shifts etc

Guest ame767

gentle men;

currently in ywg at ac we have the biggest mess i've ever seen. moral is at an alltime low, 120 guys just went out the door and they've arbitrarily decided to screw with the shifts...5-2 with 4-3 weekend but 4 hour overlap on 10 hour shift,3 crews trying to crawl over the plane at once, 4 days a week. i was wondering if all the other cities have been affected too ..yul,yvr esp. as they've told us, or just wg? also for the acr guys, we heard you got a couple of lap joints out early so they changed your shift from 5-5 to 5-2 fixed - hows production?

something is going on. i hear all heavy bases are being forced onto the 5-2. i think zeoller is running the show without consulting anyone regardless of what it will do for production and morale

Here in yyz there is a shift committee being formed,but the bid was to already closed,but rumor has it that our shop committee chairman ALF only had pro 4x4 people submit their name so he extended it to try to get pro 5-2 people,go figure

Guest ken hickerson

I thought 'ol alf was 'pro 4*4'. I guess you never can tell. Why is there a shift committee in yyz? no way they'll go back to the bad ol days...is there? I heard that yul and HPWO were able to keep their old shift. Anybody else hear that?

The boys from the old CAIL want a 4x4 and so do most of the AC people,but the old dinosaurs refuse to give up the good old stats,plus the mid ramp people are raising a stink saying they will refuse a 4x4 if their start times are altered,I believe the comments by one Mr. marijuana was'I will kill some body if they touch my start time'

Guest Canmech

Management has told the employees in YVR heavy that Winnipeg heavy has just had their 4/4 shift cancelled.Is there any truth to this?

Yet on the line in YVR the the ex-CDN mech's have been forced on to a 4/4 fixed shifts (earlydays,latedays and graveyards') by Air Canada management.Productivity? HUMMMMH!

Guest norseman

Canmech

This is true the 4-4 is gone in YWG, and I can tell you that there are not alot of happy people here. First they take away our A and B checks from line maint, then they layoff 120 people, then switch our shift to 5-2/4-3 and the 4-3 is straight weekends without asking anyone on the floor (ie shift commitee). What happened to HPWO?

Guest Wingnut

Why the hell should they give up there stats. None of us should have to give up anything.Were the most poorly treated and under paid people in the industry. Stop acting like a whore.

'Why the hell should they give up there stats. None of us should have to give up anything.Were the most poorly treated and under paid people in the industry. Stop acting like a whore.'

Before you go shooting your uninformed pie hole off,this is the story,the shop committee only wants its pro 5-2 buddies on the shift committee so that the 4x4 will never have a chance as a shift proposal even though the majority want a 4x4!Let use your line of reason but twist it towards the 4x4 logic,why should some one be forced on to a Tuesday Wednesday as a weekend,put a whole lot of stress on their personal lives,force them to work approx 80 extra days a year,drive in to work those 80 extra days,spend more on gas,wear and tear on their car,body family life,etc etc for approx $2000 after taxes all because a small group want stats.And you call me a whore!Hey here is a novel thought maybe if our illustrious union actually did what they are paid to do and negotiate a decent pay raise then maybe stat pay would not be an issue to certain people!BTW the stat pay is only for areas that require 7 day coverage,most people who work heavy maintenance get the day off!As I said the majority here in YYZ want a 4x4 but our so called representation does not want us to have it,but hey there is always stat pay to look forward to as a lot of personal lives crumble!You know you suite your moniker

Sorry I have not heard anything about the shifts in YVR,if I am not mistaken the only shift the company can impose is the 5-2,they can not force a 4x4 or a 6-3 due to it being a compressed work week,but if there is such a shift already established then who knows,they may have the ability to do so

Take a deep breath Buzz... I think his issue was simply with giving up the stats. I agree it should never be an issue. It simply should never have been on the table and will undoubtedly be removed from any next time deals.

In YYZ I'm pretty certain the majority of your new partners in crime are in favour of a 4 4... and I have more than good reason to believe, so is Brian Hebbes. It has been demonstrated time and again to be a more productive and less costly shift. Brian and all the ex-CDN managers who only accepted it because it was proven to be so, are well aware of that.

Many times they tried to create the belief that they thought a 5 2 was better for the company, just so we'd give something else up for the 4 4... It never worked because we were the ones who had proven the 4 4 to be the cheaper shift.

Our philosophy was always to give up nothing for it, let them throw us on a 5 2 if they wanted to be stubborn, and soon they would be putting us on the 4 4 anyway because of lost production and greater costs. But it never got to that sillyness because they understood from the beginning that we'd play the game if they insisted...

We knew the shift worked better for the company and we knew the game. I suspect things aren't so different now...

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitch,

I agree with you on the shift structure,yes we all can play the game if they want.I was just ticked at this guys derogatory remark.I firmly believe that we can get at least partial stats i.e if we are on duty that day but full stats will be a big push

Well, if that's the case, Alf has to hear from the rest of us!

Conehead... I was on the shift commitee where I work for the last couple of years, but as far as I know, we haven't been invited to participate anywhere as of yet... We're being told we'll get something shoved at us now and there's nothing we can do about it... I haven't got a 'blue book' (none of us have, that I know of) and most of us have the feeling we need to resign ourselves to a few more years of hell before we can effect some serious corrections in what we think is a pretty lousy contract.

My understanding has been that you folks couldn't do anything to change your shifts if the company didn't want it to happen... But as I said, without a rule book, I know nothing.

Just a word of advise from someone who's been there done that, Any suggestion of a coordinated work to rule ,can and will be deemed an illegal job action.

The company has pulled posts from this site and used them as evidence to obtain a cease and desist order.

Brett

Bill

I agree that unless you are willing to do what it takes to improve your position then, you should sit down and shut up.

The point I was making is that if you are going to encourage a work to rule campaign on a public forum then it should be done as an anonymous poster as it will come back to haunt you personally.

just some friendly advise

Brett

Archived