United to start hiring based on Diversity?


Recommended Posts

United Airlines announces diversity goals, Twitter users respond with mockery: 'Next, please hire blind pilots'

United Airlines was roasted on social media after vowing that 50% of the company's pilots will be women or people of color over the next decade. 
 

“ No. Your pilots should reflect the absolute best of the best, no matter their race or gender. Nobody is so committed to 'diversity' that they'd willingly choose to board a plane piloted by someone who got the job through affirmative action,” conservative commentator Matt Walsh tweeted on Tuesday.”

 

 

 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/united-airlines-diversity-goal-mocked-slammed

Edited by Jaydee
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just pilots - imagine if your hospital said they would hire surgeons according to diversity criteria.  Would anyone accept this?  Somehow the public seems to think pilots are exactly the same and are interchangeable - I'm here to tell you this is not so!

This is not to say that women and minorities can't be excellent pilots - they certainly can and I've worked with many that are.  The problem, however, is that if you decide to choose 50% of your newhires from a dramatically smaller pool it's statistically impossible to maintain the same standard.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seeker said:

if you decide to choose 50% of your newhires from a dramatically smaller pool it's statistically impossible to maintain the same standard.

Good thing the pool is a lot wider then isn't it. 

More women and people of colour will take a look at the profession and see it as a possible career path.  Right now there is no greater bastion of white male selectivity in north america than the flight ops department of most major airlines.  I'm amazed nobody has ever tweaked to that.   

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Specs said:

Good thing the pool is a lot wider then isn't it. 

More women and people of colour will take a look at the profession and see it as a possible career path.  Right now there is no greater bastion of white male selectivity in north america than the flight ops department of most major airlines.  I'm amazed nobody has ever tweaked to that.   

 

 

 

The wider the pool the better for everyone.  I encourage and welcome all who might choose the career path.  The problem comes when 15% of the applicants fit the "diversity" characterization but 50% of the chosen will come from there.  I have worked with many excellent women pilots and many excellent pilots who would check the box for "diversity" - got no problem at all with that.  The problem comes when an organization chooses to hire 50% of their pilots from a pool of only 15 % - that's gonna lead to hiring lesser quality people - simple statistics.  If you're hiring people to sit in an office maybe that's not a big deal but if you're hiring pilots maybe that is a big deal.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, seeker said:

If you're hiring people to sit in an office maybe that's not a big deal but if you're hiring pilots maybe that is a big deal.

I'm sure the less than capable will be weeded out by the time they start flying the line.

Edited by Specs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seeker said:

The problem, however, is that if you decide to choose 50% of your newhires from a dramatically smaller pool it's statistically impossible to maintain the same standard

Look no further than the Trudeau Liberal Cabinet for proof. Most diversity appointments have been a disaster.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Specs said:

I'm sure the less than capable will be weeded out by the time the start flying the line.

Not a chance. Once the ball begins to move, all hires will make it to the line. The visibility of scratching even a few cases gets you headline news and condemnation on every social media platform that exists. It creates severe contempt within the current workforce when they see extra Sims, dedicated 'special' checkers and endless indoc sectors. Worse, the candidates that actually have the ability to excel get painted with the same brush as their incompetent counterparts.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there is another thread on here were a pilot wrapped themselves in a larger cause and connected it to a legal issue.

Human nature has its pros and cons.  Among the cons is the need to dominate using any means possible.  As well meaning and well founded as the direction to be more inclusive is, we as a society have not yet figured out how to prevent the abuse or gaming of corrective measures by those seeking unfair leverage.

If there is going to be a widening of hiring criteria to include things not tied to skill, knowledge and experience, then the checking criteria and check pilots will need enhanced protection.  Otherwise it is a matter of when, not if, a checker observes a failure and the candidate decides to reframe the event as something sinister.   This is not speculation.  I've personally seen it in the sim following merger(s) of groups, where the checker and candidate were not from the same original airline.

Just my opinion.

Vs

  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, seeker said:

The problem comes when 15% of the applicants fit the "diversity" characterization but 50% of the chosen will come from there. 

Just look at our Federal cabinet to see how that works out

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Look no further than the Trudeau Liberal Cabinet for proof. Most diversity appointments have been a disaster.

I should have read the whole thread before I posted what I think is almost a word-for-word copy of yours

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a female or a person of diverse background - do I want a company to promote such a quota?  So people think I got the job, not on my merits, but because of what I look like or the chromosome at conception?

No thanks.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NEW diversity in Airline Crew Casual Dress....

 

First you need to accessorize...

(no video...just screen shots)

ScreenShot012.jpg.273b7b5147a06b2b374552125fbf8be3.jpg

The latest  Louis  Voulton purse...$39,000.00 USD

Add an all season coat

ScreenShot013.jpg.8bfbd59f791ee0f4c65effefa326ac6f.jpg

 

( Why yes, Ma'am I am a pilot.)😎

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.