A BIT OF CLARITY......Your COVID shot

Kip Powick

And I said, as one who is soaking up info on vaccines, that they all tend to perform a bit better in the real world than they did in those limited and rather time-constrained trials. For example, the Brits have found that AstraZeneca has a higher efficacy - well above the original trials - when the interval between doses is extended. First doses of all the vaccines seem to be doing better than the trials. The first dose of Pfizer has an 80% efficacy rate after four weeks, the second dose is more of a top-up. But the trials suggested greater urgency to get a second dose after only two weeks because the efficacy build was something like 59% at that point. J&J is also proving to continue to build protection even after four weeks. 

I get my first shot of ?????? tomorrow.

When I booked, on line, I had no option but to wait for  4 months for the next shot and it is booked.

I am wondering if they may back that date up, if and when, they get at least one shot into everyone in Ontario prior to my second appointment with "nurse Grannie Higgins".

My friends in FLA had 18 days between shots.

Good video.  So are we all going to remember this new knowledge when it comes time for the flu shot next year?  Efficacy of 60% ish usually.?

Kip the spacing between shots is a result of a fast paced trial.  Antibodies peak at the 2 week mark and they juice the people again.  Although expedient for trial purposes, we know from previous vaccines that maximum efficacy is normally longer between shots.  Shingles, for example, is 2-6 months between doses for maximum efficacy.

Currently researchers are going back and trying to find the efficacy sweet spot for second dose timing.  None of that research is published or peer reviewed as of yet.  However those making the decisions on dose timing have a feel for how that data is unfolding.  

One such study not peer reviewed yet.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centr ... tions.html

The 12-week interval was 81% effective, compared with 55% for the 6-week interval. The researchers also found that a single dose of the vaccine was 76% effective 3–12 weeks after the shot was administered.

Archived