Storm Troopers

Posted (edited)

The name originated from the remarkable bravery of Canadian farm boys in  WW1.

What happened to us to get us to the point where we are terrified by the numbers rich and powerful people put on the telescreen?

Edited by Eddy

I believe he is attempting to make a point that we Canadian have become weak.

Weakness is defined by doing what is necessary to protect our fellow citizens from sickness and death.  That is referred to as Sacrifice.

Yes over the last 15 months we have had to SACRIFICE temporarily some freedoms in order to facilitate the well being of our fellow citizens.  This is no different than an enlisted soldier sacrificing his freedoms (Temporarily) to fight on behalf of the safety of his fellow citizens.  The main difference is that the soldier is placing himself directly in harms way to provide that protection.  We, on the other hand, are removing ourselves from harms way to the same end.

All Canadian have the responsibility to help their fellow Citizen.  sometimes that involves sacrifice in various forms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, boestar said:

This is no different than an enlisted soldier sacrificing his freedoms (Temporarily) to fight on behalf of the safety of his fellow citizens.

Your point is well taken and I largely share the sentiment, but (there's always a but eh?), as the poem says, “Tommy ain’t a bleeding fool, you know that Tommy sees”.

Unfortunately, what I see of that sacrifice is largely it’s absence and what I hear of its necessity is liberally sprinkled with BS that defies grade school logic.   

I could offer a myriad of examples of non-compliance at worst and weak sister effort at best  but the one that galls me most is droves of big city people under lock down orders driving to my little community (by the hundreds) as part of their sacrifice.

The only thing worse is having those very people tell me about how "we are all in this together."

Actually, that’s not true…. there is something worse, it’s having them debrief me about the nature of sacrifice. I'm not referring to your post BTW, it's simply that the nature of sacrifice is largely lost on people who lack the discipline to pay for what they demand or even stop gorging themselves long enough to lose 10 pounds. 

By way of example, the sacrifice required to hit our stated emission targets is well beyond the threshold of commitment possessed by the majority of people. I consider this a huge motivational barrier to achieving this (or any type) of goal(s) requiring mass participation and shared sacrifice. This particular issue (Covid) is a good illustrator since small scale non compliance has (or can have) huge effects on transmission and spread. By way of example, I find the political acceptance of shoulder to shoulder, mask-less, violent protest the very definition of appalling at every level but mostly at "the acceptance" level.     

So, I would say that your assertion (quoted), while laudable, is mired in the difficulty of execution at all levels. It's why California serves as a testing ground (for me) and why I watch what happens there. Never mind the true nature of sacrifice, how do you get people to simply stick around and pay their bills.

Edited by Wolfhunter

And for anyone who may have wondered where my personal BS threshold lies, this here is that there:

Jagmeet Singh says there's a link between anti-maskers and far-right extremism

The next step is to label those contrary minded as being extremest for thinking what they think and/or daring to articulate a contrary opinion. These folks, and their acolytes, represent the exact extremism they appear to rail against. 

The internet and information age is a double edged sword, they may find that the amount of BS accepted by the voting public is inversely proportional to the depth of application. 

14 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

And for anyone who may have wondered where my personal BS threshold lies, this here is that there:

Jagmeet Singh says there's a link between anti-maskers and far-right extremism

The next step is to label those contrary minded as being extremest for thinking what they think and/or daring to articulate a contrary opinion. These folks, and their acolytes, represent the exact extremism they appear to rail against. 

The internet and information age is a double edged sword, they may find that the amount of BS accepted by the voting public is inversely proportional to the depth of application. 

Same reframe voiced by the Current Mayor of Calgary, who will not be running for re-election this time around. 

Calgary mayor says anti-mask rallies are ‘thinly veiled white nationalist’ protests

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi says some recent rallies billed as opposing the wearing of masks during the pandemic are really just “thinly veiled white nationalist” and “anti-government” activities. In an interview with The West Block guest host Abigail Bimman, Nenshi expressed his frustration with the fact that people refusing to wear masks and gathering in large crowds are endangering others.

Posted (edited)

The risk (to them) is that the absurdity of their assertions results in the de-platforming of themselves.

I'm almost there myself now. You don't even need to read it, the link is redundant.... the headline speaks for itself. It's an old movie. Soon I'll ignore the headline just as I do the text.

When absurdity takes over, leaving nothing of substance to discuss, you find yourself ignored and then, once sufficiently ignored, you discover what real de-platforming is and have no one else to blame. Once that happens it's a long road back, and for some (like me), that road ends abruptly on the other side of the bridge to no where.

If there is such a thing as an un-ignore button I'm pretty sure I will never be in search of it.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Frustrating to say the least, watching Singh make these rascist statements against white people, with absolutely zero evidence to back it up....

Posted (edited)

Maybe this is the perfect thread, so let's just think about it for a second.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-hoa-veteran-american-flag-codes

Too cool, they actually had a meeting and they actually talked about this, and while it bogles the mind, no one at the meeting said "hey, wait a minute, maybe we will look like bloody idiots for pursuing this." 

My goodness, somehow, it's OK for ANTIFA to "burn rags" (as they they call it) on the streets of Portland whilst vandalizing businesses and terrorizing people during the hight of a Covid lockdown, but woe to a Navy veteran who hangs the same "rag" from a tree (on private property) out of respect, service, duty and patriotism. 

Keep up the good work dummies, you weave the tapestry of your own demise. 

Ya, so OK, it's not like he was flying it in accordance with protocols, but ANTIFA wasn't burning it in accordance with the damn things either... right? RIGHT?

Just stop it.....

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1