737 Down off Hawaii

Guest1

Successful ditching

Breaking: Boeing 737 Comes Down In The Sea Near Honolulu

Breaking: Initial reports suggest that a Boeing 737 carrying cargo has crashed into the sea just off the coast of Honolulu. The aircraft involved appears to be a 46-year-old Boeing 737-200 cargo plane, registered as N810TA, operated by Rhoades Aviation in Transair colors. Initial reports suggest that the aircraft was safely ditched, with both pilots already rescued.

What do we know so far?

As is usual just after an incident, the facts are fairly thin, but coming in fast. It seems that N810TA came down in the ocean just off of Hawaii shortly after takeoff. According to a tweet shared by Reuters’ David Shepardson, the FAA has confirmed the aircraft involved.

The aircraft made an emergency landing in the ocean at roughly 02:30 following engine trouble. It seems that there was not enough altitude to return to Honolulu, prompting the aircraft to ditch in the ocean. Two pilots were onboard the aircraft, it has been reported that both survived and have been rescued by the US coastguard.

Flight tracking website Flightradar24 tweeted that it was a 737-200 cargo aeroplane operated for the carrier Transair since 2014. It was built in 1975 and first delivered to Pacific Western Airlines.

An update:

One was found clinging to the plane's tail and airlifted to safety, Reuters news agency reports.

According to officials from the state's transport department, quoted by local outlet Hawaii News Now (HNN), he was airlifted to Queen's Medical Center and taken to intensive care in critical condition.

Rescuers brought the other pilot to shore by boat, HNN said. He is reportedly in a serious condition with a head injury.

Footage broadcast by NBC shows a man thought to be one of the pilots being taken away in a wheelchair. He appears to be conscious.

Boeing 737 cargo jet crashes into sea off Honolulu, Hawaii - BBC News

7 hours ago, Kargokings said:

Successful ditching

Breaking: Boeing 737 Comes Down In The Sea Near Honolulu

Breaking: Initial reports suggest that a Boeing 737 carrying cargo has crashed into the sea just off the coast of Honolulu. The aircraft involved appears to be a 46-year-old Boeing 737-200 cargo plane, registered as N810TA, operated by Rhoades Aviation in Transair colors. Initial reports suggest that the aircraft was safely ditched, with both pilots already rescued.

What do we know so far?

As is usual just after an incident, the facts are fairly thin, but coming in fast. It seems that N810TA came down in the ocean just off of Hawaii shortly after takeoff. According to a tweet shared by Reuters’ David Shepardson, the FAA has confirmed the aircraft involved.

The aircraft made an emergency landing in the ocean at roughly 02:30 following engine trouble. It seems that there was not enough altitude to return to Honolulu, prompting the aircraft to ditch in the ocean. Two pilots were onboard the aircraft, it has been reported that both survived and have been rescued by the US coastguard.

Flight tracking website Flightradar24 tweeted that it was a 737-200 cargo aeroplane operated for the carrier Transair since 2014. It was built in 1975 and first delivered to Pacific Western Airlines.

4 hours ago, Kargokings said:

not sure which report is accurate, the following one says both pilots are in good condition. I hope it is correct.

2 rescued as cargo plane makes emergency landing off coast of Hawaii | CBC News

Shut down wrong engine or double flame out at some point…

Have a few hours on this a/c myself….sad end. Glad the guys survived.

The aircraft couldn’t have been that heavy….just doing an inter island shuttle. Would fuel contamination cause high egt? I don’t remember birds being a problem at hnl nor were there any indications of bird strike in the atc tapes.

fwiw….I get the two registrations confused…I originally thougt this was the old Dome petroleum machine (which was DPA 784). Had to look it up.

Bob Hoover’s airplane was a Shrike Commander with piston engines and jet fuel had been added - a common problem as there are so few Shrikes compared to the Turbo. IAC, Turbine engines will run on AVGAS but I’d be shocked if someone put it into a B737. A 737 is normally refuelled using a pressure fuelling system and there are very few AVGAS trucks that have pressure fuelling.

Edited by J.O.

1 hour ago, A330PilotCanada said:

Good Morning J.O:

I hope this is not as "simple" as the O ring problem Eastern had many years on the L-1011 in MIA..

I had forgotten about that one. I honestly can’t recall any dual engine failures that were happenstance - an intervening event or issue has always been involved in creating commonality.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

FAA Grounds Transair Following Hawaii Ocean Ditching
by
Tom Boon
July 16, 2021
2 minute read
ADVERTISEMENT

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has grounded the Hawaiian cargo airline Transair. While it comes after one of its aircraft was forced to ditch in the ocean near Honolulu’s International Airport, the FAA told Simple Flying that the action was unrelated to the ongoing investigation into the accident.

Air cargo company that ditched plane off Hawaii is grounded (yahoo.com)

• 1 year later...

Final report.  Wrong engine assumed to be failed.  Engine malfunction shortly after rotation, identified by both pilots to be right engine, easily climbed to 2000 ft.  On level-off, FO (PF), brought both thrust levers nearly to idle to keep airspeed in check.  Subsequent to that, both pilots forgot it was the right engine that had malfunction, left the good no. 1 engine at idle and brought up power on the malfunctioning no. 2 engine only--which was not able to produce enough power to maintain flight.

Final NTSB Report

• Sad 1