High Speed rail system It has needed it for decades but Canada is not progresssive enough to do it,  So now we will get a very expensive half assed attempt which people will not use because it is too slow.

Porter from the island would be faster to YUL or YOW.

I agree with a high speed rail system but not what they are proposing because its too little gain for the money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boestar said:

The part that make me laugh it he "High Frequency Rail" part.  We dont need High Frequency we need High SPEED Rail.

The Windsor - Toronto - Ottawa - Montreal corridor could use the High Speed rail system It has needed it for decades but Canada is not progresssive enough to do it,  So now we will get a very expensive half assed attempt which people will not use because it is too slow.

Porter from the island would be faster to YUL or YOW.

I agree with a high speed rail system but not what they are proposing because its too little gain for the money.

I hope prudent spending overrules what could be "Progressive" high cost projects.  

Here is a link to a recent paper on the subject that makes it seem reasonable but I would wait once, if ever, a compressive business / project plan is produced. 

Microsoft Word - HSR_Formatted_New.docx (utoronto.ca)

The Global Economic Policy Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy is not a certified investment advisory service. It aims to create an intellectual framework for informed decisions by its clients. The document is based upon information obtained from sources the author(s) believe(s) to be reliable but which it has not been independently verified. Opinions, data and other information expressed in this document are based upon publicly available information at the moment of publication and/or distribution and may be amended without notice. This content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute, and may not be relied on as, investment advice or a recommendation of any investment or policy strategy. It does not represent a statement on behalf of the Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy at the University of Toronto. You may refer to this document in publications by directly linking to it at its source address

And in Alberta it appears to be the intention to build a "High Speed" line. I am in favour only as long as the $$$$$ to do so and run it are not sucked from the Alberta Tax Payers.  In short, user pay only. 

EllisDon receives approval to build high-speed rail link between Calgary and Edmonton

BY JOSH RITCHIE AND TOM ROSS

Posted Jul 8, 2021 2:30 pm MDT

Last Updated Jul 8, 2021 at 2:38 pm MDT

CALGARY — A high-speed rail between Calgary and Edmonton could finally be in the cards.

Construction services and infrastructure development company, EllisDon, says it has received approval to build the link between the two cities, with stops in Red Deer along the way.

“The notion of high-speed rail — a proven technology around the world — connecting EdmontonRed Deer, and Calgary in Alberta is not new, but we believe that its time has come. We have built a team with both the capacity and faith in the future of our province to advance it in a meaningful way for Albertans,” said Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson, Director with EllisDon Capital in a release on Thursday.

The project is set to be dubbed “Prarie Link.”

EllisDon says the project received a Memorandum of Understanding from Alberta Transportation, setting the stage for the project that is expected to cost around $9 billion.

An advisory committee has been established for the project, and there is also engagement with Indigenous communities to help guide development.

Last month, a feasibility study was completed in relation to a proposed hyperloop project as well, but that is projected to cost more than twice as much as the Prairie Link.